Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

X90 - come close to using my slr

Hi there i want everyone to know, i finally have found a great point and shoot camera, i have owned many cameras including the panasonic f35 which has great ratings, how ever the pentax has gone a few steps forward. Its great having an electic view finder as well as a nice size screen, the 26 xx zoom is fantastic ( Check it out at X90 simulator: Pentax X90 digital camera zoom test ). The camera is made well, in gun metal blue. it really come close to using my slr, with out carrying all the lenses, etc, Thank You Pentax.

10-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only things that keep me from buying an X-90 are:

1. Bulk. I generally don't want to carry a bridge camera because if I were going to carry something that can't fit in my pocket, I'd have an SLR.

2. Control: The X90 doesn't have real aperture blades, and I believe you only have 2 aperture settings to choose from.
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
X90 is far better in my eyes than just a point & shoot. It's a DSLR without the need for lenses really. This is my 1st Pentax camera & did my homework before getting the X90. I could have gotten a real DSLR, but at a much bigger price & I don't really want to carry that many lenses around with me. You can buy an adapter that will allow you to put 72mm filters on it so in fact it turns it into a DSLR anyway. It's a brilliant camera for anyone really. I plan on buying my 17yo son one for christmas
04-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In reply to unixrevolution:

The X90 is too big to comfortably fit into a pocket unless you have a jacket with real big pockets, but it will fit in the palm of your hand and is a lot smaller than a full DSLR.

I don't know where you heard that it only has two aperture settings - you can set a full range of apertures in aperture priority or manual modes and the camera will set them for you automatically in automatic or program modes.

04-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

I've had my x90 for a couple of months and growing to like it more and more. I had a Canon hybrid for years and liked it very much but I suspect a young one got hold of it and..well destruction. The price was right on the x90 and like others here I got tired of carrying around this huge bag of lenses for my DSLR Canon that is monster sized...(old Rebel EOS XT) I can now do a great macro, wide angle, general shots, darn good flash, focus assist, and a super duper zoom from one camera although of course with nothing near the quality of the high price stuff. It was disappointing that they did not put the larger new generation sensor in the x90 but that's another story.

I do find a lot about the camera confusing though even though I've been doing photography and studying it for 40 years. I want a forum section just for us. What do you say? Everyone suggest we get released from point and shoot...x90 is not a point and shoot by any means...and be able to share experiences and exchange ideas and understandings of how this camera which is unto itself a kind of camera. I call them hybrids not PandS. If you this camera a a prism to see out the lens it would be a DSLR. (single lens reflex) is all that means. I would be willing to call is a DSLDR digital single lens with digital view finder. It has all the settings of all the SLR's I've owned...(3) so why they call it a point and shoot I don't know. My DSLR can point and shoot too. Kodak Instamatic..now that was a point and shoot. What was that so popular Canon..the 35mm powershot? Now that was a point and shoot. Even if you have auto focus you are not point and shoot. We need more categories.

Last edited by ejbpesca; 04-19-2011 at 12:53 PM.
04-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

I agree, I call mine a DSLR, it's basically that without the need to buy an expensive lens, you can in fact attach filters to it via a lens adapter that costs next to nothing & filters are a dine a dozen. It in fact makes it so much more like DLSR than a point & shoot.

I have a Kodak something digital...THAT is a point & shoot.... my Pentax X90...is NOT just a point & shoot. I can't set a point & shoot in so many ways as I can this. My husband got a SLR, it's nowhere near as good as this one.
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacqueline Quote
I agree, I call mine a DSLR, it's basically that without the need to buy an expensive lens, you can in fact attach filters to it via a lens adapter that costs next to nothing & filters are a dine a dozen. It in fact makes it so much more like DLSR than a point & shoot.
There is much more to a DSLR than just attaching filters ;-)
And quality filters in 72mm are not cheap

04-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
There is much more to a DSLR than just attaching filters ;-)
And quality filters in 72mm are not cheap
Yes true, but how many typical point & shoots can actually have filters on there (regardless of the price) at all? Like I said....hubby has a SLR. I find it harder to use than my X90. I would rather buy some expensive or not so expensive filters to fit mine than to buy a whole new lens to fit a DSLR.
04-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

To be honest, I barely use filters. As far as I know the only filters which cannot be reproduced in post processing are the polarizer and the ND filters.
And a lens shade is usually enough to protect the front lens.
04-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #10

Ah--the endless debate over DSLR, Point and Shoot, Bridge cameras. Too big, Don't fit in my pocket, doesn't do this and does do that. I especially like the negative comments from those who have not owned an X90 or similar brand.
I look at cameras much the same as I look at my shop tools. Cameras are a tool and no one tool does everything perfect or even very well. They all have their good points as well as limitations.
I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on 5 SLR/DSLR systems and endless lenses,
filters, flashes and other stuff.
And a few hundred dollars on compact cameras like the X90 or smaller ones. Have been very happy to have the little tools along when the 20 pound bag of tools wasn't desired as I have taken some awesome shots that I would have never gotten had I decided the compact tools were not perfect and hence not worth owning.
Anyway--enough said--just my thoughts on the debate.
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote
...I have taken some awesome shots that I would have never gotten had I decided the compact tools were not perfect and hence not worth owning.
Anyway--enough said--just my thoughts on the debate.
Agreed, Larry. I'm in much the same boat and carry a P&S with me at all times, as well as owning several P&S, bridge cams and so on. They all have their place.
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

I have about 3 p&s in total. I was after a DSLR, but the price of just the body was out of my range. Then I discovered x90. I was thrilled. I'll never own a DSLR at this rate, but damn good shots on this.... damn good shots. I now do not want a DSLR, cause if I break it or whatever...I can't afford a new one. This one is better than the DSLRs I was trying out, P&S my ass.....this is so much more than that.
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

What you say here is why I appealed for a special section for the x90 since it is so unique unto itself but was turned down, nope, must stay in the section of compact p&s. No one in their right mind would buy an x90 wanting a point and shoot compact camera because neither it is. Soo many names have been pinned on these cameras. I stick with "hybrid." The only thing I ask for from the manufacturers is to get the sensor bigger.

There is no bridge here. You are stuck with your cheap lens on the x90. No filter will change that. But..with enough shots and persistence of shooting some fine results can happen. But...so much of what we want to photograph is only available for a second. To reach in a huge bag of lenses, grab the right one, figure out what settings are best, etc. the shot is gone. The ever ready x90 helps with that problem of getting that shot fast.

I wish we had a section for this camera to share experiences of how to make it perform to its max by focusing on its capabilities and short comings to get that one shot out of a hundred. How was it set, what were the conditions, when it was shot, all info placed here to lend info to those who have either left DSLR back to a hybrid or moved up from a p&s to a hybrid. They truly are in their own little category yet it seems so few people use them compared to the other ends of the spectrum they so are dismissed into the polarization of two kinds of cameras...DSLR/Compact There are now DSLR's smaller than an x90 so how are they compact? Try sticking one in your shirt pocket.
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I still call them bridge cameras. Reasoning is as follows:

a) The form factor is SLR-like. Its not the same, because its not as big or heavy, and it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. It does have from its P&S heritage, a zoom around the shutter button (unless you have one of the later model fujis, in which case zoom and focus are manual, on the lens, LIKE a dSLR)
b) you get a viewfinder. Its not anywhere near as good as an optical viewfinder on a dSLR but it works, and in bright daylight, you don't want to be without one
c) You get manual control over aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
d) You DON'T get a big sensor: Most (not all) bridge cameras (and it does apply to the X90) have a sensor that is smaller than your little fingernail. But this is how and why the manufacturer can stick a lens on that seems like its a huge long lens. Crop factor at work here.

They are a bridge between the P&S genre, and the dSLR or m4/3 cameras, should you want to move on to something bigger and better.

There's a world of difference between the images coming off these tiny sensors and those from the interchangeable lens cameras, and the gap is not closing much because of the technical limitations of the camera itself.

If you take pix to improve your techniques, send shots to friends and family, post them on the web, any of these cameras will be just fine. Don't set yourself up as a professional photographer though, because the quality just is not there once you start doing really big prints.
04-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Forum Member

I agree. Bridge is a good name and almost synonymous with hybrid. My problem is $. I have my x90 which replaced my Canon S1. I have my Rebel XT which replaced my Rebel 300D...so no big deal difference between any of them. I just want to settle down with a forum discussion area for us folks who have the bridge cams and the cheap DSLR's in hopes to boost our abilities within our limitations. I don't have a home in the forum. It is like either you have this fantastic stuff or you are just sharing snapshots from a cheap camera. I'm trying to push the envelope....push these low end cameras to the max..or am I just dreaming here? I did a shoot today with sooo many settings off the x90 on a sunset. No processing yet. If I don't get something really cool, I'll give up and just take my snapshots....yet..some of the work I do gets rave reviews and I'm wondering if others with just the camera I have..the x90 are learning secrets about it that boost its capabilities...there are sooo many settings on this thing it would be nice to confine a discussion area just for this camera.
jb