Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #1

W10 repeating image/file names

Hi,

I am new here an am hoping someone out there can help me with what I hope is a small problem.

I am a moderatly fanatical photography buff and a fanatical kayaker. Most of my kayak photo's are shot with my W10. I had a new flash module installed on warranty a few months ago. Since the repair, my camera has been assigning the same file name to more than one photo. When I download to my computer it asks if it should append the file names because they are the same. The appended names are the origional file names, which have been assigned more thatn once, with a number in brackets following it. When the pics are loaded into my computer they are no longer in the order I shot them in, which is a nightmare for organising the photo's. I can't seem to find info with regard to settings on the file management system that might apply to this (the user manual leaves a little to be desired).

Am I doing something wrong or should I take the camera back in to the shop.

Thanks,

Ken

09-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't you download to a different folder? Sounds like your camera's brain was wiped clean during the repair and is starting the count over.
09-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
W10 and repeating file names

The file counter on the camera was reset and I started with a clean memory card. the camera stored files to eg. IMG0000 in sequence up to IMG0045 then named the next 5 or so files IMG0032 IMG0033 etc Giving me more than one pic with the same file name.

It's driving me, I'm going to take it in tomorrow.

Thanks for replying!

Ken
09-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, but, I recently changed my Folder Name setting under Settings to "Standard" from "Date" because it would start over with IMGP0001 every new day, rather than continuing the old numbers. Now it continues to count up. Of course, your problem could be different, but you might check that out. (then, I also rename them with the date, the camera model, and the img number since I have four Pentax cameras now that all use the same file naming format - so I'll get "20070816_W10_IMGP0763.jpg" or "20070816_K10_IMGP4562.pef"