Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
X90 questions

I'm considering purchasing a X90 and have a couple questions for those of you that have one.
First off let me say that I have been disappointed in the compact digital cameras I've had. Panasonic and Canon.
My primary cameras are DSLRs. A K100d and a K-x.
With the compacts, shutter lag has only been acceptable if you are taking a picture of a stump. Anything moving--forget it.
I also have had issues with rechargable OEM batteries. Since I didn't use the compacts much it seemed every time I went to use it the battery had discharged.
So I target DSLRs that use AA batteries as they stay charged and are easy to slip in a new set when needed. I get 1200-1500 shots per set.
So to the questions:
How does the shutter lag on a X90 compare to a DSLR?
Does the battery remain charged if setting idle for weeks?
I'd like the X90 for general use when I don't want to lug the DSLRs and associated lenses along.

10-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote
I'm considering purchasing a X90 and have a couple questions for those of you that have one.
First off let me say that I have been disappointed in the compact digital cameras I've had. Panasonic and Canon.
My primary cameras are DSLRs. A K100d and a K-x.
With the compacts, shutter lag has only been acceptable if you are taking a picture of a stump. Anything moving--forget it.
I also have had issues with rechargable OEM batteries. Since I didn't use the compacts much it seemed every time I went to use it the battery had discharged.
So I target DSLRs that use AA batteries as they stay charged and are easy to slip in a new set when needed. I get 1200-1500 shots per set.
So to the questions:
How does the shutter lag on a X90 compare to a DSLR?
Does the battery remain charged if setting idle for weeks?
I'd like the X90 for general use when I don't want to lug the DSLRs and associated lenses along.

If you notice shutter lag in a K-x, going to a superzoom will not help you. Turn off some automation if the camera is refusing at you.

Or rejoin the world of mechanical film cameras.

As for how newer superzooms compare to older ones... Open question. I do not know. With my older one, killing the AWB was the *biggest* thing that'd improve response time, for some reason, but it wasn't enough to be competing with SLRs. I presume they're somewhat better that way by now, though.
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You may have misunderstood some of my ramblings. Shutter lag is certainly not an issue with my DSLRs--K-x or K100d. They are virtually the same as my film SLR systems.
My concern is with the compact products I have from Panasonic and Canon. I know the X90 will not be as good as the DSLRs but just trying to get a real world feel from current owners if shutter lag seems significant.
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have had my X90 for only a little while. It's perfect for me & can easily be just as good (if not better) than any DSLR is. The shutter lag has not been a problem with me, I can take some great shots while going at 110km/h in a car.

11-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you are using rechargeable AA batteries, you might try the Eneloop batteries, by Sanyo. They come pre-charged and will hold 85% of their charge for a year. If you use a smart charger that doesn't burn batteries up on charging, they will stay charged in your device for a good long time. Prior to the Eneloop batteries that I use, I tried all manner of rechargeable batteries. In every situation, if I put fully charged batteries into my camera and didn't use it for several weeks to a month, the batteries were dead. With Eneloop batteries, They can stay in my device for extended periods of time and still retain their charge.
11-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
If you are using rechargeable AA batteries, you might try the Eneloop batteries, by Sanyo. They come pre-charged and will hold 85% of their charge for a year. If you use a smart charger that doesn't burn batteries up on charging, they will stay charged in your device for a good long time. Prior to the Eneloop batteries that I use, I tried all manner of rechargeable batteries. In every situation, if I put fully charged batteries into my camera and didn't use it for several weeks to a month, the batteries were dead. With Eneloop batteries, They can stay in my device for extended periods of time and still retain their charge.

The X90 does not take AA batteries They actually take a D-LI106
11-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote

isn't the X90 about as big as any of your slr's?
11-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacqueline Quote
The X90 does not take AA batteries They actually take a D-LI106
I'm sorry, I assumed that the OP was referring to issues with other compact camera batteries.

11-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #9

Perhaps they were, I just went on the fact they wanted to buy an X90.... smile be happy