Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #1

will Pentax make an Optio with RAW capability?

I know there are some other compact digital camera out there that are not water proof but can shoot RAW, so my question is: can we expect an optio that will replace the W90 anytime in the near future that can shoot RAW? Are there some serious technological barriers in the way? Seems like the technology has come a long way with a 12 mp sensor from the 7 mp of my old optio W30. This is the single drawback about the W90 for me, if it could shoot in RAW it would be perfect. Thanks for your input! -Loren E

11-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, I doubt it, since the camera's buffer is likely very small. Also, keep in mind that 90% of the people using that camera don't even know what aperture is, and that's certainly a deciding factor for when the firmware developers sit down to talk about features

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The folks that sit down and talk about features for the Lumix LX3, LX5 and Nikon P7000 certainly talk about these things. They also have a 1/1.63 or 1/1.7 sensor also. The W90 would kick butt with these upgrades.
11-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The folks that sit down and talk about features for the Lumix LX3, LX5 and Nikon P7000 certainly talk about these things. They also have a 1/1.63 or 1/1.7 sensor also. The W90 would kick butt with these upgrades.
I agree 100%. I shoot raw with my LX3 all of the time, as in 100% of the time. I think people who shell out $350-450 on a P&S expect a raw option more and more these days as not all P&S cameras are meant for weekend snap-shooters.

11-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also agree. The point is, Pentax has no mid or high-end P&S camera for the moment, only entry-level. And entry-level cameras usually are not able to save as RAW.
If they were ever releasing a higher level P&S (something closer to the LX or Canon G series) I think they'd shot RAW as well.
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
I also agree. The point is, Pentax has no mid or high-end P&S camera for the moment, only entry-level. And entry-level cameras usually are not able to save as RAW.
If they were ever releasing a higher level P&S (something closer to the LX or Canon G series) I think they'd shot RAW as well.
I don't recall seeing a compact that has sensors smaller than the ones I mentioned earlier that records in RAW. I had an early Nikon bridge that recorded in NEF they may have had a smaller sensor than that.