Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 57
compact with RAW?

I was looking at Pentax compacts for when I don't feed like carrying my DSLR around. It doesn't look like Pentax offers one that captures RAW.

Is that correct, or am I missing one?

11-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,092
Presently no Pentax P&S with RAW

As even the last flagship, the A40, didn't offer it, no RAW available.
I seem to remember there was one model with tiff, but I am not sure.
Have a look at

Pentax Digital Cameras / by Manufacture / Digital Cameras / Camera-Catalog.com

Unfortunately you cannot sort the models.

Have also a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-digital-film-cameras/12159...apability.html

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-10-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Information added
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
As I recall only the Canon G series (9, 10, 11, & 12) offer RAW.
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 57
Original Poster
That's what I though. Thanks!

11-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member
mtroute's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 532
yep Canon has raw in all the recent G series with the exception of the G7 (there is a hack to enable however). I have the G9 and love it.
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,902
QuoteQuote:
As I recall only the Canon G series (9, 10, 11, & 12) offer RAW.
I think Panasonic as well.
11-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
The Lumix LX3 and LX as well as the Leica clones have raw as does the Nikon P7000 and Sigma DP1 and DP2.
11-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 32
Canon's S series of cameras offers RAW (apart from the 2005 S80).

I've never seen a Optio that supports RAW natively.

11-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
Actually, in the past year or two, several models from several brands are raw capable. As mentioned, the Panasonic Lumix LX3 and LX5 as well as the Canon S90 and S95 along with the G series and the new Nikon P7000. I am sure there are some others, but not in the Pentax lineup.

Jason
11-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
Posts: 161
Add the Fuji HS10 - and Panasonic FZ100...
11-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member
geauxpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,197
The Samsung TL500 can shoot raw.

I bought one for the same reason you are looking for a compact camera, had it for a week & sent it back. I didn't like that so many features were buried in menus which took away from spontaneous shooting, there were lots of features that were turned off or unavailable in more manual modes and the hotshoe can't trip a simple flash trigger. I have my SLR for carefully composed shots and may get a simple, cheap P&S for candids. Sorry for the rant!
11-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
The Samsung TL500 can shoot raw.

I bought one for the same reason you are looking for a compact camera, had it for a week & sent it back. I didn't like that so many features were buried in menus which took away from spontaneous shooting, there were lots of features that were turned off or unavailable in more manual modes and the hotshoe can't trip a simple flash trigger. I have my SLR for carefully composed shots and may get a simple, cheap P&S for candids. Sorry for the rant!
I dont know about on other models, but on the Panasonics, there is "My Mode" or something similarly named which you can have all your favorite settings saved and with one click of the dial, it chooses your own custom mode. For example on my LX3, my custom mode is raw, auto iso 80-400, auto WB, center focus, AE.

I almost never use any other modes, but there are some cool presets in the LX3 when I want to shoot B&W, Pinhole, or bracketing. Otherwise, I usally use my own custom preset leaving me no wasted time to power up, steady and shoot.

Jason
11-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member
geauxpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I dont know about on other models, but on the Panasonics, there is "My Mode" or something similarly named which you can have all your favorite settings saved and with one click of the dial, it chooses your own custom mode. For example on my LX3, my custom mode is raw, auto iso 80-400, auto WB, center focus, AE.

I almost never use any other modes, but there are some cool presets in the LX3 when I want to shoot B&W, Pinhole, or bracketing. Otherwise, I usally use my own custom preset leaving me no wasted time to power up, steady and shoot.

Jason
There was non that I could find on the TL500.
11-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oracle, Az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
I don't see any advantage to shooting RAW with a P&S.
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I don't see any advantage to shooting RAW with a P&S.
Have you ever tried? I have compared the in camera jpeg results versus the raw results I get after 30-45 seconds of PP in LR and the results are exceptional from my LX3.

Jason
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, pentax, pentax cameras, point and shoot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[K10D RAW+]Exposure difference between RAW and JPEG sterretje Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-13-2010 02:06 AM
What's the easiest way to process RAW shots for a total RAW noob? Grimlock Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 09-03-2008 02:22 PM
Does the Photoshop RAW converter work with Pentax RAW Files? mconder Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-15-2008 12:14 PM
RAW, New Computer, PSE5 & 3.7 RAW Plug in. Ed in GA Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 11-20-2007 04:43 PM
Raw Therapee: free RAW converter/photo editor wheelgate Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 10-12-2007 06:44 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top