Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
Forum Member

I hear you. I think after all these years of being an enthusiast I'm back to what I've always known yet keep buying inexpensive cameras thinking a new one will get that photo I want which is really only possible with very expensive equipment and especially very high grade lenses.

Just got one of my DSLR's back and after some advice on a Canon forum I just may bite the bullet and get an expensive lens for it to see if I finally reach the super clarity, detail, and dynamic range I'm looking for. I'm going by the theory that the cam body is not the major factor in super hi res photos...it is a fine lens which will cost more than the whole camera kit for the least expensive.

Thanks for the advice.
jb

02-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think in general these superzooms are harder to master, but I've seen people saying the HS10, the X90, the SX30, the FZ100 the you name it superzoom are crap and incapable of taking an in focus picture. I've also see excellent photos with each and every one of them.

I think by nature of what they are they are a little harder to master and of course some people are unwilling to do anything but push the button. For those that do apply themselves, such as the posters on this thread, they get good results.

Here are some links to some eye candy for all of those cameras.

Pentax X90
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Pentax X90 pool

Panasonic FZ100
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from PANASONIC LUMIX FZ100 pool

Fuji HS10
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Fujifilm HS10 pool

Canon SX30
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Canon SX30 IS pool
02-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #18
Forum Member

After much reading and effort I am coming to find the little x90 will be a keeper but the most difficult camera to operate I've had out of a dozen. The manual alone bears evidence of its very complicated features. My Rebel XT is a breeze compared to the x90. I would prefer that Pentax or whoever made that camera put more into keeping the super zoom still than the bell's and whistles I find to be for the most part only fluff. Just by luck I may get a clear shot from high magnification by using the timer and a tripod, and get this, I was shooting from a pier yesterday only to find that the slight breeze and tide current caused the camera to shake enough to blur my shots. At full zoom it seems the vibes of the Earth shake the camera. The so called triple shake reduction does not seem to work. Anti shake (image stabilizer, i.e. iS) on my Canon S1iS worked very well but it was only 10x optizoom. I have not even tried turning on the digi zoom. In my opinion that feature is total snake oil on any camera.

With a little zoom and a steady hand I did get some cool shots of flowers on my camellia bushes and when compared to other cameras they turned out just as good or better. Got several good macros and playing with the wide and panorama gadget is very fun. It is very hard to line them up though for photo stitching which previously I had to do in processing.

I really loved my Canon S1iS the first of the Canon dslr hybrids as I call them, but the price of the x90 and the name Pentax was nostalgic for me so x90 will be my cam in backup for my Rebel XT since my S1iS finally bit the dust cap. The x90 feels so flimsy though. The lens wiggles around in its sections, but I guess thin materials help make it so light. I really like the big LCD monitor. With my old eyes I can use this feature for the first time. Battery lasts sufficiently and the machine gun like automatic shutter release is cool to show off. Finally I have a camera with a mem card that will pop into my laptop.

So, for someone wanting to spend hours of study and experiment, this camera is a fine purchase and I think cheaper by $100 or so than the other brands of similar cameras. They all are a lot of fun, small enough to be almost pocket size (a very big pocket) and a conversation piece if at a party where everyone is whooping out their tiny point and shoots wondering what that camera is that looks like a miniature DSLR. But, if one is only going to use this camera on auto you may want to just get a true point and shoot.

I look forward to seeing the photos the previous reply to this thread posted and maybe getting some of my own up here. My current project is shooting facilities of a community with amenities like golf course, stables, yacht club, tennis, and pools. What a challenge. Waiting for the greens to green up. I do this as a volunteer but gives me that pro feel going around with two cams and tripods taking hundreds of photos...and "writing with light." (Photo-light, Graph-write)
02-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I think in general these superzooms are harder to master, but I've seen people saying the HS10, the X90, the SX30, the FZ100 the you name it superzoom are crap and incapable of taking an in focus picture. I've also see excellent photos with each and every one of them.

I think by nature of what they are they are a little harder to master and of course some people are unwilling to do anything but push the button. For those that do apply themselves, such as the posters on this thread, they get good results.

Here are some links to some eye candy for all of those cameras.

Pentax X90
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Pentax X90 pool

Panasonic FZ100
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from PANASONIC LUMIX FZ100 pool

Fuji HS10
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Fujifilm HS10 pool

Canon SX30
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Canon SX30 IS pool
I'm looking for a reason to keep my FZ100 OR my P100... Can't keep both, and this user is failing to "get" how to use a bridge cam, after only a few years of using dslr. I used to get excellent shots out of my old S8000fd, but cannot seem to manage the same quality in either of the above.

I've currently got the P100 up for sale but was contemplating putting the FZ100 up as well... but still, there are times I don't want to cart all my dslr gear about. I think I need maybe to just put it down and concentrate on learning how to use a bridge cam all over again. :-/

The links above just prove to me that this user needs to do some more work!!

02-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Forum Member

I'm finding a good trick with the x90 as with other super zooms is not to use full zoom, have the cam set for L fine res then crop out of the image the part you wanted zoomed. This will not require such a steady hand and cropping will reduce the size of the file for easier attachment for uploading or email. I do the same thing for a macro shot. Instead of getting right up on the flower or bug, put it on L fine zoom in and shoot then reduce the size of the file for sending. Keep a big file of the shot for viewing on a big screen HD TV.