Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

X90 fantastic zoom - flea from 600 feet

all i can say is WOW, great value for money it is just brilliant for new wanabe photographers, it is a good price it has a fantastic 26xx zoom and is not to bulky, I like the fact that it is a point and shoot camera but you can also play with the settings and do manual focus etc. I am not planing on being a profetional photographer but this is all you will ever need for family photos and is also good at long shot photos of the family pet and the birds they are chasing

12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I think that it's a underestimated camera, and not too many people have it. Lots of dslr-like features!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it is a camera packed with features and great value for money...and I just bought one for my wife yesterday. It came with a Tamrac bag and a Slik mini tripod.

If more mega-pixels are better - my wife's camera (12.1 MP) has more than my K10D. Sigh!
12-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I just got an adapter for it today (took 3 weeks to get here) for my X90. I can now add any 72mm filter to it. So in fact I have now turned my point & shoot into a DSLR I am thrilled. I also got 25 filters for it, & that makes me even happier

It's a brilliant camera & I am trying to be a professional photographer. It does the job & more.

02-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

new x90

After years of Canon Rebel and years before of a K1000 I returned to Pentax with a new x90. Mixed feelings about this thing. I am getting really bad shots so far...grainy, little color, and the 26x zoom is useless so far. I am so hoping this is user problems and not the camera. I got some good shots by doing my own settings. The preset menu in scene mode seems to really mess this cam up. I have 15 more days to return it. Today will be the show down as I return to my sunset shoot place and use my own settings instead of sunset mode which produced the worst pics I've ever taken.

Like you I am enthused about this lil camera. I got tired of carrying around a suit case cam bag, lenses, etc.

I was wondering. How you you put a filter on an x90? Does it screw into the center lens section? Have you tried 26x? I go to that magnification on a tripod and all I get is a mess.

Thanks,
jb
02-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

What is the best setting for using the 26x zoom? I use it on a tripod and just get a mess on the screen.
02-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I love this camera the more pics i take the better i took a few pics the other day and this pic of my daughter on the bridge with the gum trees and the sun setting.
If i can get shots like this im a happy.
Attached Images

02-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Ejbpesca - Like many hobby shooters, I've been working my way though a series of Bridge Zooms before heading to DSLR - Fuji S2000HD, Canon SX10, and Fuji HS10.

Before buying the HS10 I looked at another Canon, Panasonic, bypassed the Nikon P100, and looked carefully at the X70/X90.

As the 20x/560mm SX10 does excellent Superfine JPEGS, up to 8-9MB, I was looking for some more range, RAW, and faster Continuous than the SX10's 1.4fps.

The X90 has a lot of good features, but doesn't have RAW, and does 1.4fps Continuous (same as the Canons SX10/20/30.)

Fuji's HS10 (after some early release problems and 2 firmware updates) - seemed to fill-in the things the SX10 wasn't doing. That is, 30x Zoom, RAW, and 12/8/5/3fps JPEG, and 5/3fps RAW and RAW+JPEG.

From long searching and a lot of Reviews and forums-reading, I expected the HS10 to have quite a "learning curve". It certainly did!

Actually - some of the "user problems" with the HS10 do look rather like the ones here re the X90 - particularly IQ (image quality) and keeping in focus further out in the Zoom.

And yes - I did try the "put it on a tripod" thing, early on - without much success!

Turns out that the HS10 doesn't much like the Auto and Program "camera auto snapshot" modes much at all.

Go to Aperture Priority, mainly for things "not moving", or only slowly - and Shutter Priority for "things moving" - and the difference was "Chalk-&-Cheese" - the fairly-good to pretty-good images started appearing rather soon after that!

Those modes are explained on Page 81 of the X90 Manual.

On a tripod I mostly use Manual mode, and Manual Focus - as that lets you control everything and "tell it what to do".

For moving targets, I set the HS10 in Spot Metering and Centre Focus - the X90 has equivalents to pre-set. I use the shake-reduction at Shoot-Only - the X90 seems to have an equivalent Shake Reduction mode - see Pages 131-132 in the Manual.

One of the things the Canon SX10 doesn't do, is Fast Continuous shooting - it has 1.4fps, while the HS10 has full resolution 12/8/5/3fps in JPEG and 5/3fps in RAW/RAW+JPEG. The 12fps is actually much too fast to be practical for most uses - the 8 or 5fps rates are more practical. Combined with shutter speed above 1/250th in Shutter Priority, Continuous works well on moving targets.

While the X90 is fairly slow in full resolution Continuous - it does have pretty good speeds in the Low / Medium / High Burst modes - these are at 5Mpix, still a very usable 2592 x 1944 image size. See Burst Modes on Manual Pages 93/94.

Page 94 also shows that the X90 has an Intervalometer function - that is, you can set the camera to take images at pre-set intervals over a set length of time - a very useful function - which none of my 3 cameras has!

Dave.

02-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks Dave that was well explained i will def be reading the pages you mentioned.
02-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Yes, it is a camera packed with features and great value for money...and I just bought one for my wife yesterday. It came with a Tamrac bag and a Slik mini tripod.

If more mega-pixels are better - my wife's camera (12.1 MP) has more than my K10D. Sigh!
Would love to see some shots from this Ray, I've been considering buying my Dad one for fathers day or birthday this year.

Geoff
02-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ejbpesca Quote
After years of Canon Rebel and years before of a K1000 I returned to Pentax with a new x90. Mixed feelings about this thing. I am getting really bad shots so far...grainy, little color, and the 26x zoom is useless so far. I am so hoping this is user problems and not the camera. I got some good shots by doing my own settings. The preset menu in scene mode seems to really mess this cam up. I have 15 more days to return it. Today will be the show down as I return to my sunset shoot place and use my own settings instead of sunset mode which produced the worst pics I've ever taken.

Like you I am enthused about this lil camera. I got tired of carrying around a suit case cam bag, lenses, etc.

I was wondering. How you you put a filter on an x90? Does it screw into the center lens section? Have you tried 26x? I go to that magnification on a tripod and all I get is a mess.

Thanks,
jb
Filteradapter 72mm für Pentax X90 (eBay item 250715884390 end time 21-Feb-11 05:48:23 AEDST) : Foto Camcorder

This one is in german because for some reason I can no longer find the seller I got it from in english. It actually sort of snaps over the entire lens part and you screw the filters into that. There are 2 sections in it, one for zoom & if you are not using zoom or using macro, then the filters can be closer. It will take 72mm filters & I have so many now that I actually had to buy a bigger bag.

26x I manage ok without a tripod, I can take a decent shot of the cars parked up the end of the street & have managed a brilliant shot that was actually 4kms away
02-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Forum Member

Another sunset session yesterday with the x90 and at least one photo was near acceptable. Thanks for all the info about the x90. I'm getting more used to it but have a long way to go. Guess I'll keep it. Can't beat the price I paid and the 1cm macro is fun. Got to work on the contrast and brightness. I'm getting washed out sunset pics.
02-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Forum Member

That is a nice photo and I can get similar results in those conditions but when I push the x90 to its limits is when I run into trouble. I just shot the same photo a few times with various settings that should produce good results but some are not good and I am finding the x90 may be just as complicated as any dslr to use. The main problem though is getting a sharp image of a subject that is over 100 ft. away. I'm getting blurry results although anti shake is on.
02-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I have had great results with sunsets now im going with the zoom and still getting good results. where im working a boat is about 3 km away the pics are clear
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #15

Ejbpesca - There's no reason to think that bridge-zoom lens/sensor functions in Pentax X90 are any worse than in the Canon SX30, Nikon P100 or Fuji HS10, etc....

That is - once any Brand is pushing 1/2.3" sensor Zooms out past 20x/500m-equiv, they're going to show some signs of the "strain" - the compromises that have to be made in cameras with very small sensors and a lot of "zoom multiplying".

Just taking my HS10 as one example where the "strain on the tech" shows - Fuji's attempting to get no-distortion and in-focus images all the way from 24mm at one end, to 720mm at the other - and feed the results to a 6.16mm x 4.622mm sensor - in that case, a 10Mpix BSI-CMOS device.

But it wouldn't matter what flavour of a "that-size" sensor it was - what the maker is trying to do, is pushing the limts, and it's a "very big ask".

Even in a crop-body DSLR, with approx 16mm x 24mm sensor - lenses that attempt to go from 24mm to 720mm - a 30x zoom-factor - are somewhat rare, to put it mildly...

So, even though the Bridge-Zoom makers take different approaches to the style and controls on their 24x-26x-30x-35x cameras - they all have the same problems - that is, the Laws of Physics.

The small-sensor / long-zoom recipe stops "working nicely" around an apparent 18-20x zoom - or equiv. 500-560mm. Example, the Canon SX10 is a 10Mpix camera with 20x/560mm zoom. I have one - and the user-level differences between it and the HS10 make "Chalk-and-Cheese" look strangely similar!

The JPEG-only SX10 is one of the best easy-to-use "snaps to enthusiast" bridge zooms. It does quite well on Auto and Program - use the Priorities and Manual - and its 8-9MB Superfine JPEGs take a lot of beating. They're at-a-glance better than the HS10's "best" 2.5-5MB JPEGs - it takes the RAF RAWs for the HS10 to "beat" the SX10 on IQ.

The SX10 is "very usable" hand-held at the 20x/560mm max zoom - few if any problems at all, in Aperture or Shutter Priority it's easy to get adequate-plus images.

With the HS10, where the technology is being severely "pushed", at a similar indicated 20x/520mm - it's much harder to hold steady and focus well, to get "good" images... At 30x and 720mm - hand-held, yes, you can "fluke" good images - but when doing that I'm now in the habit of firing off 3-4-5+ frames in 7fps or 5fps continuous mode.

Once past about two-thirds indicated zoom - that camera is SO super-sensitive to even the "slightest" movement, that firing several shots - up to the 7 maximum in JPEG, more usually 5, can give 3 x "deletes", 1 x "might-clean-up", and, not always - 1 reasonable or better "keeper".

Put the HS10 on a solid tripod - Manual Mode and MF - use the Timer to avoid any shutter-press "vibes" - and most of your "set-up" shots are keepers.

I've been saying these things on another Forum - where the Canon SX30 / 35x zoom users are having some "issues" - and there seems to be a general agreement. So from that, I'm suspecting that all of the current "far past 20x/560mm" mega-zooms are having the same types of user problems.

Where a DSLR with long zoom lens might be somewhat "forgiving" because of the far better and not "tech overstrained" design - the current long-zoom bridge cameras are over-pushing the avalable technology so far that there's no room for any cushion of ability-functions to be in any way "forgiving".....

And until there's a radical new design break-through - or the current Laws of Physics are repealed - sure, there'll be those of us who'll love our Bridge-Zooms - and we'll have to learn to work around and compensate for their limitations.

They can be "pretty bad" and "returnable for refund" - for those who insist that they work well for "happy-snaps" in Auto and Program - and both educational and rather addicting, to those who learn to work around their eccentricities.....

Dave.