Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash diffuser for X90

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I need one, but all I can find are ones for DSLR type cameras & flashes. I can't find anything & I am sick of having to use a card each time (it's not easy to get it right in a hurry)

Anyone know what ones I can use? I need to have one cause of my adapter on there.

12-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacqueline Quote
I need one, but all I can find are ones for DSLR type cameras & flashes. I can't find anything & I am sick of having to use a card each time (it's not easy to get it right in a hurry)

Anyone know what ones I can use? I need to have one cause of my adapter on there.
Jacqueline,
See attached link to a diffuser on Ebay. Interesting little item. Doesn't list the X90 but may work. I just bought an X90 and have a K-x. Measured the pop ups on both with a caliper.
The X90 pop up is about .030 inch or less than 1mm wider. The odds of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic DSLRs listed being the same dimension are really slim so it must have some give in it to fit across those models.
Looks like this item must slip on and clamp to the pop up. For less than $3 I'm going to order one and give it a try.

3-Color Pop-up Flash Diffuser for Canon Nikon Panasonic - eBay (item 320627870740 end time Jan-06-11 09:59:50 PST)

On another subject. In a couple of posts you have mentioned an adapter you have on your X90 indicating you can use filters if I understood it correctly. Can you post info on that item? I'd like to check it out.

Nice website by the way.

Thanks---Larry
12-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote
Jacqueline,
See attached link to a diffuser on Ebay. Interesting little item. Doesn't list the X90 but may work. I just bought an X90 and have a K-x. Measured the pop ups on both with a caliper.
The X90 pop up is about .030 inch or less than 1mm wider. The odds of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic DSLRs listed being the same dimension are really slim so it must have some give in it to fit across those models.
Looks like this item must slip on and clamp to the pop up. For less than $3 I'm going to order one and give it a try.

3-Color Pop-up Flash Diffuser for Canon Nikon Panasonic - eBay (item 320627870740 end time Jan-06-11 09:59:50 PST)

On another subject. In a couple of posts you have mentioned an adapter you have on your X90 indicating you can use filters if I understood it correctly. Can you post info on that item? I'd like to check it out.

Nice website by the way.

Thanks---Larry
Jacqueline,
I may have been a bit hasty in my 1st response with the Ebay link. Looking into this diffuser a little further in other links it appears it attaches to the hot shoe of a DSLR.
So I'd say the X90 is still without a solution.

Sorry---Larry
12-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Damn that's what I thought I think I may have to become creative & try to make one... or at lease adapt one.

I got a soft one that kinda folds over it, but because it is so big & also requires a hotshoe to attach to it becomes rather useless.

I will get creative & try to make one.... perhaps then I can sell some if they work

12-25-2010, 03:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
The link for the adapter is
KIWIFOTOS 72mm Lens adapter converter for Pentax X90 (eBay item 360327465910 end time 10-Jan-11 14:27:06 AEDST) : Cameras

I love it. I have about 30 filters now that I can put on my X90. It's great. But that is why I need the diffuser, cause the end of the adapter casts a bit of a dark spot when I use the flash
12-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #6

Jacqueline,
Thanks for the link for the adapter. I'll check it out.
I had the same thought about making a hot shoe and adhere to the X90 for the diffuser.
Will keep you posted when I come up with something.
I really like the X90 so far. Bought it for general use when I don't want to take the DSLR and lenses along. I have ruined a DSLR body and nice zoom toting them on the back of my Harley.
I believe the X90 will do the job well.

Merry Christmas---Larry
12-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #7

Jacqueline,
Back again. Here's a possible solution for you. Link to a Canon hot shoe bracket that you could adhere to the X90. I'd advise using a strong 3M double back adhesive. A local industrial supply company could recommend the best adhesive for you to use.

CANON EOS 40D HOTSHOE HOT SHOE BRACKET REPAIR PART NEW - eBay (item 330503783480 end time Jan-01-11 15:54:41 PST)

12-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow Great idea. I'll see what I can do then, thanks for that.

Yeah the X90 is a brilliant little thing. Not bad for a point & shoot. It's all I need
12-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
I found a site

light scoop digital photography pop-up flash Olympus Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

I emailed them asking if there was one for the X90 that could be made, their response was

Unfortunately, the lightscoop will NOT work with your type of camera. A hot shoe is a must, and the amount of power available in point and shoot is not enough. I'm sorry for the bad news...

I told them they underestimated the power of the X90.

Last edited by Jacqueline; 12-25-2010 at 11:28 PM.
12-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
Got this reply back

Thank you for the email. I do not doubt that there may be enough energy to bounce the light for your particular camera, however the mounting of the Lightscoop still requires a flash shoe in conjunction with a popup built-in flash in order to work, so for the present, I'm afraid that we're not the proper solution for your unit...

Looks like the hotshoe part stuck onto my x90 would work, cause it already has the popup built in flash ...... so I'll take it that the person did not even look at a photo of the camera at all & I will try the hotshoe option when I can justify they price.....
12-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #11

Jacqueline,
The Light Scoop looks like an interesting product also. For the money I'm still going to give the diffuser a whirl. The hot shoe part for the Canon costs more than I'd want to spend for this purpose.
Had an idea for this that is on the cheap for at least the testing part. Instead of adapting a hot shoe part to the X90 to mount the diffuser I'm going to use a velcro patch. You can get velcro strips with good adhesive already applied. May not be extremely stable but one will get a sense of what the end results will be.
May be able to come across a junk SLR body that one can take a hot shoe off of for use on the X90 after testing. If the velcro patch holds it stable enough it may be OK for the long term.
Anyway, just thoughts for now---larry
12-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
Oh let me know how the velcro thing works out, that may be the solution after all. The diffuser does not look that heavy so it may just stay put very well & if you have the velcro then you can take it on & off as needed. Great idea
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Something like this? It costs you nothing:

12-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
If only I had an old canister. Have not had one since the early 90's
01-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #15

Diffuser on X90--Photos and initial test

Photo of the X90 with the diffuser attached via a velcro patch. Seems to work OK.
Fairly stable, attaches and detaches easily.

Other photo is a compare of the X90 and K-x with and without the diffuser.

More noticable results on the K-x as the K-x without the diffuser is really washed out. Notice the shadows on the ceiling from the handlebars. With the diffuser it is almost gone with the K-x and are lighter with the X90.

In both cases the whites are not blown out when using the diffuser.

I'm not sure why the results are not better with the X90. Will need to do some further testing. But for now this is what we get.
Attached Images

Last edited by LScrabeck; 01-04-2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: remove unneeded statement