Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone!

The megapixels going down on some of the superzoom camera's concerns me a little, as I do not understand how that would affect image quality. I was told a 7 mp is equivalent to the image quality on a 35 mm camera. So if you go under that, how is it possible the image quality stays good?

01-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #17
Forum Member

a lot of people think that megapixels transfers into how good a camera takes a picture, which isn't true. you aren't to blame; a lot of ads advertise megapixelage as how good a camera is. obviously, it's incorrect. megapixels are only a factor when you blow up or crop a picture. the higher the megapixels, the larger you can enlarge a picture and/or the tighter you can crop around a subject in a picture. if i had a 6 megapixel DSLR, it would actually take better pictures than a 10 megapixel point and shoot because a DSLR has better optics and a larger sensor, which are two main factors in picture quality.
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r00t_b33r Quote
a lot of people think that megapixels transfers into how good a camera takes a picture, which isn't true. you aren't to blame; a lot of ads advertise megapixelage as how good a camera is. obviously, it's incorrect. megapixels are only a factor when you blow up or crop a picture. the higher the megapixels, the larger you can enlarge a picture and/or the tighter you can crop around a subject in a picture. if i had a 6 megapixel DSLR, it would actually take better pictures than a 10 megapixel point and shoot because a DSLR has better optics and a larger sensor, which are two main factors in picture quality.
That I do understand.

I don't know how else to explain my concern though. But I'll try.

I like to take photo's of birds. So, obviously my lens needs reach. When I zoom up on the bird for a close up, if the megapixels go from the 7 mp quality (which according to training in a photolab, gives you the quality of a 35 mm film print), drops down to 3 mp, would I be able to see the individual feathers?

I can see feathers somewhat with my old Canon SX100 at full zoom (Message). I want to see more clarity on feathers, not less.
01-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

that's a great shot of that bird!
when you zoom up onto a subject you won't lose megapixels because you're using optical zoom. if you use digital zoom it's a different story. i would recommend a camera with higher resolution because it seems as though you're going to crop the photos to take closer pictures of birds. again, the more megapixels the tighter you can crop to your subjects. anything about 12 megapixels and above will be great.

02-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm finding the X90 to be better and better after each time i go out taking pics.

the macro is magnificent