Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

suggest a good point and shoot for me

I'm a hobbyist, but I do want to be professional good.

This spring I'm planning on finally replacing my broken camera. It's a Canon SX100.

I'm favoring a Pentax (if budget wasn't an issue I'd want a K-7 for it's weatherization; or at least a K-x.)

I want zoom for birding and elusive wildlife.

I also want zoom for elusive children. In fact, if I can be far away I'm more likely to get those special shots of joy with out them noticing I'm taking pictures.

But I want to be able to achieve professional image quality.

So, tell me about your point and shoot. I am curious about the X90 and the RZ10 for starters.

Thank you!

12-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That looks pretty good on paper, and shoots RAW too. If I did not already have a SX20 IS, I might consider it.
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
will I get better image quality from the Panasonic Lumix?

01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

broken canon? hit up canon program for refurb, you send in your broken camera they give you discount on a refurb one... give them a call, I think it's call canon loyalty program.

Other wise go for a good super zoom (haven't seen a really good one lately), but they sure will zoom alot. the kodak z9XX series is actually not bad, i hate their P&S but i tried their superzoom (actually owned one for a while), it's quite nice, full manual and paranama mode too.
01-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I don't know what your budget is but this looks to be a nice camera if you can live with a shorter zoom.
Olympus X Factor: Creating A New Breed Of Compact Camera

I'm looking into this as a compact to carry with my K20D as my Ricoh GRD is starting to have problems.

John

Last edited by johnny9fingers; 01-08-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added text
01-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

The problem with this kind of compact camera (Oly XZ-1, lol sounds like an 80's SF name ) is that they usually cost as much as an entry level DSLR. But yeah, sounds like the XZ-1 can be the next king in the category.
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
The problem with this kind of compact camera (Oly XZ-1, lol sounds like an 80's SF name ) is that they usually cost as much as an entry level DSLR. But yeah, sounds like the XZ-1 can be the next king in the category.
You're right there. "Captain, the XZ-1 is ready for launch. Is everyone onboard?"
And it is a bit pricey, but if Winterstar is looking at a purchase this spring the price may have lowered a bit by then.

01-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will watch that Oly for awhile. I have time to decide. My first goal is probably to get a longer zoom then I have/had. Second goal is a K-x.

I do like the Olympus Pens, but again I'm replacing a camera that went up to 360 mm, so I want to be as close to that as I can.

Thank you guys. I appreciate all the feedback.

PS. I also keep adding to my list. Example:

Canon s95
Pentax x90 or another similiar
K-x or maybe one of the above and a Rebel xs so I can start learning dSLR and still have a super zoom for birds, chipmunks and kids
01-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by winterstar Quote
I will watch that Oly for awhile. I have time to decide. My first goal is probably to get a longer zoom then I have/had. Second goal is a K-x.

I do like the Olympus Pens, but again I'm replacing a camera that went up to 360 mm, so I want to be as close to that as I can.

Thank you guys. I appreciate all the feedback.

PS. I also keep adding to my list. Example:

Canon s95
Pentax x90 or another similiar
K-x or maybe one of the above and a Rebel xs so I can start learning dSLR and still have a super zoom for birds, chipmunks and kids
Winterstar,
I would advise that you give the X90 some serious consideration. It can be said I am a bit biased towards Pentax as I have had numorous Pentax SLR systems starting in 1973. I currently have a K-x and recently bought a X90 for purposes of having an inexpensive kick around camera when I don't want to tote $2000 worth of equipment around.
Why did I land on the X90 when the experts say the Panasonics are better?
1) In my opinion the performance difference is minimal and may be measurable in a lab setup. But for general use and capturing good photos the X90 does a nice job.
2) Having the menus and controls being very close to the K-x operation makes the X90 operation very intuitive. The reverse would be true for you if you start with a X90 and upgrade to a K-x as you mentioned.
3) Value for the dollar. I bought the X90, 4GB card, tripod, other extras from Asavings on EBay for $260. Add an extra $100 or more for a Panasonic.
I do like the Panasonics. My first digital was a FZ2. The only function some Panasonics have that had me considering them was being able to shoot in RAW format.
When it came to the final decision my top 3 reasons for the X90 won out over the Panasonic.

Happy Hunting---Larry
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote
Winterstar,
I would advise that you give the X90 some serious consideration. It can be said I am a bit biased towards Pentax as I have had numorous Pentax SLR systems starting in 1973. I currently have a K-x and recently bought a X90 for purposes of having an inexpensive kick around camera when I don't want to tote $2000 worth of equipment around.
Why did I land on the X90 when the experts say the Panasonics are better?
1) In my opinion the performance difference is minimal and may be measurable in a lab setup. But for general use and capturing good photos the X90 does a nice job.
2) Having the menus and controls being very close to the K-x operation makes the X90 operation very intuitive. The reverse would be true for you if you start with a X90 and upgrade to a K-x as you mentioned.
3) Value for the dollar. I bought the X90, 4GB card, tripod, other extras from Asavings on EBay for $260. Add an extra $100 or more for a Panasonic.
I do like the Panasonics. My first digital was a FZ2. The only function some Panasonics have that had me considering them was being able to shoot in RAW format.
When it came to the final decision my top 3 reasons for the X90 won out over the Panasonic.

Happy Hunting---Larry
Much thanks! Would you post some samples from the x90? I am leaning towards it for it's price. And one big reason is I want the K-x (or something like it) in the next two years.
01-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #12

Sample Pics for Winterstar

Winterstar,
Here are a few pics per your request. A couple of qualifications here.
1) I have not done any serious photo work with the X90 yet. Have just been testing some of the functions and how does it work. So no great art here.
2) The pics are significantly reduced so if you enlarge they will get blurry quickly.

The pics of the woods and the crow were to test the optical zoom. These where shot from my truck window over my shoulder. Caught a bit of the window frame in the wide angle and the zoomed in should have been done with at least my monopod. It was -10F that day and getting out of my warm truck to use the monopod was just not that important. Very difficult to hold the camera steady at 600mm zoom. The results do show that the anti-shake does a good job. I believe it would have been sharper if the camera was steady vs. hand held.

The pic of the white horse in the white snow was to test the white balance. Shot this using the Sun and Snow setting. I am happy with the results.

The wide pic is testing the in camera panoramic function. Did this in my shop just to test. Again, just too darn cold outside to go hunting for a good pano setting.
I didn't have the white balance set correctly so it is a bit yellow and excuse the mess. But just testing the pano capability.

I have a few test pics in the Post regarding a flash diffuser for the X90. These were done with the white balance set to flash and some comparisons to my K-x.
The X90 without diffuser actually did a better job than the K-x. The K-x flash is too strong in these tests. I could have compensated for this but the tests were to see what the two cameras did with the same default settings.

Hope this helps with your hunt---Larry
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X90  Photo 
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #13

Photo for Winterstar

Winterstar,

Added a photo today. Testing out the auto bracketing for doing an HDR.

Auto bracket shots with the X90 are slow when compared to the K-x.
Not a negative just an observation.
I did have the X90 on a monopod but should have used a tripod.
Alignment is OK only due to the Photomatix HDR software align option.

Lesson is if you use auto bracket for HDR use a tripod. Auto bracket for the
sake of auto bracket of course works fine hand held.

Larry
Attached Images

01-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a waterproof point and shoot you cannot beat the Optio W 90 ... here is a link to some pictures I just uploaded, taken with last years model, the W80:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/129210-nature-four-seasons-optio-w80.html
01-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

the x90 is a great little camera that you can't go wrong with. IQ is awesome and the zoom is very good as well. personally i haven't spent too much time learning the ins and outs of the camera
i work at best buy and the standard superzoom cameras that we carry that i like are:
panasonic lumix zs5/zs7: full manual control, leica lens (which is sharp as a tack), 720p on the zs5 1080p in AVCHD lite format on the zs7, great low light IQ, 16x zoom as well as manual control on both
canon sx210: pretty slim stylish compact superzoom, excellent low light IQ, pretty fast f2.8 lens, 720p HD video, 14x zoom, and full manual control as well.
nikon s8100: backlit CMOS sensor, 10x zoom, great IQ all around, 1080p HD video, improved low light IQ, and it looks like a camera james bond would use. the cool thing about the s8100 is that it has a 20-something fps mode where the camera knocks resolution down to around 1.5 megapixels and shoots around 20 pictures with the press of a button.
all of these cameras are compact and fit in a jacket pocket. if you're looking for something larger check out the canon sx30. full manual control, 35x zoom with excellent image stabilization, great IQ, flip-out screen and 720p HD video. this is one step under a DSLR.

a lot of people are starting to ask about the interchangeable lens cameras (known as ILC or EVIL's). they're around $500-$550... image quality is great as i've had experience with the olympus pen ep-l1 but for the same amount of money you can get a KX with all the bells and whistles that you wouldn't find in an ILC.

i hope this helps. if you have any more questions feel free to PM me, i'm the biggest camera geek in my best buy.