Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's my second try... A bit more rust, photo has been taken the same day.

I guess you all know this kind of locomotive : this tiny loco, which seems to be here for ages, is/was used to pull/push wagons around the railroad stations.

This is also from the village where I spent my childhood, near my parents' home.

EXIF :
Camera Pentax Optio P80 Exposure 0.067 sec (1/15) Aperture f/3.3 Focal Length 8.2 mm ISO Speed 200

Last edited by G.T; 01-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.
01-08-2011, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello everyone, these two are from last November before things got completely white around here.

The Church
Make Ricoh
Model GR DIGITAL 3
Flash Used No
Focal Length 6 mm
Exposure Time 1/950 sec
Aperture f/2.5
ISO Equivalent 64

Time Weathered Truck
Make Ricoh
Model GR DIGITAL 3
Flash Used No
Focal Length 6 mm
Exposure Time 1/30 sec
Aperture f/1.9
ISO Equivalent 125

Last edited by RyanW; 01-09-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Pictures not showing up
01-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like it has been there a while, G.T

Ryan, your pictures don't show, at least not for me.
Could you check, please?
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

All of these were taken the week of New Year's on a paddling trip in the Everglades/10 thousand islands. Since my dslr is broken, I got batteries for my old panasonic fz20-k and got some shots. Okay, the first isn't great, but how cool is it to find an airplane engine while you're paddling?

01-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
G.T
Veteran Member

Nice pics !
I wonder about the 1st one : what is this? It looks like a wrecked jet engine!
01-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
G.T
Veteran Member

Third and then, last entry :

01-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
Nice pics !
I wonder about the 1st one : what is this? It looks like a wrecked jet engine!
That's what it looked like to us as well, you could see some green paint left inside, so maybe it was military?

There were a few other pieces scattered through the water overgrown with oyster shells.

This isn't a submission, just another piece covered in oysters:

Last edited by Immunogirl; 01-08-2011 at 04:47 PM.
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
ghl

Might be some remains of ValueJet flight 592 which crashed in the Everglades in 1996 with 104 people aboard, no survivors, and not all of the plane was retrieved due to the swamp's adverse conditions.

ValuJet Flight 592 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
Might be some remains of ValueJet flight 592 which crashed in the Everglades in 1996 with 104 people aboard, no survivors, and not all of the plane was retrieved due to the swamp's adverse conditions.

ValuJet Flight 592 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ugh. That's not so cool

One of us did set a GPS waypoint, so I could probably try to cross correlate.
01-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
G.T
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Ugh. That's not so cool

One of us did set a GPS waypoint, so I could probably try to cross correlate.
I would be interrested in knowing... I'm a bit curious.
Else, this could be Eastern 401 debris, too. Both planes crashed inside the same area, merely 5 miles from each other.
01-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

1959 Konica S rangefinder
DNP Centuria 200 film

A very nice old lady and the first person I've ever seen at a shrine in Japan who prayed like they really meant it and spent some time at it. She remained for quite a few minutes engaged not only in praying, but in a subdued yet animated conversation with God....or god....or the 神....or whatever is or is not there to be prayed to.

She walked up and spoke to me prior to starting her prayer session and we talked about ten or fifteen minutes. I learned that in 2003 she was involved in an auto accident and was banged up so badly she was in danger of having both of her legs and both of her arms amputated. Two and a half weeks later she left the hospital with all limbs still attached and today she walks better than a lot of people her age, which I would guess to be between 70 and 80. Someone told her that her recovery was nothing short of a miracle, and now she happily spends her days visiting various shrines around the area and giving thanks. Such is the story she told to me.
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seems like a great collection again, this month.
I already saw some entries where the subject failed the test of time and some where the test was passed successfully.
Great work!

In my language, the phrase 'the Test of Time' reads something like 'the Teeth of Time'.
This implies a certain failure to withstand the passing of time where in English, one still gets an opportunity to pass the Test. Strange, no?
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Looks like it has been there a while, G.T

Ryan, your pictures don't show, at least not for me.
Could you check, please?
Fixed. Not sure why though, they were out at pbase and not protected. I put them in an album here.
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Seems like a great collection again, this month.
I already saw some entries where the subject failed the test of time and some where the test was passed successfully.
Great work!

In my language, the phrase 'the Test of Time' reads something like 'the Teeth of Time'.
This implies a certain failure to withstand the passing of time where in English, one still gets an opportunity to pass the Test. Strange, no?
You sometimes get strange stuff like that from language to language.

I once called home and my wife laughingly told me that one of our young kittens had fallen in the bathtub and drowned. Besides the shock of learning I had a dead kitten on my hands, I had the greater shock of learning I had married a woman who could laugh at a kitten dying like that.

We finally got it all straightened out with a happy ending. It turns out that in Japanese the word for "drown" (溺れる "oboreru") doesn't imply death, as is always the case in English. More sort of a floundering and sputtering, I suppose. She just wasn't aware of that very key connection between "drowning" and "death" in English. The cat was fine, and my wife wasn't Cruella DeVille's twin sister.
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Fixed. Not sure why though, they were out at pbase and not protected. I put them in an album here.
They do show up now. Would have been a pity to miss them. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
... and my wife wasn't Cruella DeVille's twin sister.