Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Is the W90 prone to leak failures?

I have a W60 that has functioned flawlessly in every way....
So, I bought a W90, just got it and havent even used it yet but I have been reading alot of reviews about underwater failures with the W90.

How many here have actually had theirs fail due to leakage?

Are those reviewers doing something wrong? leaving a seal open?

I'm curious and concerned....

01-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought a refurb that had obvious leak damage, it turned on and that as about it; couldn't believe it was graded in A condition! Easy return thankfully. I noticed the battery door was obviously loose, perhaps that is where the problems arise (there was rust damage in the battery compartment).
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My W20 still works great and It never had the seals replaced though I religeously make sure the battery and card door seals are kept clean. My W90 has been to the South Seas and recently to Nicaragua Kayaking with no problems.
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

just bought 2 w 90 cameras to replace my old under water cameras and both failed in less than 3 minutes under water.i was meticulas in keeping the cameras clean no sand or dust of anykind.having read the manuel it says in small print and i quote "do not swim with this camera as leakage may occur"

02-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought a W90 from the marketplace just before going on a recent Caribbean cruise and I have nothing buy high praises for this camera. I took it swimming with me in Mexico, snorkeling in Grand Cayman and it climbed Dunn's River Falls with me in Jamaica all without one single problem. I snorkeled for over an hour with the camera completely submersed in water the whole time and it took fantastic underwater pictures and videos as well as great pictures not in the water. I was really surprised at all the different functions and modes the camera has when I received it. One of my favorite is the clock and alarm clock function which is perfect when you travel a lot like I do.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another one of these cameras and highly recommend it to everyone.
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
norkeling in Grand Cayman and it climbed Dunn's River Falls
Hey I'll be there with my W60 in 3 weeks! Woohoo!

From what I read here and the Amazon reviews it would seem that the W90 is hit and miss. I wonder if it's QC issues again?

Pat
02-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Hey I'll be there with my W60 in 3 weeks! Woohoo!

From what I read here and the Amazon reviews it would seem that the W90 is hit and miss. I wonder if it's QC issues again?

Pat
Grand Cayman is absolutely beautiful. You can tell that there is a lot of money there by how westernized it is but the beaches and snorkeling are incredibly beautiful. Enjoy your trip!

I guess I got a good W90. I can't praise this camera enough. The image quality for a PS is really good. For me it's the perfect camera for traveling.
03-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just bought one to take it snorkling in the Carrib in a few weeks time. Let's see =)

03-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It's not a K20D, but it *is* waterproof!

I've been thoroughly impressed with the W90 in our saltwater pool (hey, it's winter and this is Canada), but when I first got it the battery/SD card door seemed waay too loosey-goosey for an underwater camera. After examining it, I realized that the exterior door and the rubber seal beneath it are not one piece - the door slides and the seal does not. That made me a bit more confident, and now, after many dozens of extended dunkings, I just don't think about it.

That said, I am careful to:
  1. rinse the saltwater off
  2. only open the battery/card door after it has air dried
  3. not jump into the pool with it (as I know the impact increases pressure exponentially)
  4. not bang it into anything underwater

As a P&S, I love the near-instant "on" and quick focusing (since the lens doesn't extend out), and the rubberized grippy-ness of the body is nice. I don't love the noise in the HD video, but I know the sensor is the size of a cupcake sprinkle!

Most surprising thing has been that the microphone records audio in underwater movie mode (and does a decent job submarine), but the little surface holes mean water will collect there and cause "pops" right after you surface. Oh well...
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be happy if I can get a few semi-decent pics of turtles & fish underwater =). It's something I've ALWAYS wanted to do, but underwater housings are just too extravagant a purchase for someone who might use this for 2 weeks out of the year at most.

Guys, any reccomendations to get something nice out of this thing? Use lowest ISO you can get away with and the 'underwater' setting, with subject matter 2-4 feet away or so?
03-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

With the w30, I almost always use the flash, on "low power", and low ISO - even underwater. It gets noisy in a hurry.
03-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'll be happy if I can get a few semi-decent pics of turtles & fish underwater =). It's something I've ALWAYS wanted to do, but underwater housings are just too extravagant a purchase for someone who might use this for 2 weeks out of the year at most.

Guys, any reccomendations to get something nice out of this thing? Use lowest ISO you can get away with and the 'underwater' setting, with subject matter 2-4 feet away or so?
Underwater setting and shoot mid day while sun is overhead.
Attached Images

03-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Nick, Ahab, I'll try those
04-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #14

[/IMG]fatta con w90 ciao Ross.;-9
04-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #15

w90

[/IMG]fatta con w 90 cioa Ross.;-)