Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Optio E90 users out there?

My daughter is going on a class trip to Europe this spring, and she'd like to get a camera to bring along. I've discovered what appears to be a decent deal on the Optio E90, but before I have her pull the trigger I thought I'd see what info I could find out.
Since it looks like it was discontinued last fall or so, I thought I'd do some searching here to see what people thought of it, see if there were any "issues" with it, etc. - but when I did a search in "Compact Digital & Film Cameras" Forum on it I didn't get any hits.

So, anyone have this camera?
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

01-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

When Adorama had a special on them a couple months ago I picke one up for $50 for a shirt pocket camera. For the price its a hoot to use and worthwhile for quick snaps. The rubberized surface all around is great and the auto functions work like they should. The Auto WB in particular beats all my DSLRs. I think the batery life is good but I don't use it enough to know for sure. It works much better in low light (w/ or w/o flash) than I expected, due to technical progress I suppose since my last P&S.

My bottom line is its well worth what I paid for it and takes fine shots for monitor display but for a trip to Europe I would step up a notch or two and take the E90 as a backup.
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lee. If it was my other high school daughter that was going I'm sure she'd be glad to borrow my K10D and lug it around. This one, however, just wants a P&S that's easy to tote around for snapshots. It sounds like this should fit the bill, and if you've been happy with it I just might suggest it to her.
(She seems to think this will be FAR from her ONLY trip over there, so hopefully she'll have more opportunities to bring a "real" camera and get more then just snapshots down the road.)

Thanks again for the input,

Tim
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Tomorrow I am planning to post some photos taken with my Optio W80 specifically to show the quality... this is a fantastic camera and even though I have graduated to a Kx, I am still in love with the images it has taken. My partner who has professional type cameras actually just purchased the W90 because the W80 has performed so well. We do a lot of canoeing and kayaking so the waterproof feature is priceless for us, and the images better than average.

01-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

I have one. It's a fun little camera for what it does. My Profile pic was taken with it by one of my 10 year old twins, in NYC.
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My knock against at least some of the Pentax point and shoots, my E60 being one of them, is that they oversaturate green and to a lesser extent yellow, I'm not sure on the E90 though. You might look at images from that camera on Flickr or Pbase. (they both allow you to look at images from different camera models via search)

For point and shoots, to me at least, Canon, Fuji, Sony and Kodak have good color. Kodak's are cheap and a lot of people knock them, but I've seen some nice photos in the Kodak Dp forum.