Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Optio E60-E80-E90

Thinking about a small compact to toss in the glove box, etc. I searched the forums, and even the web. There are a few comments and reviews, but I thought I'd ask here amongst the many Pentax users. Anyone used any of them mentioned in the title? What do you think? Probably wont make anything more than 5x7 prints...but am curious how's the noise?? etc...

Can honestly say, I've never owned a compact, but my daughter has the M50, and I've used it a time or two. I'd continue to "borrow" it, but it's pink. Need I say more??

In advance, I appreciate the help.

mark

01-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a thread <click here> you might be interested in. It hasn't gone far yet, but the W80 is 12mp and 4000x300 pixel. We've printed 11x14 and they are still razor sharp.

On our website <click here>, every second picture was shot with a an Optio W80 , being water proof and shock proof, we have no fear having it out in the canoe to take pictures on the fly, or on bike rides or wherever we go. Whenever you see a picture that looks like it was taken from a boat, and many taken from shore were taken with the W80. Nothing wrong with that camera except being a point and shoot, you don't have the same control over depth of field. The macro works awesome.

I just got myself an Optio W90, there are a lot of pictures I just can't be bothered digging the DSLR out of it's case for, and the W80 or W90 will do them just as good 990% of the time.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2011 at 06:08 PM.
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice Pics in the thread you mention...thanks. maybe i'll look at the w80-w90 too.

thanks again,
01-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #4

I have the 10MP E60-has a slighty wide angle lens.

Lens is 32mm at the wide and 96mm at tele-not too bad in my opinion.

Has a nice range of scene modes-including one which stitches 3 overlapping photos in-camera for panoramas.

ISO goes up to 6400-at a reduced resolution, but I mainly leave at ISO 100.

There's face detection and AF tracking.

01-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the E60. It's a nice sized camera, but I really don't care for the IQ for color. Way to strong on the greens and to a lesser extent yellow. Skys are a bit unnatural to me and trees and grass are like you've never seen. What I shoot with it now, gets converted to B&W.

Another downside to the E60 is there are no manual controls. Everything is done through various scene modes.

If I didn't get my E60 so cheaply, I'd be dissatisfied with it. I've given it to my 7 year old's camera and I use it occasionally. Kids and cameras, that's a whole other story. They take some great pictures sometimes. Helps me expand my thinking around what would make a good composition.

My other point and shoot is the Ricoh GRD3 which is awesome from a usability standpoint. Color is pretty good, limited to a 28mm lens.

Some of the stuff in the rural and test of time galleries was shot with the Ricoh. I do have a few E60 photos I need to upload as well.
Ryan Ware's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

A also have an old Sony 5mpx camera that I happen to think has really nice color. The marina shot below is from the Sony

Below is an example of the green and yellow cast I don't like in the E60. Note: I reduced the green saturation in this photo.