Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All these shots were taken at work with a Kodak Autographic Folding Brownie No. 2, which is basically a box camera that folds up for portability.

Traffic Patterns

6s, F/8 with Kodak Portra 400 Vivid Color

Queen Anne Hall

30s, F/32 with Kodak Portra 400 Vivid Color

Under Construction

60s, F/32 with Kodak Portra 400 Vivid Color

Last edited by unixrevolution; 02-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Hey, glad to see you made it, Eric
02-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Bart : it worthed the wait!
It must have something unreal to take photographs with such an ancient camera, isn't it ? And BTW, isn't it too hard to find films?

I submitted my three photos... but once it will be finished, I'm gonna show you "the ones you should not have seen"
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
All these shots were taken at work with a Kodak Autographic Folding Brownie No. 2, which is basically a box camera that folds up for portability.
crikey! well done! Where would you get film for this camera???

02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
crikey! well done! Where would you get film for this camera???
To answer both you and G.T., The film is actually very easy to find. 120 film was introduced in the first decade of the twentieth century, and my little Brownie takes standard 120 roll film. The new plastic spooled 120 drops right in. The only modification is that I block of the red window with electrical tape so I don't fog the film, and I lift the tape to wind to the next frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
I agree with Bart : it worthed the wait!
It must have something unreal to take photographs with such an ancient camera, isn't it ? And BTW, isn't it too hard to find films?

I submitted my three photos... but once it will be finished, I'm gonna show you "the ones you should not have seen"
It's actually fairly easy, once you get the hang of it. The camera has 4 shutter settings, 1/25, 1/50, T and B. For those of you unfamiliar with the T setting, it's like Bulb, only pressing the shutter once opens the shutter, pressing it again later closes it.

It has a screamingly fast F/8 lens. The lens aperture is fully adjustable, but it isn't calibrated in F/stops. It's actually calibrated in US system measurements. The setings go like this:

US System: 4 8 16 32 64
F/ number: 8 11 16 22 32

It's based on light transmission rather than aperture diameter. I know there were at least 4 competing systems for aperture settings at the turn of the century, but F/ numbers won out.

Focusing is the tough part. For subjects 8 to 30 feet away, it has one notch the lens sits in. For 30 feet ot infinity, it has a second notch. Simple, but you have to remember as there is no focusing aid. The right-angle viewfinder is a little small but useable, and rotates for landscape shots.

I really enjoy using it. It's basic and always gets people talking. I like to use it and when people see it, say, "What, you've never seen a camera before?"

I'm especially happy I got it into this Point-and-Shoot contest. It was a good idea to pay to have it fixed. It's more than given its money back to me in enjoyment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Hey, glad to see you made it, Eric
Nobody more so than me. If I missed this one, I was prepared to give up entirely.
02-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

To answer both you and G.T., The film is actually very easy to find. 120 film was introduced in the first decade of the twentieth century, and my little Brownie takes standard 120 roll film. The new plastic spooled 120 drops right in. The only modification is that I block of the red window with electrical tape so I don't fog the film, and I lift the tape to wind to the next frame.
I have a camera (Zeiss Ikonta), almost identical design to your Kodak which also ought to take 120 film... but I can't seem to source it in Australia. I'll have to look about some more. I loved that old camera, it belonged to my Dad. The bellows section still seems to be intact.
02-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I have a camera (Zeiss Ikonta), almost identical design to your Kodak which also ought to take 120 film... but I can't seem to source it in Australia. I'll have to look about some more. I loved that old camera, it belonged to my Dad. The bellows section still seems to be intact.
120 is the most common film size now, aside of course from 35mm, so finding film shouldn't be an issue. 120 is the format of film used by pretty much all medium format cameras, including both the Pentax 645 and 67 series, Mamiya, Bronica, Hasselblad, Rollei, and Yashica Medium Format cameras, and dozens if not hundreds of models of box and folding cameras. In the US, I can order it from adorama.com, Freestylephoto.biz, and B&H online, and I can get it in any halfway-decent camera shop. My friend even picked some up in a Ritz camera in Annapolis.

Google for it, I'm sure you'll find something.

02-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Columbia Island Marina, the Pentagon is the building in the background. Photo taken with my pentax optio w60.
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

120 is the most common film size now, aside of course from 35mm, so finding film shouldn't be an issue. 120 is the format of film used by pretty much all medium format cameras, including both the Pentax 645 and 67 series, Mamiya, Bronica, Hasselblad, Rollei, and Yashica Medium Format cameras, and dozens if not hundreds of models of box and folding cameras. In the US, I can order it from adorama.com, Freestylephoto.biz, and B&H online, and I can get it in any halfway-decent camera shop. My friend even picked some up in a Ritz camera in Annapolis.

Google for it, I'm sure you'll find something.
If B&H have it, we are set, I buy my lenses from there, anyway. Thanks
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moon Lit Clouds Above Old Tree

Pana LX2 long exposure (think around 8 seconds). ISO 100, tripod.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images

02-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Vegas - all taken with pentax Optio w60

02-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ladies and gents, we now have 4 days to go. I've been extremely impressed with
the entries in this contest!
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Ladies and gents, we now have 4 days to go. I've been extremely impressed with
the entries in this contest!
I agree, this is shaping up to be another of the best...let any naysayer who says you need a DSLR to take good shots look here and be amazed.
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In 40 mins it will be 24 hours to go: I'm in GMT-6 time zone. Looking forward to more
entries!
02-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for participating, the contest is over. Now I need to agonize over
who the winner is.