Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why doesn't the old model experience a price drop when the new model is released?

This puzzles me a bit: In the dSLR world, you can usually count on getting a bargain on the next-to-newest model shortly after the new model is released. This doesn\t seem to work for point&shoots.

I have an old w30 that I have had loads of fun with as a beach toy with the kids, situations where I would never bring my "real" camera. I am been considering a replacement for a while, since it IS old and slow, and the dynamic range is very limited at its best in the W30: I imagine that has probably improved quite a bit the last six years. So, the W90 got decent reviews. I was waiting for it to drop below $200, and I thought the release of the new WG-1 would do it.

Apparently not: The green W90 just went "discontinued" at bhphotovideo, and at Adorama, Amazon etc. it just seems to hold its price. Seems like someone somewhere should have some clearance stock they would want to get rid of?

Also, those stores that still have W80 left sells it at near its original price. Why doesn't this mechanism seem to work for lower end P&S cameras? Too little profit margin to begin with?

Last edited by MetteHHH; 02-10-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Forgot my last point... :)
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would have been my first thought too. But I entered the digital world via a p&s, a Panasonic Lumix a few years back. The reason for it was the new model had come out and the one I bought dropped in price about $100.
My second thought is we are reaching a point with small cameras where the new models aren't that much better than the model it replaced, not necessarily making the old one obsolete. It's harder to justify upgrading these days just one model up whether it's a p&s or dslr.