Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Optio s* as Zigview?

Wonder if it would be possible to use one of the "Altiods box" small Pentax cameras up to the eyepiece like a Zigview? The cameras have an incredible macro setting. At worst it seems that an eyepiece "coupler" could be designed to work. The Optio doesnt seem much bigger than the Zigview and it could still be used as a camera. Also heard the Zigview doesn't work well with infrared. It would also be neat to build an accessory that would sit the Optio on the dslr hotshoe and use it as a viewfinder for the 18-55 lens. Might have to rig that one up. Just thinking.
thanks
barondla

12-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Verrrry interesting... Let me know what you come up with.
12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It works! Borrowed an Optio S60. Little bigger than the "Altoids" Pentax. It has the same 3X zoom lens. First I tried setting camera to super macro. Wouldn't focus. Then tried on normal macro. It focuses. You have to zoom the lens up to middle or little greater range to stop vignetting. It was hard to hand hold the DS and use the other hand to hold the S60 up to the rubber eyecup while taking the shot. It can be done. It would be easy to make an aluminium bracket to hold the camera to the DS. Only problem is the fact that the optio screen doesn't "tilt" up like a Zigview. May try a mirror to fix that. Clarence, try it with your camera.
thanks
barondla
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wouldn't do me any good to try right now. Don't have anything to look through except the P&S. Mirror would reverse the image in the LCD wouldn't it?