Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

2 weeks into my x90..help please

I've got to return this camera if I don't start getting better results. I am finding so much of the features are useless and please, can someone tell me how to get a decent photo when using the 26x zoom? The results from the optical zoom so far have been much worse than a digital zoom.

I use a tripod, set the megapixels low as directed and still get just garbage. The zoom was the main reason I got the camera after giving away my Canon Rebel

02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe post one of the pictures that you think looks bad so we can help figure out the problem. Otherwise, we are just guessing at random problems.

Why are you lowering the megapixels? If you are on a tripod, you shouldn't have any problems getting a sharp image.
02-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is a doctored up one, then reduced from 2mp to a couple hundred KB.
Attached Images

02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I said, why are you reducing the number of megapixels? A jpeg is already compressed data. You throw out tons of information when you shoot jpeg. Most point and shoots don't give you the option to shoot raw so the largest, highest quality jpeg should be used instead. Reducing the number of megapixels you shoot at reduces the quality even further.

02-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I get no better results even with the highest mp settings and..as Pentax instructs you cannot use full mp for several shooting modes. Even if I do shoot full mp pics I will have to reduce them for email and publishing so the 12mp capability is lost on me. Even if I shoot just for viewing by me on a computer the amount of megapixels matters not beyond about 3.2. This is a misconception many have about mp's. Actually, a small sensor with 12 megapixel capability on it gives a less clear photo than one with say 6mp. In the attempt to squeeze the resolution in a small sensor on these types of cameras causes noise. I think I may need to switch to the Nikon Coolpix with the 1 1/7" sensor.

My other problem could be simply a cheap lens. I'm trying to make a pro photo with a very inexpensive camera. I just got another Canon Rebel dslr and I may just have to bite the economic bullet and get some L glass for it.

Thank you for your suggestion but I am realizing the limitations of my lil x90 and they boil down to "I got what I paid for."

jb
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh...I found today that in bright sunlight the little x90 does do a nice photo up to twenty feet from the cam. Beyond that it has resolution problems at any setting.
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

Ejbpesca - What you said there is interesting - "won't focus past..." - makes me guess that you "just might" have inadvertently while handling the camera - clicked the Right-Arrow on the 4-way pad and bumped it into one of the X90's Macro settings.

To check that, see Pages 114-115 in the X90 Manual.

Other than that - you might try "Resetting to Default Settings" - Manual Page 217.

The Default Settings are on Page 247 onwards.

Dave.