Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2007, 02:15 AM   #1

Optio s10, where are my 10MB pics?

So i've recently bough the optio s10, i have the default MB to 10MB and high resolution/quality with 3 stars. But all my pictures, day or night (with a variety of colors) are only the size of 3MB. Why!? Any idea how to have the picture themselves up to 10MB?

10-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is "the default MB"? As far as I know cameras you don't set file size of pictures, but only quality(stars) and resolution(MP). Perhaps your camera has 10mp sensor and you'er confusing it for file size.
10-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tschapira Quote
So i've recently bough the optio s10, i have the default MB to 10MB and high resolution/quality with 3 stars. But all my pictures, day or night (with a variety of colors) are only the size of 3MB. Why!? Any idea how to have the picture themselves up to 10MB?
10M pixels (not bytes) is the number of photo sites the sensor uses to record the image. After best level JPEG compression (*** stars) of the image, your filesize will run about 3.5 Mbytes or so, depending upon content. From looking at the S40 manual, I don't see where camera RAW is a file type option, so you won't get any files approaching 10M bytes.
10-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 'MP' refers to the size of the pixel map the sensor outputs. In other words, multiply the two dimensions together and the result will be around 10MP.

This pixel map size has nothing directly to do with the amount of storage each image consumes. The storage is governed by the coding method (JPEG, RAW, TIFF, etc) and the amount of compression applied by the storage algorithm. Higher quality (more stars) JPEGs will take more storage space, lower quality will take less.

The pixel map size is the same in both cases, but with lower quality JPEG some detail may be lost as JPEG is a lossy algorithm.

You'll note also that the stored size of photos will be different depending on what's in the picture. Some things compress more efficiently than others.

Your camera is working the way it is supposed to.

10-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!