Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

WG-1 Hands-On Video

Hey all,

I had the opportunity to shoot for a day with the new Pentax WG-1 waterproof camera. I made a video of the trip, you can check out here:

Any questions you have, let me know,

03-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Obvious question would be... how did you like the wg-1? I'm pretty tempted by it or the panasonic ts3 and will probably go with the latter because the optics in my optio w60 haven't been the best. GPS tagging is enough to encourage me to finally upgrade though.
03-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have always been a fan of the Pentax Waterproof cameras. I find that most competing models feel like a bar of soap underwater, or even in the rain. I like the rubberized, grippt feel of the Pentax. IQ is quite good, especially in terms of dynamic range, it seems quite improved from the W90. The final photo of the video, the landscape shot is an unprocessed JPEG and you can see there is quite a bit of information in the highlights and shadows.

My one concern is the video mode. The W90 suffered from awful vertical banding, and I saw it to a lesser extent in the WG1. That said, this is still a pre-production unit, so hopefully that aspect will be improved.

As far as the TS3, I haven't used one yet, but if you are interested in video the Panasonics are awesome. But you can't beat the handling of the Pentax.
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey all,

I had the opportunity to shoot for a day with the new Pentax WG-1 waterproof camera. I made a video of the trip, you can check out here:

Any questions you have, let me know,
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for bringing this great video to the site. I enjoyed your other videos such as the W90 as well. You do a great job, keep up the good works. I don't know if you have noticed but Pentax cameras are hard to come by in stores (at least here in the US.) Are you a Pentax dSLR user as well? I was wondering if you were using a Pentax to record the video.

Thanks again!

03-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax cameras can be hard to come by, but the shop I shoot for, The Camera Store carries their entire line-up, from the compacts to the 645D, so I get plenty of hands on time with them. I have a Pentax film system, but I haven't jumped up to DSLRs until they improve the video functionality a bit more. However, I do use my Pentax lenses on a Panasonic GH2 quite often. I absolutely love the K-5 for stills, I rent it for any outdoor landscape work when I need something light and well sealed.

The video was shot exclusively on a Canon 5D Mark II. I use the 5D and Panasonic GH2 for most video as only Panasonic and Canon offer full manual exposure control while shooting video. As soon as Pentax gives me shutter speed control and a more efficient file format, I'd love to do some video with a K-5 style camera.

Thanks for watching our videos, we have a few exciting ones coming up soon!
03-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love your videos man! you are very interesting to watch and listen. Thanks for another video. well of coure credit goes for all the team. I've subscribed to your youtube channel. Keep up the interesting stuff I've seen all camera store videos and they are great.
Very nice to hear from you here.
Best regards from Lithuania
03-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now THAT's the kind of video to sell gear!
Fun, irreverent, hits the tech points, and makes a non-Canadian uncomfortable! Great job!

(Loved your 645D video as well!)

Oh wait... I do have a question! I have a W90 and the battery/card door seems like the weak-spot for any failure in that design. Mine has not leaked, but I'm hoping Pentax has improved this - so, is the door design (and seal) different on the WG-1?
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

When will it be officially released? i heard mid-march, but here is is the 29'th and no news yet that i have heard

03-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Absolutely wow. Nice review there - not much jargon, but explains well!

anyway that camera's more weatherproof than me, cool! hahaha
04-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've just been informed the ship date has been revised to mid-April for Canada.
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #11

is it the same for the US?
04-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
The WG-1 should be shipping in the States around the same time, usually about a week earlier.
04-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #13

thanks dude
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Forum Member

The WG-1 is currently shipping from Amazon. I am tempted to get one but it is too pricey right now. Once it hits about $250 I will jump on it, pending reviews.
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
this camera is a crap

stay away