03-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What abt the Samsung EX1/TL500? it is quite a kool camera

03-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
What abt the Samsung EX1/TL500? it is quite a kool camera
Yes - it gets much better rating on its sensor from DXOmark, and has a high-res flip screen.

It depends on whether you like EX-1's 24-72mm or XZ-1's 28-112mm for a lens. The controls are quite different between the two cameras, as well.
04-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just thought I'd chime in to say that I'd love to see a Pentax compact along the lines of the XZ-1. I find this prospect far more interesting than a MILC.
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Me too, re Pentax producing a P&S with a larger sensor and manual controls. However, it doesnt exist and like others in the thread I am also more likely to take a P&S with me than the dSLR to gatherings etc...

So much so that lately I have begun to consider selling all my DSLR gear, including the limited lenses. Only just acquired most of it so I'll hold off for a while, but I am using my G11 more and more. The G11 (and P7000) are pretty chunky though, I guess thats because of the inclusion of the little tunnel viewer...

However I have recently begun looking at Fujifilm again. A friend lashed out and bought an HS20 a couple of days ago, and just took some random shots which he showed me and I was really very surprised at the quality of the shots. This EXR-CMOS sensor (its a 1/2, so still v.tiny) must be doing something right. To which end I have begun looking at the F550EXR, which has the same sensor and which is really very thin, and also has a GPS module built in. It also has some manual controls (aperture and shutter priority) so I am thinking that I might indulge pretty soon, being as how I cant resist new stuff.

If Pentax make one with a decent sensor though, I'll be lining up for it.

04-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
So much so that lately I have begun to consider selling all my DSLR gear, including the limited lenses. Only just acquired most of it so I'll hold off for a while, but I am using my G11 more and more. The G11 (and P7000) are pretty chunky though, I guess thats because of the inclusion of the little tunnel viewer...
Yeah, I did what you're describing. But I found that although my shooting style tends to prefer telephoto with deep depth of field, I find never having shallow depth of field is too restrictive. So I am moving back to a two camera solution - one for hobby, one for family. Depth of field has always been the inescapable differentiator between film sizes and now sensor sizes.
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
Yeah, I did what you're describing. But I found that although my shooting style tends to prefer telephoto with deep depth of field, I find never having shallow depth of field is too restrictive. So I am moving back to a two camera solution - one for hobby, one for family. Depth of field has always been the inescapable differentiator between film sizes and now sensor sizes.
Thank you, Michael, you've reminded me of the main reason I went to dSLR in the first place... unable to get that shallow depth of field that I was so used to with my old Minolta. Thank goodness the reminder came in time.

In the meantime, I did buy that Fuji, and its a damn good performer. It will definitely be my carry it anywhere cam, when I dont feel like lugging the whole kit and kaboodle.