Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any compact cameras with manual focus ring on the lens?

I've not had a P&S with decent manual focus control pretty much ever. Are there any out there that have an actual focus ring on the lens, or easily accessible focus controls that I don't have to go through seven menus to reach?

Doesn't have to be pentax. I've got my Kx, just looking for a small cheap pocktable camera... but if I'm going to get one I'd like better manual focus capability.

Charles.

03-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The closest you're going to get is the Sony Nex with one of the smaller lenses.
03-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji X100 when it goes back into production (you could get one off ebay but prices are hugely inflated right now as plant was closed due to earthquake damage)
03-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think part, well most of the issue is that the evolution of the P&S camera has been to be pocket size with retractable lenses. I believe (my goodness there are lots of them, too many to know really), most of them are all this way now and the nature of the retractable lens just doesn't really work for manual focusing. Heck just finding one with a viewfinder is really hard too. The Canon PowerShot G series is one very good exception to that situation. I don't know how it is at manual focusing but I'll bet it's a good option (and it shoots in RAW too).

The Sony suggestion is s good one too as, I believe would be the Olympus PEN series too.

I have an Optio W80 which is waterproof and that's what I need it for over other needs. Yes I can MF it and it's only a couple of button pushes to get that. For me, if I used it all the time, I'd become more automatic at switching it between all of it's modes. But I know what you mean, on the fly, if can be a daunting task to make these automatic cameras work manually.

Good hunting.

03-25-2011, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
PFH
Veteran Member

I have the Canon S95, the front ring around the lens can be used for manual focus.
The S95 also shoots RAW.
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
I have the Canon S95, the front ring around the lens can be used for manual focus.
The S95 also shoots RAW.
Wow, I didn't know that about the S95. That's quite interesting. +1
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

that is pretty cool about the s95 i didn't know that either (i've played with older versions that didn't have that function like the s80)

03-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Woah, sweet! If the S95 has a reasonably sharp lens and a decent ISO performance I just may have to pick it up. I loved my old Canon A540. I took a bunch of amazing shots with it, but it's dog slow, only goes to ISO800, and is only 4 megapixel. Honestly my upgrade would have been to the A590IS because I liked my A540 so much. (that lens was great, and I love having manual control in a P&S as well as the much needed ability to mount filters)

Charles.
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
PFH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Woah, sweet! If the S95 has a reasonably sharp lens and a decent ISO performance I just may have to pick it up. I loved my old Canon A540. I took a bunch of amazing shots with it, but it's dog slow, only goes to ISO800, and is only 4 megapixel. Honestly my upgrade would have been to the A590IS because I liked my A540 so much. (that lens was great, and I love having manual control in a P&S as well as the much needed ability to mount filters)

Charles.
I can assure you that the lens is very sharp and the ISO performance is more than decent, at least up to ISO 1600. The lens are f 2,0 at the wide end.
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it may have only an analog sensor, but there's always the Olympus XA