Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone tried the WG-1 yet?

I'm really excited about the Optio WG-1, but was wondering if anyone has one, or tired it. Does it really live up to what it says it is?

05-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for reviews comparing it to the panasonic ts3. One review I read said that the gps function doesn't work very well and eats battery life, which is not so good.
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I got the WG-1 without GPS for two reasons. 1) because if I ever want coordinates, I know I want the accuracy of my 60CSx. 2) because I never want to have accidental geotags on my photos.

JC
05-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JanniCash Quote
I got the WG-1 without GPS for two reasons. 1) because if I ever want coordinates, I know I want the accuracy of my 60CSx. 2) because I never want to have accidental geotags on my photos.

JC
What do you think of the WG-1? I have no need for the GPS, so I won't be getting that one.

05-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JanniCash Quote

JC
Well, how do you like the wg-1? Did you have any of the previous waterproof pentax optios and how does it compare?

I have a 60csx as well and do set a waypoint at places I particularly want to remember... But generally I use my waterproof camera when I'm hiking, kayaking, biking or skiing - and in those cases, built in geotagging of the pics would be awesome. For those things that I didn't think to set a waypoint for or want to see again... Or for when I'm looking through my photo library and going... "now where was that again?"

Or for when I'm traveling overseas and I stop in at some cool tourist site thatI think would be memorable... but I look at the pics 5 years later and go... erm. what town was I in? What was that called again?

I'd very much like it if my camera could take over for my shoddy memory.
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
What do you think of the WG-1? I have no need for the GPS, so I won't be getting that one.
I only have it for 600 shots so far, but what I've seen from that is pretty good for a rugged outdoor camera. It has some really neat features, for example the 5 LEDs around the lens for 1cm macro shots like this one (the photos have links to the full resolution images):

That itsy bitsy spider is less than 1cm small but has 10 eyes

It also is reasonably quick in acquiring a focus and has plenty of tricks up its sleeve (like trainable pet face recognition) to help with that. Here is one taken of a moving target at full resolution of 14M.

The 5x optical zoom is actually usable in its full range. There is often a problem with these small lenses that they start to blur the picture when zoomed in more than factor 3-4. Not so with the WG-1. The only point of critique I have on the zoom is that it doesn't allow me to use the optical while taking video. One is restricted to digital zoom which makes taking 720p pointless if used beyond 2x. I know, one would hear the zoom mechanic in the audio recording, but may I please make the decision to accept that or not? If someone from Pentax is reading this, please add an option to allow optical zoom while shooting video to the setup in the next firmware release. Thank you.

I also like the features like continuous shooting, interval shot and interval movie shot (for time lapse). Certainly not the main purpose of a camera like this, but nice to have.

Bottom line is I absolutely like this camera and think it is well worth the money.

JC
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Well, how do you like the wg-1? Did you have any of the previous waterproof pentax optios and how does it compare?
I did not have any waterproof camera at all before (except for an action-cam, but that is irrelevant in this context).

My previous camera was a Casio Exilim EX-V7. That camera took a serious amount of abuse last year when we did a 100 mile backpacking trip in Philmont Scout Reservation in New Mexico. It made it off the trail in one piece and still works, but I don't want it to fail in the middle of some trip. I still have 2 years of scouting to go (if my stepson sticks to it all the way). That's part of the reason for a waterproof camera like the WG-1. Our troop doesn't do much singing, but a lot of hiking and camping, no matter what the weather is.

JC

Last edited by JanniCash; 05-04-2011 at 10:13 AM.
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

I like mine ...

has some very accurate greens and reds; reasonably quick for what it is, seems to suck the battery pretty quick. waiting for the water to warm up a bit before trying it there.
Attached Images

06-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been watching the reviews on amazon and I think I'm going to sit out this upgrade. My optio w60's still working despite being beaten to death & epoxied back together. Maybe the next generation will be more promising. I wish dpreview or some photo site would do a waterproof camera comparison group again. The ts3 looks promising, with better reviews than the wg-1, except for a few people who say it fogs up awfully easily...
06-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

ciao a tutti

da oggi sono anche io in possesso di una WG-1 ma non ho il manuale di istruzioni in lingua italiana

se qualcuno di voi è in possesso del cd multilingua potrbbe scaricare la versione italiana ed inviarmela

questo è il mio indirizzo e-mail : faserrag@inwind.it

grazie a tutti
06-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #11

I've been using my girlfriends WG-1 in the sea during my Crete vacation and did not have any issue with it.
At first I was a bit afraid because the battery door was a bit wobbly, but no water came inside after around 1h of taking pictures at 50cm-1m deep. With default settings the pictures are a bit greenish, but with some PP it looks really better (it's not really sharp underwater, but as I was in a creek, the water wasn't really limpid).

There is one awesome feature, which is the self-portrait-face-detection-smilie-focus-aid thing. It lights up one of the frontal led to show where you are aiming. Not a single self-portrait missed with it, that was terrific !
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #12

WG-1

I recently bought one and so far I'm very happy. I did manage to lose the filter attachment on my first outing. If anyone is willing to sell there's I'd love to buy it. Unfortunately Pentax doesn't sell replacements yet. It's actually called the macro stand O-MS-1 and is part number 39004
06-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I have had mine 2 days, Have big problems with the video quality. In sunlight all videos have a purple tinge to them and have vertical lines, its very very bad, not even up to par with a cell phone. See my thread (with no reply's) I have an example posted.
06-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #14

Original Poster
I've had mine for at 2 months. The video seems better than my other Optio. I didn't really buy it for that feature, but one thing I have noticed several times that if you have it video mode and forget to turn it off, the auto shut down doesn't work and it kills the battery. This has happened several times, but I do have an email to Pentax about it. We'll see what happens.
07-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The TIPA Awards for 2011 voted the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 most "Rugged Compact Camera"