Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

WG-1 Video recording limit

Hi everyone,

I recently got a WG-1 and am overall very pleased with it. The only problem I have with it is the time limit for video recording.

It seems that the camera always wants to record to its internal memory, then transfer to the SD card when the recording ends. This limits the time for continuous recording to about 10 minutes in 720p @30FPS. The card I'm using is an Eye-Fi 8GB X2 card, which is a Class-6 SDXC. I assumed that a Class-6 would offer the speed required to directly record to the card.

Is there some option in the settings, that escaped me so far?

Thanks in advance
JC

05-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Browsing through the K-5 part of the forum I got a hunch.

First I was wrong. The card I'm using is not SDXC but SDHC. Second the camera apparently limits the recording time to what it estimates will result in ~2GB file size (although the maximum file size on FAT32 is 4GB - 1 byte). I tried formatting the card as exFat, but then the WG-1 doesn't recognize it any more.

Does anyone know if using an actual SDXC card would solve this? Being waterproof and shockproof would make it the perfect dash cam to use on a motorcycle.

Regards
JC

Last edited by JanniCash; 05-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, this is a little bit disappointing.

I got a Class 10 SDXC card (Transcend) and the only difference this makes is that the camera will happily format it in exFat instead of FAT32. It will still not record any more than 10 minutes of HD video for a single shutter button press.

I say "a little bit" (disappointing), because recording hours and hours of continuous HD video isn't exactly the purpose of this camera. On the other hand it would make such a great dash cam for a motorcycle.

JC
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got an answer from Pentax customer service, pointing out that

QuoteQuote:
The maximum size per movie file is 2GB ( p.301 User Manual ) using an SDXC card would not change this limit because the file size limit is controled by the camera hardware and not card type.
So I've put "split video into multiple 2GB files" onto my firmware wishlist.

JC

Last edited by JanniCash; 05-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.