Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I'm gonna sit this one out, some lovely shots, Bart and Catriona!

Catriona, I'd keep 2,3, and 4 in your first set, but this one:

You caught some great light and love the colors! Just doesn't fit the topic as well as the three I picked, too bad.

But of course it's your call, good luck!

G. T, love that bridge shot and Anton, the swan looks like it's wearing shades!

06-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
G.T
Veteran Member

I love slick imagery, noiseless... I often have to use a noise reducer in PP (not for both shots here, which is almost an exception).
It was turning a bit green again after having featured a light brown / yellowish shade: Burgundy, as biggest part of France, was in drought until last week, where it rained again.

I missed what could have been a great shot, at dusk. I even stopped my car, took the camera... which welcomed me with a "no battery". And the spare batt was at home.
06-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
I missed what could have been a great shot, at dusk. I even stopped my car, took the camera... which welcomed me with a "no battery". And the spare batt was at home.
Been there, done that. I once drove 50 miles to shoot some scenery with my
DSLR only to find I left the memory card in the reader at home.
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the compliment, chubasco.

and you guys are to impulsive. Careful planning, you know

06-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
G.T
Veteran Member

I was sure I wasn't alone but I concede the unexpected "no battery" (and no spare) is my specialty

Bart: careful what? Damn, I'm sometimes impulsive, and I luv it
06-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The one time I've actually seen a black bear in the wild, I didn't have a memory card in my dslr. So I happily snapped a ton of pics of it with my telephoto lens and then later realized that there was no card in the camera. It flashes on the lcd screen "no card in camera" but that doesn't help when you're looking into the viewfinder. I'll take Chub's advice & use his pics. It's easier than me swithering over this
06-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm with Chubasco on sitting this one out. The images in this comp are really nice from PnS cameras. I will contribute a bit 'o fun with a shot from this mornings storm here in central florida. the competition for survival is getting tuffer as is this comp. these guys are definitely wild and wet and things are about to get stormy.
keep the images coming, i am enjoying everyones work.

Last edited by ivoire; 03-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.
06-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

My favs (in no particular order) are

Last edited by ivoire; 03-30-2012 at 07:40 PM.
06-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks, ivoire.

Funny photo with the squirels. They might be wild but I see the gloves didn't come off. Yet
06-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
G.T
Veteran Member

I'm not worthy!
That's just my village's railroad bridge. A bridge that could have made its way into History, OK. But now it's just a bridge.

I thought there was something weird with these squirrels, but haven't found the gloves until Bart wrote it. D'oh.
06-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
G.T
Veteran Member

BTW, about those squirrels : eastern gray?
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Bart n GT.... i saw these characters fighting over the nuts in a small territory and the idea for a boxing match came to mind. then since its a 'wet' contest, i added some rain. the florida gray squirrels are tiny (5" long body and skinny) compared to the chicago squirrels (12"+ body size). its like comparing a field mouse to a city rat. some of the chicago squirrels are the size of small cats.

GT, the bridge and trail look so similar to a canal bike trail in the chicago suburbs that its uncanny. i've ridden about 60 of the 90 miles of trail and your pic reminded me of those rides.

Barts BnW are always a treat

Catrionas pic has great color and a watery abstract feel. i would have cropped it or cloned out the windshield support, but hey, thats just one opinion.

Last edited by ivoire; 06-18-2011 at 09:07 PM.
06-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
...Barts BnW are always a treat...
Wow. Thanks a lot, ivoire
06-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
G.T
Veteran Member

I've never been good at recognizing (and naming) species or breeds.

The bridge is a very classic steel lattice you'd see not only for railway but also for road applications in remote parts of France. In general, the ways are not really wide.
The trail under runs all along the river and, further, to the canal (it crosses about half a mile on the left hand of the picture), as it's the towpath. Authorities managed to cover it in tarmac and make it a bike and roller way on a total length of 30 miles (from memory).
06-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I actually have another one without the window support - I liked that it gives the picture context. The other one looks like this:

That pic is a bit too smeary I think though.

And looking for it, reminded me of the clouds as we were leaving the Panama Canal - the rain in the canal killed my k20d and made certain I used my point & shoot the rest of the trip.