Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Connecting Optio E60 to PC

Howdy all,

Noob here, but pretty long in the tooth actually.

I've read and re-read the instruction manual for my Optio E60 (dynamite P&S camera and sophisticated too - even if it is a few years old now). I can't find the answer to my question; so I came to you folks.

Can the image on the view finder be displayed on a computer monitor by means of the USB cable connection? I'd like to be able to see the image in a larger format than the viewfinder LCD provides. No, I'm not trying to use like an SLR, I just want these old eyes to have more to look at. I'd also like to be able to release the shutter from the keyboard, too, but that's probably out of the question for such an inexpensive camera. Without a remote shutter release on such an easily moved device, it's hard for me not to move it.

From what I've read in the manual, the only settings I can change are from PC to Pict Bridge for the USB and the video output format for either NTSC or PAL. There is no explanation of how the USB port can be used. Of course, I have uploaded hundreds of pic files using software on the PC and the Optio as basically a removable storage device. What I want to know - before I break something irreparably - is whether or not I can use the camera and USB connection as a monitor.

TIA

08-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if tethered shooting is possible, which I think is not possible with your camera.
08-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank You!

Yes! That was my question (I just didn't know how to ask it).

Thank you, very much, for the response.
08-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
USB Connection

With my X90, as soon as you connect the USB cable between the camera and the computer, the camera will only function as a removable storage device. Not even the LCD screen will power up. There are no settings to change this.

I would guess that your Optio E60 will be exactly the same. Pity, as hooking the camera to a tablet PC would make an interesting combination for many applications as well as helping visually impaired people.

08-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe this design feature could be looked by all manufacturers. With an ageing population it would make sense. It would also be great for doing video work as well.