Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the size is a big plus...

06-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm very concerned about the path PENTAX is taking.
  • While I consider the PENTAX Q to be in a class of its own, the lenses in the Q system, as well as the fonts and other styling used on the camera and lenses (the font resembles OCR-A), make it clear that it is aimed at Lomo and toy camera enthusiasts, a digital alternative to those shooting film toy cameras. This will lead to a separate niche in the camera market. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, the sales of this product will be very low, and the high price is likely to be the result of low-volume production.
  • Although this is unlikely to have a significant impact on K-system sales in the short term, I'm worried that this may take us one step away from the long-term viability of the K system.
  • PENTAX is currently maintaining three different camera systems, 645D, K, and Q. This may make the product line too fragmented, which could pose a problem in the long run.
The name Q is likely to be inspired by the historical basis of the name K. As K initially meant King as in the old M42 mount PENTAX K, Q means Queen.

I do not believe that the Q will be phased out very quickly after it is launched, and it will probably gain a small, loyal following as a truly unique camera, but I'm concerned about what this may lead to in the long run.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 06-23-2011 at 02:15 PM.
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

With regard to flash, it appears the Q has full P-TTL support. Furthermore, the 01 Standard Prime and 02 Standard Zoom lenses have central shutters that allow flash sync at up to 1/2000. Otherwise, it is 1/250.

--DragonLord
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I wasn't that bothered about the Q until I saw the earlier link sowing just how small it is. At that size, of course it has a smaller sensor. People buy convenience though. A large part of the world's economy relies on it. Sure, it's too expensive for me, and if I had the money to spend on camera things I'd get more lenses, but having read this forum and all the posts about people swapping systems and buying lenses and upgrading bodies all over the place, it seems that there are plenty of people out there who just want the latest thing regardless of cost. Just because the Q doesn't happen to be your thing, it doesn't mean it's nobody elses thing either.

Pentax exist for no other reason than to make money - they know more about the camera market than most (all?) of us, and they think this will make them money. I hope they're right. If it makes them enough they might be able to develop the camera the forum wants - you know, that one that's $500 and the size of a thumbnail, but not too small for large hands, and has a sensor the size of a dollar bill and is in a system with a 10-1000 f0.95 zoom pancake lens that can focus on things before they've happened.

Or, it's horses for courses - if you don't like it, fine. Carry on taking pictures with the camera you have - you'll become a better photographer, and save some money. It's a win-win.

06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #20

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Plus, forget all this smile detecting logic; i want that X-Ray Vision scene mode before i buy it.

--Apologies to Adam for posting in the wrong forum for this subject

Last edited by conradj; 06-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.
06-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm very concerned about the path PENTAX is taking.
  • While I consider the PENTAX Q to be in a class of its own, the lenses in the Q system, as well as the fonts and other styling used on the camera and lenses (the font resembles OCR-A), make it clear that it is aimed at Lomo and toy camera enthusiasts, a digital alternative to those shooting film toy cameras. This will lead to a separate niche in the camera market. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, the sales of this product will be very low, and the high price is likely to be the result of low-volume production.
  • Although this is unlikely to have a significant impact on K-system sales in the short term, I'm worried that this may take us one step away from the long-term viability of the K system.
  • PENTAX is currently maintaining three different camera systems, 645D, K, and Q. This may make the product line too fragmented, which could pose a problem in the long run.
The name Q is likely to be inspired by the historical basis of the name K. As K initially meant King as in the old M42 mount PENTAX K, Q means Queen.

I do not believe that the Q will be phased out very quickly after it is launched, and it will probably gain a small, loyal following as a truly unique camera, but I'm concerned about what this may lead to in the long run.

--DragonLord
I don't really think the multi system will be aqn issue

they had 110(slr), 135 (SLR and ps). 645(system) and 6x7(system) running in film days, that morphed to APS film(ps), 135(slr and ps), 645(system and 6x7(System)
until not long back it was
Digital PS
DSLR
645 film
67 film

that changed to
ps (it is a different thing we forget about here)
DSLR
D645
so one less system to support and 2 less than what they normally ran with

running the Q system as ps declines is probably smart, move out of the low and ps crap market or subcontract that crap to a chinese plant until it's no longer viable
ps/qsystem become the same lineup (waterprrof superzoom and Q) covering niches within the same market, and get out of the cheap money losers

Still leaves room for enthusiast Milc IMo

along with DSLR and Medium format
09-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #22

Japanese magazines...

The Japanese magazines seemed to have a favorable review of the camera.. but they seem to have a favorable view of all of their main sponsors!
09-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The Q is a great little system, and though it won't make the beautiful bokeh of larger formats, I've seen the IQ of sample shots and it seems quite good!

The Q will have two big niches besides its size that make it shine, and those are:

High-speed-sync flash photography. In ANY camera, a 1/2000s flash sync speed is something to brag about on the front of the box in neon green letters.

Fast, Compact, telephoto shooting. Using adapters, the Q has more telephoto reach with faster speeds than any camera out there, thanks to its small high-res sensor. Need a 560mm F/2.8? You got it, just strap a DFA 100 macro to the front. There's going to be low light telephoto shots out of this thing that will be the envy of Full-frame DSLR users, with a camera that, though not pocketable now with that big lens on it, is still way smaller than the equivalent 35mm setup, with a much faster lens.

Edit: Third niche: CONCERTS. Small sensor plus fast lenses and High ISO means you get everything in focus thanks to the small focal length's deep field, even wide open, and you can catch the dim natural light in a concert setting.

That said, if neither of those things really tickled me, I'd just as soon go for the Fuji. It's got classic controls, a great classic look, that amazing viewfinder, and even though the lens is fixed, the lens and sensor are perfectly matched. The Q is a great little system camera, but the X100 is a masterpiece.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 09-25-2011 at 10:17 AM.