Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q mirrorless, I might get my wife one...

Well this is interesting.

I was going to get the wife a Fuji X100 as a gift, but now that I've seen the new Q system, I'm thinking I might just go that route since its interchangeable above all. Other than that, if the IQ measures up, I think she'll like the white version given it's size and style.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-22-2011 at 09:34 PM.
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

it's damn petite and cute! I'd get this for my girlfriend if I'm rich. LOL!
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Right now I would go with a Nx100 or a EP-3 which is due out at the end of the month.
06-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #4

sorry but I am eyeing the epm1 instead. I am not sure if these 5 lenses combined are better than the lens on the xz-1, for example. Now if the aps-c mirrorless can use k-mount lenses (probably not though right?).

06-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested
06-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A quote from dpreview....

"To make clear what the rather opaque 1/2.3" figure actually means, it equates to a surface area of around 28mm2. This is around 1/8th the size of the sensor used in Micro Four Thirds cameras and 1/13th the size of the the APS-C format sensor in Sony's NEX. The advantage of this is that the lenses for the Q mount can be made a lot smaller than those for other systems, but the downside is that the image quality is more likely to resemble that of a compact camera than a DSLR".

Doesn't sound too hot to me...
06-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In fact it, buy using this new 'Q-mount' system and smaller sensor instead of buying into the M4-3rds system (which is selling well) Pentax is at risk of the same kind of alienation suffered by Sony in the Mini-Disc fiasco...

06-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep, looking myself for a small, portrait-oriented mirrorless camera, the only good candidate around is the NX100 + 30/2 pancake...
There is also the m4/3 + 20/1.7 alternative, but high-iso is not so good...

Here we have a (roughly) 47mm f/11 equivalent, not so good for portraits compared to the NX100...
But for the street shooter, it seems like a nice little package...
06-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #9

Well it's a toy system with toy lenses, but it's brought to life with that typically thorough approach Pentax brings to its engineering. It's a continuation of the kind of attitude abt cameras that produced the MX and the LX.

A lot of folks, or most of them who've commented on the camera have been dismissive of it, but i look at the thing and am impressed as hell. Toy it may be, but it's a miniature serious camera toy, with everything i'd want and never seen complete in a compact camera, including a solidity that'll survive its inevitable technical obsolescence, that aura that got me to say abt the MX after 25 years with it; Yeah there're lots better and more modern cameras around, but i use it because i love the thing. Heck, i find myself saying the same thing abt my K-7.

Too bad i can't afford it; i'd certainly replace my A650 with this if i could.
06-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One previewer suggested that this camera is aimed squarely at the Japanese home market, where tiny and "fun" cameras are very popular right now.

While I don't think that this is intended as a toy camera, it does have two "toy" lenses available. They're even labelled Toy Wide and Toy Telephoto. They will sell for $69, according to the preview I read and are intended for a lomo effect. The other lenses are high quality lenses.
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This product's USP isn't amazing IQ, it's size. It's small - it can fit on a freaking keyring for God's sake! I can see it becoming quite a trendy thing to have - it's not an item that's likely to appeal to brand committed informed enthusiasts types like most people on this forum, but it might well create a slew of new sales to non-photography types who just want something a bit better than a phone camera without buying into a whole DSLR system. But, pricey, there's no denying that.

Great photo here showing just how small it is: Pentax launch the Q
06-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI the Q isn't a DSLR, so let's not start threads about it in the DSLR section

Once the camera becomes available, we will open a dedicated forum for it. Until then, please use the compact camera forum for all Q-related discussion

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well this is interesting.

I was going to get the wife a Fuji X100 as a gift, but now that I've seen the new Q system, I'm thinking I might just go that route since its interchangeable above all. Other than that, if the IQ measures up, I think she'll like the white version given it's size and style.
That timeless classic look of a Rangefinder camera with APS-C sensor and fully functional viewfinder versus the Q with P&S sensor and an accident waiting to happen pop-up flash - your wife will never say anything to the contrary, but I think she would be happier with Fuji X100 than the Q.

Thanks,
06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
That timeless classic look of a Rangefinder camera with APS-C sensor and fully functional viewfinder versus the Q with P&S sensor and an accident waiting to happen pop-up flash - your wife will never say anything to the contrary, but I think she would be happier with Fuji X100 than the Q.

Thanks,
that would depend on whether his wife is a photographer or a snap shooter i would think
06-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

Did you all see the comparative picture of the sensor compared to the NEX...OMG...it is teeny!