Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #286
Site Supporter

Yes, same interest with digiscopic/tele-lenses adapters, so that my FA*600mm becomes a 3300mm equivalent !

07-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Holy cow, that would be amazing! I am unfamiliar with that process...would you lose light using such an adapter, as I would using extension tubes?
07-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #288
Site Supporter

No light/f stop limitation, but in the automatisms certainly :
- light metering and lens identification (for SR adjust) possible to conserve (via contacts)
- auto aperture seems impossible to recover (via bayonet), unless some electrical engine is installed in the converter
- same problem for autofocus, which would stay manual
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Wow. I really hope they can make this system work. Access to tools that would enable such extreme macro and telephoto possibilities is very exciting.

07-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #290
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ground control to Major Tom...
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #291
Site Supporter

A digicsopic adapter for Pentax Q

Canon mirrorless camera adapter patent | Photo Rumors

This is exactly the kind of thing that is needed to give Pentax Q a leading advantage over any other compact P&S cameras for digiscopic applications, like Pentax scopes and K mount FA* telelenses.
07-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #292
Banned

PENTAX 8-48mm f1.0

If Pentax made one with Q mount it would sell like hotcakes for 1080p30 HD video with SR !

Last edited by jogiba; 07-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
07-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #293
Site Supporter

I actually thought after knowing about the "NC-1" rumor, that the Q-mount would be somehow C-compatible...

07-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Not only C-mount but also CS mount! It looks quite exciting. Maybe I'll change my mind and buy one.
07-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #295
Pentaxian

In a review of the Sony NEX-C3 Engadget mentioned the Pentax Q. They weren't allowed to take home photos of it, so they only reviewed the photos on the cameras screen, and basically they said the Q sucks big time... it's simply horribly noisy (at least compared to the NEX-C3... which is cheaper, takes great video, is fast, very good high ISO performance, better dynamic range, easy to use, ... they loved the C3 and seem to plan to get one for each writer on the staff for photos and videos at trade shows etc.)
07-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #296
Pentaxian

But you cannot mount normal flash on the NEX and you cannot sync it at 1/2000. And there are other advantages on Q's side. (fullHD video, huge DOF, shooting speed, user interface...)
07-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #297
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the article on Electronista (about Q and rumours on upcoming Nikon's mirrorless system) http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/21/prototype.utilizes.relatively.small.sensor/:
/"Many potential customers are expected to be disappointed if the camera is eventually confirmed to integrate a small sensor, such as a 1/2.3- or 1/2.5-inch variant that is common to point-and-shoot cameras."/

Then from Wired:
Pentax Q. Mirrorless, Interchangeable Lenses, Tiny Sensor | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
/But *that sensor cripples the system*. Why would you go for this over a Canon G12 or other compact camera when the sensor is about the same size?/

From the CNet (a female reporter):
Pentax Q: Too little, too late and too much? | Crave - CNET
/I don't think the Q was designed with the U.S. market in mind. *We like small, but not at any cost*. So it makes sense that Pentax is shipping the Q in Japan during the summer, while it's slated for a fall release here. /

The threads about Q here, then on DPReview and numerous articles around the web are a goldmine for a keen psychoanalyst, who can explore psychoanalytic theories of Sigmund Freud and later psychoanalysts.

Obviously a vast majority of camera-related geek websites' population and audience are GWCs (Guys With Cameras), or, human males in their reproductive age, who inside their cameras, lenses and their performance reflect their own selves, body parts, and performance in those existential, bed-related disciplines.

Thus technical image quality (or the quality of their perceived sexual performance) cannot be good if the sensor is too small (obviously referring to their manhood), and will defame anything that dares to prove otherwise.

Obviously, for them enjoyment of the other part (the art of photography) is directly related to the size, performance of their equipment, then mating rituals and gifts involved (necessary skills and number of quality lenses, filters, flashguns, etc.).

If one tries to prove otherwise, and if the photography (partner) can be satisfied with (male God forbid it!) "different" approach, and not only by night (HiISO performance) — say with more romance and thought during the day (ahh, anyone can do it! they say in defence) — they suffer from serious anxiety, crisis, which are quite obvious in threads and comments about Pentax Q on geek oriented websites.

But there are others, or, more mature replies and observations. On websites like this they are rare, for such individuals just drop in occasionally and go back to the art form itself, which they know they can enjoy in various ways and not suffer from any inadequacy complex.
07-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #298
Pentaxian

WTF? It is a fact that a larger sensor generally produces better images (when comparing to the same generation of sensors).

PENTAX Q (Digital Mirrorless) test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Actually, that is somewhat impressive. I still think my ancient *istDs beats the crap out of this, and cameras such as the NEX-3 are miles ahead of the Q, BUT for a sensor of that size it is actually pretty good. My Canon SX130 IS with a similar sensor (size, MP) is looking worse at 1600. Still. At least a 1/1.63" sensor would have been great, cause I'm sure the next generation of Canon P&S rivals this the Q, at a fraction of its price).

Here's the rest: PENTAX Q test - a set on Flickr
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #299
Pentaxian

No there is no such "fact".

1] Photographers produce images, not sensors
2] Depends a lot on the quality metrics
3] If huge DOF is desired, then this little beast is a strong weapon. You get a DOF of f9 with the kit prime wide open and yet the ISO 800 seems very usable. You would have to stop down the large sensor camera a few clicks and dial ISO 25600 to het the same DOF. I'm pretty sure the Q wins in this case.

Imagine using DA35 macro with an adaptor on the Q system!
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #300
Veteran Member

I wish someone else would post some additional images created with Q. I can't wait to see its possibilities for macro. The ability to use off-camera flash and small apertures should make this camera incredible for macro. If only they would release extension tubes for it.