Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #61

I don't think they'll do much of anything unless they can get in stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy.

06-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I don't think they'll do much of anything unless they can get in stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy.
I doubt that they will go into these stores since they do not currently have any presence. I suspect that in North America you will not find it in many stores but it will be available at the usual online retailers.

Concerning the issue of small sensor vs. APS-C size... hasn't it been announced (or at least rumored) that Pentax will be releasing a mirrorless APS-C camera later this year? If this is the case, why comment negatively on the "Q" ? If small sensor doesn't work for you, wait for the larger-sensor mirrorless.

For me (and I think a lot of others) it will come down mostly to PRICE. I don't think I could justify it at the announced price but I don't think it will stay that high for long. If it could somehow come down to a price comparable to the G12, LX-5 and so on, it could be successful (on scale.)

Then again, what do I know...
06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Crop factor: 5.5.
That means the 47mm equivalent normal lens has an equivalent f-ratio of f/10.5.
Doesn't sound as good as f/1.9 anymore.
No wonder the camera has a "software bokeh" function.

Imaging Ressource have posted a hands on review already.
06-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$800 is ay too high.Id rather a k-mount but its size is intriging. $400 with plastic body and gps. $550 mag body with weather seals. $800 with an aps-c sensor crammed in there some how!

06-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I doubt that they will go into these stores since they do not currently have any presence. I suspect that in North America you will not find it in many stores but it will be available at the usual online retailers.

Concerning the issue of small sensor vs. APS-C size... hasn't it been announced (or at least rumored) that Pentax will be releasing a mirrorless APS-C camera later this year? If this is the case, why comment negatively on the "Q" ? If small sensor doesn't work for you, wait for the larger-sensor mirrorless.

For me (and I think a lot of others) it will come down mostly to PRICE. I don't think I could justify it at the announced price but I don't think it will stay that high for long. If it could somehow come down to a price comparable to the G12, LX-5 and so on, it could be successful (on scale.)

Then again, what do I know...
Is this true?
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #66
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by dmc Quote
Do you mean it needs a bigger sensor? If so, I think it best to wait and see some test results before we judge. As for the price, remember what the first G1 or GF1 cost? They are considerably less expensive now. Perhaps a little patience is in order before we jump to conclusions. Now, about that censor . . .
You know what? Pentax Q's censor is smaller than the other digital camera's censor.
I don't think that small censor have expensive body. with the lens is over $1000. It is same price of DSLR camera. Do you think Pentax Q will be good camera? I don't think so if they sell $800 with small censor. It's only for Japanese.
06-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #67
Banned

Interesting. I look forward to it reaching the US market.

Price? Yes, it's steep, but no ILCs are under $500 and those that are less expensive don't have magnesium alloy bodies. It's ridiculous to expect this to sell for $200-300. It also targets the Japanese market first - the rest of the world can just comment for now.

Design? I like it - I could just look at the images and figure out how I could use it - I like the interface and styling

Sensor? Yes, it's small compared to others, but this doesn't mean it's useless. I got great shots from the Canon S3IS and that was introduced 5 years ago in 2006 with a similarly sized sensor. I expect the Q sensor and optics to be even better - if that's the case, it will be a very nice camera.

Not original, copying other cameras? People are missing the fact that the design of the Q has been started 5 years ago*, before m4/3 systems were on the market - this camera has just been waiting for sensor technology to make it possible and the Sony backlit sensors provided that. Like with the 645D, this project predates the Hoya acquisition. Kudos to Hoya for bringing these designs to market!

Larger APS mirrorless coming in the fall? I'd wish, but even then I'd be interested in this for a portable solution. I've been having fun with my phone but it doesn't have the ergonomics or controls of a camera.

Here are some shots from my HTC HD7 phone, just to provide some perspective on what small sensors are capable of:

I would have trouble getting the DOF of the following two shots with a DSLR:

All of these are processed on the phone and then uploaded directly to flickr. No PP tricks other than choice of filters.

Two of these shots were taken with the phone when I also had my SLR with me - the phone was the better tool at the moment.

No one will provide the capability of an SLR in a small size anytime soon. Nor do they have to. They only need to provide a fun to use camera in small size. This is the first ILC I see that actually looks like it might be pocketable.

06-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #68
Veteran Member

As a street shooter I would need good high ISO performance. i.e. in China I did some, and eventhough it was sunny I used ISO 800 or 1600.

And what do you expect from a camera this size? My *istDS from, 2005 or so? beats the crap out of any point and shoot with a 1/2.3" sensor. Easily. This can't even consider to think it can compete with the other ILC cameras (I've seen the Samsung NX100 for 200 Euro with lens, and the NEX-3 for I think 300 Euro).
06-24-2011, 02:06 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
vent :)

I'm with Laurentiu, his comments are spot on. It's gorgeous, and it's a winner! Why?
  • Truly pocketable, unlike other small systems that as soon as they have a lens, look ridiculous and become unpocketable.
  • Not a clone/duplicate of all sorts of other systems that already own that market. Why would Pentax want to do exactly the same as everyone else?
  • To be able to say "the smallest" is priceless, it's a) a USP and b) gives it character
  • Fits perfectly with the Pentax philosophy of compact cameras designed for unusual circumstances
  • I expect a ruggedized version which will become a hit with mountaineers, cross-country cyclists, the military, police etc
  • Look at the magnesium alloy build, miles ahead of competitors
  • Reasonable initial range of lenses which will obviously expand in time, and in a unique mount so all good revenue generating material
  • Potential for one off lenses, again revenue that goes to Pentax relatively easily
  • This revenue will be spent on R&D that will impact the features on DSLRs in the years ahead. Pentax re-uses its HDR tech all over the place on various models already, think along those lines. Functionality that is used across the range << damm smart product design
  • Design - not too sure about the flash which looks like it might snap off easily, but for the rest looks ok to me. I'm not the biggest fan of the retro look myself but it's growing on me. Some people will quibble about button size but erm, what the hell do you expect?
  • Sensor - good decisions to a) initially put in something that maximizes high ISO b) go for smaller thus making it easier to put in a wider range of lenses rather than being limited by registration distance and c) go for a future-aware option
  • Future-aware because sensors and in-cam processing will only get better. This immediately makes other small systems look bulky and clumsy, whereas this has the benefit of petiteness going forward, thus of being able to take advantage of tech as it improves. A far-sighted decision, smart.
  • You want small? Imagine a Q mount pancake. I bet it's coming
  • Laurentiu posted what this sensor size can do and I bet this one's slightly better. It's going to be just fine for 8 by 10s or standard pics. Which covers 99.99999999% of what most people except photography nerds like us actually needs :roll
  • Expensive? Sure, but minaturisation is one of the directions that also has its own premium attached. And resellers will knock off points from the RRP. Too expensive for you? Don't bloody buy it then, yeesh, seeeemples. Pentax' first duty is to stay in business and make money otherwise we're all scr*wed. I hope they make an absolute bomb off the people who can afford to buy this so that people like me who can't will have the R&D beneifit on other future dSLR models
  • Typically hypocritical to see people on various other forums slagging it off when they're always the first to cry that 'oh noes, my Pentax gets picked on by Canikonites' or 'XYZ is unfair'. Some people are just moaners.
  • You know, having 'toy' on a lens really doesn't worry most people. Maybe some people need to broaden their horizons, I can think of all sorts of adult toys that are quite good fun Not everybody is that precious or takes camera technology that seriously. And this is aimed at them! Cool!

Last edited by Nass; 06-24-2011 at 06:06 AM.
06-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #70

I would be happier with a slightly bigger camera compatible with the K lens system.
06-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #71

Finally pentax have produced a digital interchangeable lens camera which will not accept our collection of old Pentax lenses. This goes against one of their strong selling points for every DSLR they have ever made. Is this a good idea? The jury is out on that one, but if they had brought out a camera that worked with their impressive lens range, including pancakes, I would be very tempted. What was good about the 110 was the viewfinder - I can not get used to lcd screens, partly because of my ageing eyesight, partly because they don't work well is strong daylight. The Q seems to be a bit of a toy as its lenses suggests (but not the price!), but maybe I am being old fashioned and unfair. I do hope the Q is a big success for Pentax, and I hope it can take good photies. Hopefully it will bring a whole new group of young people into Pentaxland.

Last edited by ronniemac; 06-24-2011 at 03:06 AM.
06-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
I would be happier with a slightly bigger camera compatible with the K lens system.
Exactly!
06-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Here are some shots from my HTC HD7 phone, just to provide some perspective on what small sensors are capable of:

All of these are processed on the phone and then uploaded directly to flickr. No PP tricks other than choice of filters.
My favourite post on the subject. a) Great pics and b) Shows exactly what's missing from this new Pentax - any consideration on how people want to use their cameras. To my mind, any new 1/2.33" based camera from any manufacturer has to have 3G capability just to stay in the game.
06-24-2011, 05:57 AM - 3 Likes   #74
MSM
Veteran Member

People...please. Can't we just wait until RH reviews the Q system until we pass judgement.

sorry, I couldn't resist.

@Nass and Laurentiu nice posts! Let's all just wait and see.
06-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
To make that happen you're making a camera that is slightly smaller than the K-x and not slightly bigger than the Q. And it would also be worthless to make an adapter to use on the Q because the 5.5 crop factor makes a 28 2.8 legacy lens a telephoto.

tbh I don't think Pentax's target market for the Q is its existing dSLR users. This is aimed at bringing new customers to Pentax from compacts that will later buy a dSLR. I think this is one area that Pentax does terribly. They don't have any bridge cameras and a very limited compact selection.

I am not a fan of the initial pricing however. I think it's going to turn a lot of customers off.