Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #76
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh my ... this is frightening! The sensor is nearly flush w/the front of the body. I wouldn't be surprised if it holds an electrostatic charge too attracting dust to it. Regardless of dust removal included, I have a feeling dust, fingerprints, et al will be a problem with this body. Wish it had a curtain that could go over the sensor while the lens is removed.

(image c/o imaging-resource)

But if this is good in low light sans flash, I think I'll still want one (once 'the street' dictates a realistic price).

p.s. Gotta love this! Hahahahaha.........

Last edited by m8o; 06-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.
06-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #77
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
People...please. Can't we just wait until RH reviews the Q system until we pass judgement.
sorry, I couldn't resist.
You get a 'like' for that!
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #78
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks m8o.

I think this is going to be a neat camera. Obviously, not for everyone, though.

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the sensor in the Q bigger than the one in the LX/D-lux series. I have an original Dlux 2 and it is a great small camera. This camera looks smaller. I will keep an open mind.
06-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #79
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Design - not too sure about the flash which looks like it might snap off easily, but for the rest looks ok to me. I'm not the biggest fan of the retro look myself but it's growing on me. Some people will quibble about button size but erm, what the hell do you expect?
Note that the flash doesn't need to be extended to fire. The extension is supposed to help with some lenses once you attach hoods.

And I like that 1/2000 flash sync - it would be great with a closeup lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
My favourite post on the subject. a) Great pics and b) Shows exactly what's missing from this new Pentax - any consideration on how people want to use their cameras. To my mind, any new 1/2.33" based camera from any manufacturer has to have 3G capability just to stay in the game.
Thanks. But I won't lack connectivity features - I brought the point just to make it clear that I didn't do any special gimp/PS processing on those images. If I have a camera with RAW capability, I won't upload shots directly from it - I'll want to process them in my regular flow. I'll keep using the phone for facebook type of snapshots.

One other thing: I don't expect a K-mount adapter due to the Q not having a shutter. Maybe an adapter would be possible, but it would also be complex and costly. I wouldn't miss one - a macro lens is what I'd want most in this setup.

06-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I don't think they'll do much of anything unless they can get in stores like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy.
What he said. IMHO they should have taken these $ and put it into marketing and getting back into some B&M stores first somehow. Especially for a new concept camera like this people are going to want to hold and feel the thing. Pentax wants to see a direct ROI on any marketing $, and yet they developed this long shot? Another niche market that gives further question to what their market is. Define a market and excel at it until such time as you have the $ to expand your niche. Plus the pricing makes no sense as others have said. You can get much more for your dollar in just a compact P&S. Doesn't even have a built in view finder! So what if it is the smallest in it's class by just a few mm?? Just makes it that much harder to hold.

On a separate thread somebody suggested Panasonic should buy out Pentax. All I can say is somebody with deeper pockets and/or more commitment to the brand along with a real marketing department could propel Pentax forward by leaps.
06-24-2011, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

Got an email ad from Pentax today at my warranty registration address with them.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Was just zoning out on the drive from home and thinking that with its sensor being so far forward, making the next toy lens a lensbaby-like TS would be really easy?

06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #83
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
One comment I'd like to add is that it's hard to see how tiny this camera is from the posted images. But considering the size, it probably would have been hard to put a bigger sensor in it- and since Pentax's big focus is size, this camera might well do better than we expect (or it could backfire because of cell phones).
06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Yeah, me too Docrwm. Glad their emarketer didn't make the same cockup as last time - "Dear %"
06-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'm with Laurentiu, his comments are spot on. It's gorgeous, and it's a winner! Why?
  • Truly pocketable, unlike other small systems that as soon as they have a lens, look ridiculous and become unpocketable.
  • Not a clone/duplicate of all sorts of other systems that already own that market. Why would Pentax want to do exactly the same as everyone else?
  • To be able to say "the smallest" is priceless, it's a) a USP and b) gives it character
  • Fits perfectly with the Pentax philosophy of compact cameras designed for unusual circumstances
  • I expect a ruggedized version which will become a hit with mountaineers, cross-country cyclists, the military, police etc
  • Look at the magnesium alloy build, miles ahead of competitors
  • Reasonable initial range of lenses which will obviously expand in time, and in a unique mount so all good revenue generating material
  • Potential for one off lenses, again revenue that goes to Pentax relatively easily
  • This revenue will be spent on R&D that will impact the features on DSLRs in the years ahead. Pentax re-uses its HDR tech all over the place on various models already, think along those lines. Functionality that is used across the range << damm smart product design
  • Design - not too sure about the flash which looks like it might snap off easily, but for the rest looks ok to me. I'm not the biggest fan of the retro look myself but it's growing on me. Some people will quibble about button size but erm, what the hell do you expect?
  • Sensor - good decisions to a) initially put in something that maximizes high ISO b) go for smaller thus making it easier to put in a wider range of lenses rather than being limited by registration distance and c) go for a future-aware option
  • Future-aware because sensors and in-cam processing will only get better. This immediately makes other small systems look bulky and clumsy, whereas this has the benefit of petiteness going forward, thus of being able to take advantage of tech as it improves. A far-sighted decision, smart.
  • You want small? Imagine a Q mount pancake. I bet it's coming
  • Laurentiu posted what this sensor size can do and I bet this one's slightly better. It's going to be just fine for 8 by 10s or standard pics. Which covers 99.99999999% of what most people except photography nerds like us actually needs :roll
  • Expensive? Sure, but minaturisation is one of the directions that also has its own premium attached. And resellers will knock off points from the RRP. Too expensive for you? Don't bloody buy it then, yeesh, seeeemples. Pentax' first duty is to stay in business and make money otherwise we're all scr*wed. I hope they make an absolute bomb off the people who can afford to buy this so that people like me who can't will have the R&D beneifit on other future dSLR models
  • Typically hypocritical to see people on various other forums slagging it off when they're always the first to cry that 'oh noes, my Pentax gets picked on by Canikonites' or 'XYZ is unfair'. Some people are just moaners.
  • You know, having 'toy' on a lens really doesn't worry most people. Maybe some people need to broaden their horizons, I can think of all sorts of adult toys that are quite good fun Not everybody is that precious or takes camera technology that seriously. And this is aimed at them! Cool!

You nailed it Nass

As for the iq and quality concerns people are whinging on about, aside form the posted half size pics that looked pretty fair to me, iq isn't everything. neither is Bokeh. hell if i want that i'll shoot one of my 7 35mm camera, my 645, my 67, my 4/3 or one of my 3 Pentax DSLR
on the other hand this looks like it could be a damn fun little unit and i could live without the zoom but i'd love a kit with the prime the fisheye and the 35mm equiv toy lens, only wish would be for a higher quality fast (as in more light not DOF) 28 or 35mm equiv for street shooting as mentioned by someone earlier
Price looks high right now but i don't imagine it will stay there long

Last edited by eddie1960; 06-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #86
Veteran Member

i just got the email as well

looking around OhGizmo raves about it, and the only comment so far from a reader is also positive (it just posted)
holy Moly
also raves
and i'd say this comment is the target market

"I'm about as a good a photographer as I am a sheep shearer, but I like shiny things that look like they were built in the 70s very, very much. This camera from Pentax, the Pentax Q fits every bill I've ever had. Drool!

Packing an entire DSLR into something that looks like a point and shoot that Peter Fonda would have owned is pretty much all i want in lfe. This not only looks amazing, but comes with interchangeable lenses galore, shoots HD video, inbuilt hopstamatic style treatment, a HUGE LCD screen, continuous shooting and all the rest of it.

Plus - it looks like THAT."

LOL
I think we all miss the point being such a "serious" lot of photographers

I wonder what Benjikan will have to say about it I could actually see him using it for fun shots on a shoot or handing it to the models like jewelry
06-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One comment I'd like to add is that it's hard to see how tiny this camera is from the posted images. But considering the size, it probably would have been hard to put a bigger sensor in it- and since Pentax's big focus is size, this camera might well do better than we expect (or it could backfire because of cell phones).
Adam,

I agree and that is why I posted the playing card photo. I think its the best that I have seen, with the possible exception of the one with a standard external flash
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
Veteran Member

I gotta see images from it before I decide whether I'd like to have one, but it sure does look nice.
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #89
Veteran Member

So I don't have to repeat myself I've blogged my impressions. Not that different from many others; I think the consensus is in from us "photo enthusiasts."

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Here are some shots from my HTC HD7 phone, just to provide some perspective on what small sensors are capable of:
All this proves is that no-one needs the Q -- they can just use their phone. For anyone wanting better, a larger sensor is a necessity. Also your DOF argument is flawed. A small sensor forces you to use diffraction-limited larger apertures. With a larger sensor you actually have a choice -- stop down or not.

Good images by the way. As opposed to all this geek gadget talk it is good to remember than any camera at all is good enough for teensy shots on the web.

So save your $800.
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
All this proves is that no-one needs the Q -- they can just use their phone. For anyone wanting better, a larger sensor is a necessity.
Tell me rparmar, when the Fiat 500 came out 2 years ago, was it needed? It's small, expensive and retro - there are small compacts our there with larger engines, better fuel economy and more modern looking.

It's bloody EVERYWHERE in London.

Sound familiar?