Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

WG-1 grainy/noisy video.

I just today recieved my WG-1, and I am a little disappointed with the video quality.

I have it on 1280x720@30 and even outside in bright sunlight the video quality is rather poor, its very grainy and noisy when I view the Video files on my PC.

This is right out of the box, no adjustments or changes made.

Are there any tweaks or tricks to get better video? or any software that might help?

06-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Let me revise my statment, after playing around with it some more and testing in indoors and out.

The video quality of this camera is horrid. All videos, no matter what have a purple tinge to them, and all of them have vertical line noise, the video quality is very very bad.

I will post an example asap.

Last edited by Wingnutt; 06-25-2011 at 01:30 PM.
06-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Example video

Not what I expected.
06-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Yeah, that is a bit bad. I want to buy one, but i don't have the money as of yet. I want to wait and see what happens once more people are able to shoot underwater (DAMN WEATHER!)

06-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Indoors, the video is not bad at all, Its as if outside in the sunlight the camera is taking in more light than it can handle, so everything is washed out.

I took a test video through my sunglasses and that fixed the issue, so I think I could purchase a filter that would take care of the bright light issue. Though that is not something I should need to do.

I emailed pentax, will post if I get a reply.
06-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the video mode have any type of exposure compensation setting? If so, crank it down a few stops and see how the videos turn out.

Washed out images/videos probably means a small aperture along with stray light as that camera has no of lens hood obviously. If you have a ND filter, try holding it up to the camera and see how the results look.
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Does the video mode have any type of exposure compensation setting? If so, crank it down a few stops and see how the videos turn out.

Washed out images/videos probably means a small aperture along with stray light as that camera has no of lens hood obviously. If you have a ND filter, try holding it up to the camera and see how the results look.
Setting the EV compensation lower actually seems to make it worse, while raising it actually decreases the presence of vertical lines, but makes the colors even more washed out. I took some video today in conditions that were less bright and did not have as much of a problem, though the sunlight reflecting off the water caused lines/flare to appear pretty bad.

Its like the camera is not capable of shutting out enough light in very bright conditions.

Here is another example, this video came out much better, it was partly cloudy and we were not surrounded by water, my buddy is shooting.. literally

But note the flare caused by the sunlight reflecting off the water.

06-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #8

you realize posting shit like that on youtube will get you banned, right?

anyways, i don't see purple wash in that at all

06-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archangelnesbitt Quote
you realize posting shit like that on youtube will get you banned, right?
LOL, shit like what? fishing?

QuoteQuote:
anyways, i don't see purple wash in that at all
Yea the second video is not bad at all actually apart from the lens flare its getting from the sun reflecting off the water.

The second video was is less bright conditions, we were not surrounded by water and were somewhat in the shade, and the camera seemed to handle that relatively well.

I'm thinking I could probably fix the issue with a filter, I just don't know which to try, any suggestions?
06-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I just got off the phone with Pentax. Despite the camera having the threaded attachment for filters, there are no filters (that he was aware of) for this camera.

Guy on the phone suggested returning it, 4-6 weeks turn around.

I'm not doing that.
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

and no, i meant shit like animal cruelty. But now that i think about it, it's really not cruelty because it doesn't seem to suffer or anything. Personally, i don't give a crap. I'd just hate to see all of someone's videos go bye bye.

As far as the camera, I would just do it. It's well worth it in the long run
06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archangelnesbitt Quote
and no, i meant shit like animal cruelty. But now that i think about it, it's really not cruelty because it doesn't seem to suffer or anything. Personally, i don't give a crap. I'd just hate to see all of someone's videos go bye bye.

As far as the camera, I would just do it. It's well worth it in the long run
Well, for one, nothing ever has or will happen to any of my videos. Secondly, You cannot deal with an alligator gar while its alive. They are absolutely destructive and have some serious teeth. Third, they have a special ability, their air bladder can double as a lung, they can live over 20 hours out of the water. So the options are to either shoot it, or throw it alive in your boat, and hope it doesn't destroy everything you own, then get it home and clean it.. still alive. I prefer to put them down quickly.

I don't think anything is wrong with the camera, I just think it is not very good in direct sunlight. It shoots good video under all but the brightest conditions, and takes good photos. I'm going to try and source a polarizing filter for it, and see of that helps. I dont think sending it off for another will do anything but leave me without a Point and shoot for a month.
07-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Did you try it on the "surf and snow" preset?
07-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Did you try it on the "surf and snow" preset?
those are modes, not presets, just like video is a mode.

When in video mode there are almost no options to mess with.

I returned the camera for a refund.
07-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Sorry my bad i just tried the video MODE on my H90 using the shutter adjust white balance setting but as long as you point it to a hot source, the sensor will go outta whack once it's away for any hot source it's all good again.