Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I might want the Pentax Q

I've been looking for something more portable (IE: Pocket), but that I can still have some DSLR features I love.

I've been mulling over the WG with GPS, but it obviously has no aperture control, and I do so love my bokeh.

I had even mulled over the possibility of a non-Pentax system, but for one reason or another, I really just appreciate the color rendition of Pentax lenses.

I also need something that takes decent 1080p video, preferably with auto focus. If this little camera can pull it off, I'll be very interested.

It is a shame it's not weather sealed. That right there might be able to convince me to pull the trigger.

If this camera can pull of reasonable quality shots, 6400 iso isn't ugly, decent bokeh, and can produce decent 1080p video, I may just buy it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can produce.

06-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Clinton,
From large to tiny. You are well known in the forum for your beautiful large, long and big lenses. The Pentax Q is really the other end of the spectrum, is it not....

Last edited by hcc; 06-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.
06-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
FF dslr from Pentax ???

"take that and shut up"
06-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

I may or may not want one too. If it goes down to 500 or 600 I'll really consider it.

I love my K-r, and I had a K-x before it, and a K100d, and an ME Super, but photography's always been about having fun for me, I'm not out to make money or seek recognition. Frankly I'm tired of carrying around a camera so big, I want something I can just have fun with, something that I can fit in a pocket or something. The small sensor worries me, but with the right lenses, and the ability to shoot in RAW, I'm sure I can make it work to a point that I enjoy the photos that it makes. Also, I like unique things. The Pentax Q is cute.

But yeah, there's no way I'm paying $800 or even 700.

06-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Im waiting to see one in the flesh but if price drops a bit (600 or so) and image quality is decent
High iso at least as good as my k7 and af video im provably sold
It would be nice to have something truly compact and i like the look of it so far
Anywhere this has flaws i have a dozen other cameras to cover
But nothing like this size wise
06-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It'll never match the K7 high iso-wise. But it'll be decent for a compact, and the 50mm lens will be good quality i'm sure. If I had the money i'd definitely get one as it's genuinely compact, unlike other so-called compact system cameras, and much more enjoyable to use than a point and shoot. It looks like a really nice bit of kit to use.
06-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll buy one also for traveling. Eliminate the mirror and reduce the sensor to lens mount distance and therefore increase DOF. To me at least the bokeh or thin DOF is a serious camera design defect in SLR.
Imagine if human eyes have bokeh, the world would look like hell. My dog's eyes have smooth, buttery, and whatever dumb world you can think of bokeh, she couldn't see a rabbit a few feet away although she could smell it presence.

Last edited by violini; 06-25-2011 at 07:30 PM.
06-25-2011, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
To me at least the bokeh or thin DOF is a serious camera design defect in SLR.
Imagine if human eyes have bokeh, the world would look like hell. My dog's eyes have smooth, buttery, and whatever dumb world you can think of bokeh, she couldn't see a rabbit a few feet away although she could smell it presence.

You're saying that this is a perfect camera for your dog?

06-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I'll buy one also for traveling. Eliminate the mirror and reduce the sensor to lens mount distance and therefore increase DOF. To me at least the bokeh or thin DOF is a serious camera design defect in SLR.

Oh wow! I couldn't be more different if I tried....
06-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember that due to the crop factor, the 8.5mm f/1.9 behaves roughly like 50mm f/11 on full frame in terms of DOF. Therefore, you will struggle to get nice bokeh with this camera.
06-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Remember that due to the crop factor, the 8.5mm f/1.9 behaves roughly like 50mm f/11 on full frame in terms of DOF. Therefore, you will struggle to get nice bokeh with this camera.
That's pretty much what I was going to say - the sensor it too small for you to have any meaningful control over depth of field - whatever aperture you choose, there will be lots of it.

As for the human eye not having 'bokeh' (gosh I hate that term and all it implies) - mine do. When I'm looking at my laptop, the rest of the world in my peripheral vision above the screen is blurred. If you hold a book up near my face when I'm looking at the horizon, it takes a split second for my eyes to focus. I mean, it's quicker than a Pentax (but then what isn't?) and - believe it or not - quicker than a Nikon or Canon - but it's still a perceptible change.

Sure, I have quite a big depth of field, but then I have an angle of view of about 180 degrees. Big DoF is what you get with a wide angle
06-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cinders Quote
...I want something I can just have fun with, something that I can fit in a pocket or something....But yeah, there's no way I'm paying $800 or even 700.
You sound like me. I carry my K10D with me to work everyday and I really dislike how conspicuous it is. I'd love to have something small and pocketable, but with good image quality. The Q would work for me, but not at this price. I'm far more likely to buy a Canon G12 and just live with the limitations of a built-in lens.
06-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Are you missing their claim that it will add nice bokeh with a software filter?

Or are you dismissing it as impossible?
06-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
Are you missing their claim that it will add nice bokeh with a software filter?

Or are you dismissing it as impossible?
I could use software to make images from another, cheaper P&S look good ...
06-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I wholly understand your reasoning Clinton, i too have already pre-ordered the system with my local retailer. I still maintain a DSLR system but find myself heading to small and "supposedly" indiscreet cameras P&S...when i pull the DSLR up to my face people turn away, frown, show me the finger and occasionally charge me...lol, mall security never say anything and allow me to freely shoot as i move around malls but the second i pull out a DSLR, they're on me.
The sesor size is the same in the current H90 i just picked up but according to Pentax, they've worked with Sony to tweak sesor to the lenses which should produce far much better images than currently taken by their P&S offerings BUT only real world and post production models will show the real potential. I'm not holding any high hopes until i actually have hands on experience myself.