Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
As Eddie says, they might take away the metal body, the SR, the flash, the hotshoe, some of the manual controls.
Wow maybe people actually want a camera with just one button to press and take pictures. I only dont think they will ever change lenses.

06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I think there will be not a second, APS-C mirrorless system, simply because the new APS-C EVIL cameras will be IN the K system. I foresee a camera with a fixed, not translucent mirror that will bend the optical rays toward the "ceiling" of the camera, where the sensor will be situated. That way, the space below the mirror could houses the battery, so that the camera will not need a big grip. The camera will not be narrow like a Samsung or a Nex, but could be as small as a MX camera.
They have enough problems keeping sensors in a plane, now they'd have to keep a mirror perfectly aligned with the sensor and the image circle, with no degradation along the path. You'd have to worry about dust on a sensor and on the mirror. Me? I prefer some grip.
06-28-2011, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
They have enough problems keeping sensors in a plane, now they'd have to keep a mirror perfectly aligned with the sensor and the image circle, with no degradation along the path. You'd have to worry about dust on a sensor and on the mirror. Me? I prefer some grip.
What eurostar is proposing is already done in small point and shoots.

It would be a way to reduce the thickness of a k-mount body.

The sensor would be where the focusing screen is now, and the "mirror" would actually be a prism that redirects the image to the sensor. The distance from the image sensor to the k-mount flange would be maintained, and the body thickness could be reduced. The sensor could be 100% sealed against dust, and only the outer face of the prism would need to be kept clean. Note that Nikon used prisms inside their early DSLR's to redirect the image to the side.

The SR mechanism would need to be resized so that it would still fit the thinner body.
06-29-2011, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Thanks, Kung Pow. You explained my "vision" much better than me. Surely the camera would not be much lighter than a K-5, but it would still be less bulkier, and should appeal to old timers and lovers of that '70s look... Miniaturization wouldn't be a top priority, because there is the Q line for that. About SR, I don't even see it as a big thing, looking at the future, becouse with higher ISO getting better and better, it loses meaning.

06-29-2011, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

not so unlikely, surely?

I don't see why a k-mount mirror-less camera is that unlikely, even if the k-mount necessitates that it would be roughly the same dimensions as a camera with a viewfinder.

While it wouldn't be much smaller, it would be easier and cheaper to make, as it wouldn't require a mirror or a prism/mirror or a viewfinder. All these bits are expensive and require precise alignment adding to cost and manufacturing time.

While I'd still prefer a viewfinder, most people I hand my camera to try to take photos at arms length before I tell them "to look through the little window like on your Granddad's camera." I got asked today if my camera was really cheap because of that! The impudence!
06-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I really like this possibility of a folded-optic APS-C K-mount mirrorless!

Good thinking!

Pentax could really come into their own here.

Better IQ, DR, noise control than the M43 camp, and a killer lens selection compared to Sony NEX or Samsung NX.

I'd get one in a heartbeat, together with a DA 15, 21, (maybe 35 macro), 40 and 70!

Even if Canikon decided to follow-suite... they for quite some time would not be able to compete on lens size.

FTW, Pentax!
06-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Oh, and please, Pentax.... WR and 2 dials. Ta.

06-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The sensor could be 100% sealed against dust, and only the outer face of the prism would need to be kept clean.
Cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
really like this possibility of a folded-optic APS-C K-mount mirrorless!
I get that the use of a (let's say) side-mounted sensor inside the body could reduce the depth of the camera, but is there any loss of light or degradation of the image due to the use of a prism?
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Cool.

I get that the use of a (let's say) side-mounted sensor inside the body could reduce the depth of the camera, but is there any loss of light or degradation of the image due to the use of a prism?
not sure about the light loss, but all those super thin Sony PS have used this idea for eons so it is functional
i imagine with the right mirror tech light loss would be minimal, and the exposure reading would still be accurate of course
with sensors like the k5 sensor even a stop of light lost is not a massive deal
06-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Regardless of Pentax's final (hopeful) APS-C design, the Q suggests that they are pricing themselves quite a bit above M43/NEX/NX.

I wouldn't be surprised at a $1,000 body-only-equivalent announcement, with WR and a K5 sensor.

There is no strategy fighting against Samsung, Panasonic and Sony in electronics.

(Interesting fact: Panasonic have a higher company turnover than Sony).
06-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not sure about the light loss, but all those super thin Sony PS have used this idea for eons so it is functional
i imagine
The optio w series has a prism and a perpendicular zoom lens.