Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you really think that HOYA will carry TWO mirrorless system?

I've analyzed HOYA's presentation and facts about Pentax Q:

1. Pride for NEW 3rd mount, plans to make new lenses for Q, 5 years development,
20 000 cameras per month (close to K-r's production per month) and e.t.c.
Hoya says that Pentax Q is serious mirrorless system from Pentax.

Hoya likes saving money, economy and unification. I won't see any OTHER mirrorless system from HOYA in future.
I think that HOYA won't release APS-C EVIL.

2. No any firm rumors about SECOND mirrorless system at all.
Specs of Pentax Q (and body's photo) and lenses were known several months ago.

All players of mirrorless market presented already and will present new cameras and lenses this summer.
Second and third generation of cameras.
Pentax should present something right now or train will be gone...Forever.
But Pentax've presented already Pentax Q....

Last edited by ogl; 06-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.
06-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What's almost certain is that they won't be releasing a k-mount mirrorless camera because it wouldn't end up being much smaller than an SLR (because of the sensor separation requirement), but as far as a third system goes, it's unlikely but possible.
06-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's almost certain is that they won't be releasing a k-mount mirrorless camera because it wouldn't end up being much smaller than an SLR (because of the sensor separation requirement), but as far as a third system goes, it's unlikely but possible.
I say not about K-mount mirrorless...I think that guys from Hoya understand that it's move not in right direction...Too long back focal length of K-mount.

I say that Pentax Q is Hoya's view at mirrorless system in principle.

As for me, Pentax Q is a bitter pill...Because, I've planned to buy NX camera with 2 lenses...But I'd like to see APS-C camera from Pentax before new NX20/200..But...No such camera.
I'd like to buy weather-resist EVIL from Pentax with fast WR lenses. But...No such camera too.

Last edited by ogl; 06-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.
06-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why wouldn't you believe it? Every rumor said this camera would be released first, followed by the larger sensor version later in the year. I'll say you are probably right on december 31st, not a day earlier.

I firmly do not believe there has been a lack of new k mount lenses to develop for the Q mount.

K, Q, J. Makes sense to me. The jack mount, new but works with the K, jack of all trades so to speak.

06-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I say that Pentax Q is Hoya's view at mirrorless system in principle.
Well you definitely do... I have heard you.

But: I say Pentax-Q is Hoya's view of a compact mirrorless system.
Which leads to: K-mirrorless has not to pursue miniaturisation,
which opens the option of a small mirrorless with standard K-mount (or a shorter KS with a detachable adaptor, allowing the use of other mounts).
Having a thin camera like a NEX etc. becomes (almost) of no value as soon as you attach regular size lenses.

Last edited by MMVIII; 06-25-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added KS
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Why wouldn't you believe it? Every rumor said this camera would be released first, followed by the larger sensor version later in the year. I'll say you are probably right on december 31st, not a day earlier.

I firmly do not believe there has been a lack of new k mount lenses to develop for the Q mount.

K, Q, J. Makes sense to me. The jack mount, new but works with the K, jack of all trades so to speak.
facts are stubborn things
06-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Why wouldn't you believe it? Every rumor said this camera would be released first, followed by the larger sensor version later in the year.
I hope so! The Q doesn't get my heart racing. Hope there will be an adapter for K mount lenses.

06-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Well you definitely do... I have heard you.

But: I say Pentax-Q is Hoya's view of a compact mirrorless system.
Which leads to: K-mirrorless has not to pursue miniaturisation,
which opens the option of a small mirrorless with standard K-mount (or an detachable adaptor, allowing the use of other mounts).
Having a thin camera like a NEX etc. becomes (almost) of no value as soon you attach regular size lenses.
645 system, K-system, Q-system, P&S and new mount APS-C mirrorless system...?

but...it's impossible for so small photodivision as Pentax
06-25-2011, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

but...it's impossible
Well, the limit of your mind may not be the limits of this world's possibilities

It's not less likely than 67, 645, K, APS, 110

By the way: maybe you reread my posting and then you might notice that with the options I stated there would be

645 - KAF2 - Q > three mounts

Leaving it open to shorten the basic registration distance to allow a variable mount...
By the way, Pentax produces also lenses for even more different systems: K, F, C, CS and sometimes even for Leica-M At least - they are an optics company with some tradition and experience, that's how I would see it.
06-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My feeling is that the sequel to the kr/kx line will be mirrorless. As to whether it keeps k mount or changes mount but allow full function with an adapter remains to be seen.
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Having a thin camera like a NEX etc. becomes (almost) of no value as soon you attach regular size lenses.
Having acquired in the last week a 'factory re-conditioned' NEX-5, I can attest to this. I am, in truth, quite disappointed by how big the NEX-5 is. Even with the 16mm 'pancake' on it, it's not pocketable, and my main reason for getting one was to have a high-quality pocketable. Add the Sony 18-55 or anything else onto it and you just have another DSLR in size.

(Not to mention other grumbles, such as the inability to specify auto-ISO ranges >1600 ISO in PASM modes, stupid Sony RAW formats, and IQ that is still a long way behind the K-x).

Pentax maybe onto something with the Q - DSLR features with OK image quality in a truly compact form - especially if they put into it all the control options (and direct buttons) DSLR users expect, and which they certainly won't find in something like the NEX series.

Oh, and Sony runs with 2 mirrorless systems - E-mount and the pellicle Alpha's like the A35 - so Pentax could certainly do the same.
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
juu
Veteran Member

I also feel that 645 + KAF2 + Q is already at the limit of what Pentax can support. However, the rumours did state that Q-mount comes first, and then another larger mirrorless comes next towards the end of 2011.

I suspect it will actually be a K-mount SLT/pellix like the new Sonys. Which would actually make sense.

But in the case of an actual mirrorless (non-pellix) "full function for K-mount lenses with adapter" is likely wishful thinking. AF for existing SDM lenses not optimized for CDAF will be very slow, and I doubt screw-drive will be supported at all.

Last edited by juu; 06-25-2011 at 02:15 PM.
06-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Hope there will be an adapter for K mount lenses.
If you look at the crop factor and compare the lens size, an adapter is out of the question, unfortunately Practically any lens you'd put on would end up being an extreme-tele.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

645 system, K-system, Q-system, P&S and new mount APS-C mirrorless system...?

but...it's impossible for so small photodivision as Pentax
And yet amazingly Canon and Nikon have how many camera mounts.....?

by that logic I'm surprised Pentax can even manage something beyond a wood widdled dovetail m42.
06-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh I forgot...

Edit: I would also add that Pentax's P&S division has been laughable...until now. The Q is part of that division, calling it something else doesn't make it so - it is a high end point and shoot. One that is one of a kind, and garnering much discussion (beyond this forum too). Think like a politician for a moment...any PR is good PR.

Like I said before, all the rumors pointed to this camera coming first...followed by a mirrorless camera with a larger sensor. I'd say give it 6 months, but you'll probably be mostly gone from the forum in a week or two. I'll actually know something is about to come out when you start rearing your head around here again anyway! After a couple of years, you're kind of predictable like that OGL!

Just for your own reference as well OGL, on 4/26/11 at 2:31AM CST you posted the following, in reference to a Pentax Rep stating there would be not one, but two mirrorless Pentax systems released this year:

The words from offical Pentax. Not rumors.

Care to elaborate on how you've changed your mind since then? If you know something we don't, care to share it? (I mean, beyond rampant speculation...)

Last edited by pxpaulx; 06-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.