Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zelovoc Quote
i think there will be another Q mount camera with bigger senzor later this year, or in the end of year.
Another brands will launch another new cameras and new P&S and top-compact and new APS-C and 4/3 mirrrorless this year and next year...Where will be Pentax Q?

They said that mount size and sensor place could be smaller, but they couldn't make because of SR.

06-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #32

I think it sounds unlikely that we'll see another mirrorless system. If it does show up I think it will be either be a larger sensor that works with the Q or (I know this sounds crazy) a full-frame RF-esque body.

Why? Because as someone pointed out Leica is making money in that segment and is uncontested. A new rangefinder-esque (if they could work out a real AF system that is at least as good as the K-5) system priced between the K-5 and the M-9 (say $3K when announced and quickly dropping to $2k) could sell well.

I would be slightly smaller than an M-9, have shake reduction, a X100 style viewfinder, and combine Pentax's experience with pancake style optics to create a really compact full-frame system (comparatively). Of course it would have a K mount adapter to add the requisite distance.

I also believe regardless of whether a second system is announced Pentax quickly starts making very fast f1.0 or f.95 lenses for the Q. Kinda surprised they didn't start with that.
06-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe, but it will be in another body. Bigger. Don't forget about SR.
what about SR ? Sony and Samsung, both had in body SR w/ dSLRs but decided to go w/ in lens OIS for their mirrorless cameras... Pentax can do the same... moreover their in body SR is not exactly the best
06-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My feeling is that the sequel to the kr/kx line will be mirrorless. As to whether it keeps k mount or changes mount but allow full function with an adapter remains to be seen.
I guess that would make sense if we combined this thinking with the APS-C sensor EVIL rumor. Did anyone say the 2nd EVIL would be shooting for NEX size? It could just be the K-r replacement that (will obviously be APS-C), and Pentax could just remove the mirror and add an EVF.

06-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #35

i dont know about this whole k mount lens registration distance problem - my old film pentax is smaller than most m4/3 cameras

ok so sensor and lcd adds a bit of extra depth but its certainly doable - would have to have any shake reduction in the lens probably to keep it small but that is no bad thing

a range of pentax is lenses that worked with the dslr's too would be good then you can select what kind of image stablisation you want as i think its pretty well accepted that for longer focal lengths your better with it in the lens
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
i dont know about this whole k mount lens registration distance problem - my old film pentax is smaller than most m4/3 cameras

ok so sensor and lcd adds a bit of extra depth but its certainly doable - would have to have any shake reduction in the lens probably to keep it small but that is no bad thing

a range of pentax is lenses that worked with the dslr's too would be good then you can select what kind of image stablisation you want as i think its pretty well accepted that for longer focal lengths your better with it in the lens
I think the electronics are as big a limiting factor as the registration distance, but i could see a replacement for the kr moving to a slightly smaller unit through a pellicle mirror technology while retaining the form factor of an slr, and the high end models like the k5 (and whatever the future holds including at some pointy i would bet a FF) sticking to high end OVF.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower end Q at some point as well
I'd be interested to see what the Kenko is going to be aside from the vaporware it currently appears to be. same sensor size as the Q maybe the same mount when it finally comes out with a c mount adapter....
06-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
I also believe regardless of whether a second system is announced Pentax quickly starts making very fast f1.0 or f.95 lenses for the Q. Kinda surprised they didn't start with that.
I'm very surprised that they led with the Q, if they have a second MILC system coming out with a larger sensor platform.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower end Q at some point as well
8^O I have to say that I _would_ be... What can they take away?

06-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'm very surprised that they led with the Q, if they have a second MILC system coming out with a larger sensor platform.

8^O I have to say that I _would_ be... What can they take away?
Metal Body for one. SR for 2, cheaper kit lens,

As for the leading with the Q, it has been in development for 5 years so likely it was ready to go waiting on a good enough sensor partly. the larder milc may well have been in development a much shorter period of time and needed the extra development. Aside from that if they launched the bigger sensor model the q would end up completely dead in the water whereas this gives them a chance to recoup the development costs on the system and distinguish themselves from the herd.
an APS-C Milc that is Magnesium with SR and WR could be placed above the KR and below the K5 with the KR dropping down in the aps line allowing them to avoid the price battle in entry milc that the nex 3/oly/pana models fight over, and draw enthusiast crowd with a unique offering
06-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #39
juu
Veteran Member

I also think there will be a lower-end Q, perhaps even for Christmas. As Eddie says, they might take away the metal body, the SR, the flash, the hotshoe, some of the manual controls. However, I think they might use the same lenses and sensor. And lower the price - perhaps even a lot depending on the sales.

And they also have room to issue a higher-end Q which would have WR and/or built-in or plug-on EVF, and possibly a slightly (not by much, 1/1.7'' perhaps) sensor, and a WR kit lens.
06-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
I also think there will be a lower-end Q, perhaps even for Christmas. As Eddie says, they might take away the metal body, the SR, the flash, the hotshoe, some of the manual controls. However, I think they might use the same lenses and sensor. And lower the price - perhaps even a lot depending on the sales.

And they also have room to issue a higher-end Q which would have WR and/or built-in or plug-on EVF, and possibly a slightly (not by much, 1/1.7'' perhaps) sensor, and a WR kit lens.
yep, they could also remove 1080p video (wasn't the Kenko Vaporware supposed to lack Video?)

and on a higher end they could add 60fps video vs the 30

the q will make more sense as a system with more than one model

I can even see fixed lens p/s Q coming into the entry lineup to take advantage of the branding
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #41
juu
Veteran Member

I can even see fixed lens p/s Q coming into the entry lineup to dilute the branding
Fixed your post
06-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

yep dilute is more accurate, but marketing guys love to take advantage of the higher end to market the low end. just look at Canon
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there will be not a second, APS-C mirrorless system, simply because the new APS-C EVIL cameras will be IN the K system. I foresee a camera with a fixed, not translucent mirror that will bend the optical rays toward the "ceiling" of the camera, where the sensor will be situated. That way, the space below the mirror could houses the battery, so that the camera will not need a big grip. The camera will not be narrow like a Samsung or a Nex, but could be as small as a MX camera.
06-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

if they launched the bigger sensor model the q would end up completely dead in the water whereas this gives them a chance to recoup the development costs on the system and distinguish themselves from the herd.
But now they've led with the splashy is-it-a-toy (and yes, kudos on style, I suppose) but they've further put a wedge between Pentax and the market for competitive MILC arena.

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I think there will be not a second, APS-C mirrorless system, simply because the new APS-C EVIL cameras will be IN the K system.
I for one was put off from ever upgrading my *istDS because of the pentamirror.

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I foresee a camera with a fixed, not translucent mirror that will bend the optical rays toward the "ceiling" of the camera, where the sensor will be situated. That way, the space below the mirror could houses the battery, so that the camera will not need a big grip. The camera will not be narrow like a Samsung or a Nex, but could be as small as a MX camera.
A sturdy MX-sized body would be interesting, for sure. I do really hope that if this happens Pentax makes the series as distinct from Sony's style and concept as possible.
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #45
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
As Eddie says, they might take away the metal body, the SR, the flash, the hotshoe, some of the manual controls.
I don't expect they'll lose the SR or flash - those are distinguishing features. But body, controls, and -maybe- the hotshoe could go away in an entry level model. It won't happen this year though. We'll barely get this model outside Japan. No time to get anything else.