Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It did take me some getting used to taking pictures without a viewfinder. As you say, it really helps in the bright sun and also to brace it against your person.

09-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
Forum Member

today was anounced Fuji X10, compact camera that has everything i want from compact -> viewfinder (altough only 85% coverage), manual zoom, bigger sensor -> 2/3, good looking. well, can`t wait for it
09-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zelovoc Quote
today was anounced Fuji X10, compact camera that has everything i want from compact -> viewfinder (altough only 85% coverage), manual zoom, bigger sensor -> 2/3, good looking. well, can`t wait for it
Likewise. I bought my X100 last week, been hanging out for it. I'm hoping the X10 OVF will have info in it as the X100 does (even in the optical VF) ..and if it does, I think Fuji has built another winner.

Good viewfinders are necessary because you cannot see LCD screens in bright light no matter how good they are. I have a 920k pixel screen on my GRD3 and its just as useless in bright sunlight as a 230k one.

I wish Pentax would make a decent P&S. A serious compact. Fewer megapixels, a decent viewfinder, manual control, in a small package. Its not too much to ask, surely.
09-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Likewise. I bought my X100 last week, been hanging out for it. I'm hoping the X10 OVF will have info in it as the X100 does (even in the optical VF) ..and if it does, I think Fuji has built another winner.

Good viewfinders are necessary because you cannot see LCD screens in bright light no matter how good they are. I have a 920k pixel screen on my GRD3 and its just as useless in bright sunlight as a 230k one.

I wish Pentax would make a decent P&S. A serious compact. Fewer megapixels, a decent viewfinder, manual control, in a small package. Its not too much to ask, surely.
The optical viewfinder world is pretty thin nowadays, except for the Canon G-series and Nikon's G-series clone, EVF bridge cameras/EVIL cameras (Olympus's Pen EP-* series have an accessory OVF that can be used eye- or waist-level!) and the X100/X10 from Fuji.

An OVF is the only feature I really, truly miss on my Optio A40.

And I think Pentax is too busy chasing the tourist cheapie camera market to pay any attention to building a "pro-level" G-series competitor. I mean, even the Q doesn't have an OVF.

09-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
Banned

Nex-7 with 2.4M dot OLED electronic viewfinder

If Pentax came out with a Nex-7 clone I would buy it.

09-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If Pentax came out with a Nex-7 clone I would buy it.
Okay, diverging from the mainstream of the day's symposium here, but does that seriously say twenty-four megapixels? That's more than a 5D Mk II!

That's almost a tenth of what I can get out of my 4x5 on a fair-to-middling scanner at medium resolution!
09-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The Q has a viewfinder, but it's optional. ($799 makes it a more of a mini DSLR too, but still it's little.) Honestly this is one of the reasons I can't get into most cheap digital pocket cameras these days. The lack of one drives me nuts. I don't like using a monitor to make my shot. It is a huge waste of battery power. I've never used the Live View on my digitals. I really like looking through a view finder.

09-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Okay, diverging from the mainstream of the day's symposium here, but does that seriously say twenty-four megapixels? That's more than a 5D Mk II!

That's almost a tenth of what I can get out of my 4x5 on a fair-to-middling scanner at medium resolution!
Yes, it is Sony's newest aps-c sensor and the same one that is in the soon to be released SLT A77.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817858-REG/Sony_SLT_A77V_SLT_A77_Digital_Camera_Body.html
09-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My friend picked up a S95 once, and brought the camera right to his eye. He quickly realized what was wrong after thinking "why is the damn thing so bright".

I appreciate the viewfinder.
09-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Site Supporter

As far as I'm concerned, after Oct 1 acquisition by Ricoh, the Optio line can be dropped in favor of the GRD and GXR line. Maybe put the GRD sensor in a WG-2 and call it good.
09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
As far as I'm concerned, after Oct 1 acquisition by Ricoh, the Optio line can be dropped in favor of the GRD and GXR line. Maybe put the GRD sensor in a WG-2 and call it good.
I love my GRD3, just wish it was stabilised and viewfindered, but I'm getting better with it.
09-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Why not make an electronic viewfinder on DSLRs but with the new hi res screens AND something
around 1"
Because it would no longer be a reflex camera, and hence no longer a DSLR.
09-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Sony still calls their Live-view interchangeable-lens A33 A55 and A77 cameras "DSLR", even though the pellicle mirror in the camera only feeds light to the AF sensor and light meter.

And on that point, nobody stops the marketing droids from places like Ritz and Penn when they apply the DSLR label to any interchangeable lens digital, including Olympus Pen, Sony NEX, Samsung NX and even Leica M9s!
09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
True - but such a thing exists in the Panasonic G1 and 2 and GH1 and 2 ... if you don't mind lack of in-body image stabilisation and a self-doubting styling -- the fake pentaprism hump!
09-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That others may be content blithely to wallow in the figurative pig sh!t of their own ignorance is hardly a compelling case for joining them.

I prefer to try to live up to Rule 13.