Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Where have all the viewfinders gone?

Does anybody nowadays make and sell a compact digital camera with a viewfinder, so that you can get a good view, and brace it against your head ? The same question applies, more strongly if anything, to camcorders.

This is not specifically a Pentax question, but as I have several old Optios with viewfinders, and will probably confine my future buying to Ebay, because of the lack of viewfinders in retail stores, this forum is a way of learning whether I am alone in my opinion.

06-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess the majority of consumers are getting used to the LCD by now. Last time I handed over my DSLR, that lady was staring at the LCD and wonder why there was nothing. When I instructed her looking through the viewfinder, she thought I was an idiot.
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I agree that using a cam without one is just about useless in bright sun, then again the
DSLR viewfinders are not what they used to be.
Why not make an electronic viewfinder on DSLRs but with the new hi res screens AND something
around 1" .Like looking out of a window, with all the info on screen and zoom.
My Oly C-8080 has a good one and it is old tech, but Ican see what the pic is going to look like
DOF, white balance and all.
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both Leica & Panasonic make an optional digital viewfinder for their D-lux & LX models. They cost >$150 though.

06-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I guess the majority of consumers are getting used to the LCD by now. Last time I handed over my DSLR, that lady was staring at the LCD and wonder why there was nothing. When I instructed her looking through the viewfinder, she thought I was an idiot.
HAHAHA. Same thing happened to me at a party!
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by afrbrown Quote
Does anybody nowadays make and sell a compact digital camera with a viewfinder, so that you can get a good view, and brace it against your head ? The same question applies, more strongly if anything, to camcorders.

This is not specifically a Pentax question, but as I have several old Optios with viewfinders, and will probably confine my future buying to Ebay, because of the lack of viewfinders in retail stores, this forum is a way of learning whether I am alone in my opinion.
Is Fuji X100 compact enough for you? Or are you looking for something smaller? Super compacts used to have viewfinders, but a viewfinder takes significant space, so most compacts dropped them to shrink size.
06-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Is Fuji X100 compact enough for you? Or are you looking for something smaller? Super compacts used to have viewfinders, but a viewfinder takes significant space, so most compacts dropped them to shrink size.
And more importantly, cost. If the product can be sold for the same price with less feature(s), the manufacturer won't hesitate to.

06-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Yashica Electro 35 Tele-wide viewfinder for my Olympus XZ-1 P&S (on that bay place). Works great for outdoors in bright sun, but I often also use it indoors just for shooting technique.

Won't work close-up or macro, of course.

Quite happy with it for the pocket change it cost. I agree a VF is more than worthwhile for any P&S.

07-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I dragged out my now elderly Olympus C760uz the other day, after a conversation at the Olympus stand at PMA Sydney, and indeed, they were right... the older cams had optical, *not* electronic viewfinders. No wonder I liked it so much. Still do.

QuoteOriginally posted by afrbrown Quote
Does anybody nowadays make and sell a compact digital camera with a viewfinder, so that you can get a good view, and brace it against your head ?
These days you are down to the X100, M9, and Canon G series and Nikon P7000. Or a bridge camera like X90, FZ40/100 etc

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-01-2011 at 05:40 PM.
07-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #10

No current Optios with a viewfinder, but Canon makes the A1200 that has a optical VF (a 2011 model, and I own one).
07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G12 has an optical viewfinder also and the nx10 has a evf. The nx10 evf is not real high res., but good for framing and AF point selection (and info) good enough for what it is anyway.
07-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aafuss Quote
No current Optios with a viewfinder, but Canon makes the A1200 that has a optical VF (a 2011 model, and I own one).
Is it any good?
07-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When they left out the viewfinder, they made "P&S" a true/realistic feature when shooting in bright sunlight

When i'm shooting with the H90 outside with no shade in sight, i really do just point and shoot.
07-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

More expensive camcorders tend to have an electronic viewfinder it seems.

My old Canon P&S had an optical viewfinder, it was useless. It never showed what ended up on the photo, and if the scene was straight in the viewfinder it was tilted on the photo.
07-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Cheap hack: Make your own 'sportsfinder'. Be the first on your block!

Back in the day, some 'press' and box cams and folders had a fold-up wire frame. Peer through it and hope. No good for image edges, but if you kept the subject fairly centered, you got a shot.