07-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Optio WG-1 GPS vs the rests

see links...

2011年夏:防水・耐衝撃デジカメ6機種の水中実写サンプル集 - デジカメWatch

08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here's another comparison test group:
Underwater cameras test 2011 - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Unfortunately, the wg-1 pretty much came out the bottom of the bunch. And I had just decided to upgrade to one...
08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I didn't read through all the tst. What I will say is this : my wife has a W80, my brother-in-law a W90, and they are as fine a compact as you'll find. The Iq is excellent, the mnues are logical and simple, exposure is great, white balance is great, the ergonomics are excellent, the green button is a grat way to change some settings, and they perform well undersater.

I have seen other tests trashing the Olympus and Fuji models. I have handled them and hated how they were made. The Pentax models have won many awards in hiking magazines and outdoors sports reviews. They are made to take pictures in tough conditions. So I can recommend them.
08-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #4

The menus of the option W series are really well made.
My sister-in law bought a W60 for her nephew some years ago, when he was only 4 years old (was a good compromise to have a rugged compact, because the parents could use it as well).
He was able to easily use the different mode even if he could barely read the texts, just because of the instinctive position of the items and the clear pictograms.
He was like "oh, I want to take a picture of something moving, I must choose the mode with the guy running. I want to take a picture of this bee, I must use the flower mode".

Seriously, for regular users, the IQ is less important that the ergonomics of the camera, and Pentax definitely has an advantage on this. Which consumer user would spend over 20 seconds to change the mode of the camera ?

The other features are more or less the same amongst all brands : rugged, water sealed, and compact...

09-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I didn't read through all the tst. What I will say is this : my wife has a W80, my brother-in-law a W90, and they are as fine a compact as you'll find. The Iq is excellent, the mnues are logical and simple, exposure is great, white balance is great, the ergonomics are excellent, the green button is a grat way to change some settings, and they perform well undersater.

I have seen other tests trashing the Olympus and Fuji models. I have handled them and hated how they were made. The Pentax models have won many awards in hiking magazines and outdoors sports reviews. They are made to take pictures in tough conditions. So I can recommend them.
But how well do the do when they go through one end of a Gator and out the other.
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about going up against a gator but it sure did an excellent job in choppy and murky water in Maui last month. Glad I had this rugged little cam with me.

09-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
The results are the same as in dpreview's overview of this year's offerings. Hopefully, the future versions of the W series will be more competitive.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZEPsikopat Quote
Seriously, for regular users, the IQ is less important that the ergonomics of the camera, and Pentax definitely has an advantage on this. Which consumer user would spend over 20 seconds to change the mode of the camera ?
I don't know why you think the other cameras are harder to use. It is very easy to change the mode of the Lumix TS3 - select Mode button, then Scene, and then you can select the pictogram for the mode you want to use out of the total of 26 (it shows 18 on a screen). The TS3 also has a dedicated button for video recording which the WG-1 is lacking. Sadly, Pentax just has a poor offering in this segment.

Lumix TS3 sample - click it for larger size and shooting info: