Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Its getting a bit weird here and now the question becomes one of how to judge based on "what is a point n shoot"? Additionally, the winner of this competition will be faced with the "point n shoot" camera competition rules decision. The general rules that have been used since competition #33 discussions worked well enuff until today. Rules are made to level the field. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see any camera based superiority in any of the images submitted by those with a 'questionable camera'. If you choose to remove your images it must be based on your personal judgement. Quite frankly that is how i judge the winner.... 90% is a personal decision based on the photographers image that best represents the theme. The fun factor (for me) is to attempt to capture the essence of the theme. I have to step outside my routine and try something new and that is very challenging and entertaining. I hope future competitions will continue to be the same.

Last edited by ivoire; 09-27-2011 at 04:51 PM.
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Well, as you know, I had doubts about submitting the X100 shot. I personally dont think it had a prayer of winning, even though in theory it has better specs, but that, for me, ultimately, wasnt the point. You may have noticed I have replaced it with a shot off my G11 instead, which I have no issues about, even though it has manual controls.

Just as an FYI to those who *are* concerned: I use basic controls, mostly shooting as P&S, with my F550 (and in the past with the G11) and my GRD3. Its rare that I shoot RAW on any of my RAW capable P&S, though I do with the GRD. No real advantage, IMO. The JPGs coming off these cameras are decent and acceptable to me, even the GRD.

[edit] I am seriously considering buying a really basic Pentax P&S and only using that for this competition. They are dead cheap so why not... (although right now I have an F200EXR on the way)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-27-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: additional comment
09-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Hi to everyone, and humble apologies.
I certainly didn't intend to open Pandora's Box regarding the rules, and my post was not critical of any of the entries.
Kyteflyer's comment
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Not sure whether the X100 shot is acceptable. It overlaps two categories... APS sensor, but compact digital rangefinder. I'll submit something else if not OK.
set the ball rolling, followed by Barolndla's entry with the Pentax Q.
These forced Ivoire to make a decision whether to accept or reject the entries based on the current rules - which I fully accept as his right - but which places the "competition setter" in an awkward situation.

As the new boy on the block, and ignorant of the previous rules debate, I was simply trying to highlight that the P&S Competitions are more fun competitions which are intended to make the entrants create images which fit a theme while getting the best out of the camera - whatever its limitations - and improve their personal skills. The competitions are not about how good your camera is, or how many manual adjustments it allows you to make, or how much post processing you can do.

The main thrust of my post was that I don't believe that either Kyteflyer or Barondla should have to ask if their cameras are acceptable and Ivoire (in this competition) shouldn't have to make the decision whether to accept or reject their entries. If the rules were simple and clear then it becomes a no-brainer for the entrants. They just know whether their photograph is eligible or not.

Meanwhile it seems I inadvertently started World War 3. For that I humbly apologize. This forum is about the spirit of friendly competition and having fun participating...
09-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Meanwhile it seems I inadvertently started World War 3. For that I humbly apologize. This forum is about the spirit of friendly competition and having fun participating...
Nooooo! Not WW3 at all. I was seriously in doubt, because of the overlap of two categories. I don't have any problem with withdrawing that shot, it was my decision to do so.

Anyway, apparently the war has moved to another thread In the meantime my F200EXR came today and its a true P&S as far as I am concerned, although there are manual controls buried in the submenus. Too far down to bother, IMO.

Problem is, I believe I have been sold a second hand item rather than new, even though I paid for a new camera, so it is probably going back to where it came from. Waiting to hear from the company even now. So far they have ignored my emails. I'm asking for a new camera, or a refund... wonder which way *that* will go.

09-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm fine with the 'winner gets to make the rules' rule as bending them is not a problem. I suspect we may see a few changes. The current participants consistently competed in a friendly manner in the past and i doubt a few bumps in the road will change that.
09-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #51
Banned

Photos: Albums
FWIW: I was only interested in the academic discussion on what is a P&S - didn't mean that any of the entries should be withdrawn or anything.
09-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
FWIW: I was only interested in the academic discussion on what is a P&S - didn't mean that any of the entries should be withdrawn or anything.
Indeed, the academic discussion I find engaging as well...and we can use the other thread for that without stepping on anyone's toes or urinating in anyone's corn flakes.

09-28-2011, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Is this how people relax and have fun?
09-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #54
Veteran Member

deleted. over it.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-29-2011 at 12:00 AM.
09-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
In the meantime my F200EXR came today
Congratulations and I hope you get the problems with the supplier sorted. I am most interested in the sensor on the F200EXR and the way it can shift to high sensitivity/low noise mode in low light conditions and to a high dynamic range mode for high contrast shots. Will be very keen to see some entries showing off what it can do, and to hear your opinion of this camera. On paper it looks marvelous for a compact.
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #56
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Is this how people relax and have fun?
A photo of this thread should now win the contest - any camera should do
09-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Congratulations and I hope you get the problems with the supplier sorted. I am most interested in the sensor on the F200EXR and the way it can shift to high sensitivity/low noise mode in low light conditions and to a high dynamic range mode for high contrast shots. Will be very keen to see some entries showing off what it can do, and to hear your opinion of this camera. On paper it looks marvelous for a compact.
Well, no joy from me, I returned it today, for a refund, and will keep using my F550EXR.

Sorry, Anton :-/
09-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Having Fun

My third entry, taken with Pentax X90

PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Anton Magus; 07-11-2016 at 08:59 AM.
09-30-2011, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

My third entry, taken with Pentax X90

I can't see it :-/
09-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I inserted an image from my minus.com account using their direct link code
HTML Code:
[img]http://k.minus.com/jbhTFFtc1kHJiG.jpg[/img]
It shows fine on my pc but not on others?
Can anyone help, please

OK. I have worked it out. If you have an account with minus.com, the "direct link" they give you has a character before minus.com.
In my case it was k.minus.com/ plus code for your picture.jpg
If you just delete this character "k." to show only the "minus.com" without the prefix letter, as below, then it works fine.

So
HTML Code:
[img]http://minus.com/jbhTFFtc1kHJiG.jpg[/img]
works fine.

Obviously a glitch in their system.

Last edited by Anton Magus; 09-30-2011 at 07:19 AM.