Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
So you would want to eliminate anyone who doesn't use a P&S camera casually?!
No, I wouldn't want to. I was always happy with the "no SLR, have fun!" rules. I certainly didn't feel strongly enough about it to bother bringing it up before. Since I didn't own a digital compact and never had the free time to go out and shoot specifically for a certain theme I always had to work from my back stash of film anyway. Never thought to consider that others had an "unfair advantage", though. I had fun my way and felt they should be free to have fun their way.

12-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
So you would want to eliminate anyone who doesn't use a P&S camera casually?!

That is brilliant! We could call it the "personal consumption" contest and every participant would judge their own photos and award their own prizes.
I'm glad you answered, I tried to make my reply come off in a nice way and
was having a problem. Yes, let's eliminate all the newbies that don't have a
vast backlog of photos to draw from...
12-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's nice to be able to use archive photos...it's a way to go back and look at them since I rarely print many anymore. But, I do like the "assignment" aspect also, as it's an impetus to bring my camera(s) with me and shoot more, whether for the contest or just personal consumption. Also, seeing how I can approach a certain theme, while being restricted to a compact camera and its limitations.
12-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
I'm glad you answered, I tried to make my reply come off in a nice way and
was having a problem. Yes, let's eliminate all the newbies that don't have a
vast backlog of photos to draw from...
I have no such idea in mind and I hope that it is clear that I don't now and never did in the past.

One thing that has become clear to me from this thread is that there are way too many people who take the contests way too damned seriously. I never took them seriously enough to bring up my thoughts on the subject before, certainly not enough to think that my opinions or concerns should be used to place restrictions on the photographic activities of others....which is what this entire thread has been, sadly enough.

12-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm in favor of this one rule

8. Winner will set up and judge next contest.

Once the winner does so, i would enter or not
Actually... I like that. Don't like the current set of rules? Dopn't go in the contest. Easy.

I wouldn't make this Pentax-brand specific, you'd sideline a number of contestants.
True. It would sideline me for some time until...
12-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
To throw a new curve ball into the discussion:

I always was of the opinion that only photos pulled from one's pre-existing stash should be allowed in the contests, rather than photos taken specifically for the purpose of entering after the theme had been announced.
I nearly always do that, anyway, its a rare occasion where I am able to be so specific in my shooting (or even sufficiently motivated, come to think of it, for this comp), but I almost always have *something* in the archives. If I don't, I don't enter.
12-29-2011, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I always was of the opinion that only photos pulled from one's pre-existing stash should be allowed in the contests, rather than photos taken specifically for the purpose of entering after the theme had been announced.
Its a competition so it should be both. I seem to remember one PnS comp where the rule was no photos over 6months old.

Once again, 8. Winner will set up and judge next contest. Thats the 'prize' the winner earns.

12-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #263
Pentaxian

Once again, 8. Winner will set up and judge next contest. Thats the 'prize' the winner earns.
Ivoire, I like it. Simple, elegant, no heartburn.
12-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #264
Pentaxian

Its a competition so it should be both. I seem to remember one PnS comp where the rule was no photos over 6months old.

Great idea!

But er hm... Isn't this exactly how it has always been?
12-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Great idea!

Now Bart, you didn't have to bring that up, did you? We didn't waste 18 pages
just to get back to square 1.
12-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Great idea!

Bart, Yes! the circle is now complete!
12-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #267
Veteran Member

We didn't waste 18 pages just to get back to square 1.
O yes we did. It's a fine example of a Human Game, which I define as any activity by which we organize and occupy our time when not doing anything productive. Much time was organized and occupied; much bandwidth and cognition was expended; and it probably ain't over yet. At least soccer hooligans aren't involved.
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #268
Pentaxian

Well, I for one love circles.
They give a sense of completeness
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
O yes we did. It's a fine example of a Human Game, which I define as any activity by which we organize and occupy our time when not doing anything productive. Much time was organized and occupied; much bandwidth and cognition was expended; and it probably ain't over yet. At least soccer hooligans aren't involved.
It has indeed been an exercise worthy of any group of mid-level government bureaucrats, hasn't it?
12-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It has indeed been an exercise worthy of any group of mid-level government bureaucrats, hasn't it?
I was thinking more of RPG gamemasters, minus the pizzas.