Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes, maybe I was too harsh. I don't think ISO 3200 can match K-5 et al, but I guess it's better than m43. I'm curious how dxo measures it.

10-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What I'm trying to argue here, is that there is still room for a newcomer that manages to combine (1) a semi-pro body with an attractive rangefinder-like look (like the NEX-7), (2) APS-C size sensor with very good high iso performance and (3) some very attractive compact lenses.
That's probably going to be Fuji. Stay tuned. (Unless Canon will drop some bomb first).
10-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax cannot do DSLR well, and their P&S are terrible. What makes you believe they could do miracle with mirrorless? Maybe I will try the Q someday, when their price tags start to make sense.
10-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was talking about the NEX-7, not the NEX you owned

The NEX-7 is a very different beast, a photographer's camera. At least that's the impression I get e.g. from reading Sony NEX-7 First Impressions
Sorry, it's the same. A friend of mine is loving his NEX-7. He also owns my old NEX. With the new NEX it still looks really very silly (and unprofessionalČ) to stare at the back LCD, with arms stretched and eyes squinted. The sillyness only increases when attaching larger lenses. Doing that with mouth open is a bonus. And carrying around a camerabag for the lenses, whilst still claiming there's a huge size/mobility advantage over a DSLR, doubles the points.

The topic says: "I hope Pentax does mirrorless right." And my opinion is, that it can't be done right at all. Because nothing beats a OVF in resolution and speed. Again, maybe a extremely good EVF.

10-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
With the new NEX it still looks really very silly (and unprofessionalČ) to stare at the back LCD, with arms stretched and eyes squinted.
Did you really miss that the NEX-7 has a class-leading EVF?

Luminous Landscape writes:

This isn't just any old EVF though, it's Sony's brand-new 2.4 million picture element OLED viewfinder. As I'll be reporting elsewhere, this is actually preferable to the small and dim optical finders that one finds on consumer grade DSLRs, and is only surpassed in viewing effectiveness by the large and bright optical viewfinders on full frame DSLRs.

I had an opportunity to compare the new Sony OLED EVF (found on the NEX-7 as well as the A65 and A77) against that of a Canon 7D. The EVF did indeed gave a larger image, and held up quite well in bright light. But, the contrast isn't natural, and the shadows block up. In low light there is an advantage though, and indeed this EVF may be preferable to an optical viewfinder in low light situations.
10-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Site Supporter

A weather-resistant G1 type with Kodak 4:3 sensor - that was my wish for Pentax. I've given up on that one, but wish I could make one myself! I'd even take the Oly E500's 8Mpxl sensor, loved the images that camera produced when I was testing cams in '08.. those sensors should come pretty cheaply nowadays
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you really miss that the NEX-7 has a class-leading EVF?

Luminous Landscape writes:

This isn't just any old EVF though, it's Sony's brand-new 2.4 million picture element OLED viewfinder. As I'll be reporting elsewhere, this is actually preferable to the small and dim optical finders that one finds on consumer grade DSLRs, and is only surpassed in viewing effectiveness by the large and bright optical viewfinders on full frame DSLRs.

I had an opportunity to compare the new Sony OLED EVF (found on the NEX-7 as well as the A65 and A77) against that of a Canon 7D. The EVF did indeed gave a larger image, and held up quite well in bright light. But, the contrast isn't natural, and the shadows block up. In low light there is an advantage though, and indeed this EVF may be preferable to an optical viewfinder in low light situations.
Nope, look closer at my post. The EVF is there... It's just not very good compared to a OVF. No matter how many pixels an EVF has, the resolution can never surpass the real actual image in a OVF. Same goes for speed. Yes, the Sony's EVF is fast, but a critical eye sees lag. And not a little of it too.
10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nope, look closer at my post. The EVF is there... It's just not very good compared to a OVF. No matter how many pixels an EVF has, the resolution can never surpass the real actual image in a OVF. Same goes for speed. Yes, the Sony's EVF is fast, but a critical eye sees lag. And not a little of it too.
You wrote about silly-looking shooters with stretched arms, hence my comment...

Anyway, personally I prefer an OVF and agree with your points (and my next camera will be the K-5 or its successor rather than a MILC)

But I still think Pentax needs a large sensor mirrorless, hence my thread.

10-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A friend of mine is loving his NEX-7.
Forgot to ask: where did your friend get a nex-7? I thought it hadn't even been released in Japan yet?