Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not have a Pentax P&S contest?

It would be neat to see what people can do with their P&S cameras versus slrs! Could get the thread count up on this forum.
thanks
barondla

12-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A very interesting suggestion, altho I suspect not that many has Pentax P&S as their pocket cam, an open P&S contest on the other hand
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

I may be completely wrong, but I'm thinking the P&S membership might be 'small', and not as many enthusiasts as you get with D-SLR ? With the Weekly challenges, there's a community of thousands of members here, but it's mostly only a few dozen of the same members who post in most of the weekly challenges. With there being a much smaller community of P&S members, there may not be a lot of P&S entries.

I myself have a Casio P&S, but it does use a Pentax Lens...!!! I have hundreds of shots with it, so I'd be happy to participate if that camera were to be allowed (w/its Pentax lens).
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe it could be every three months instead of monthly. Give people a little more time to prepare. I wouldn't have a problem letting Casio cameras with Pentax lens enter. Hook people with P&S on the website and they could become Pentaxians later! Just a thought. Would actually have to borrow a Pentax P&S to enter.
thanks
barondla

12-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like an open idea

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
A very interesting suggestion, altho I suspect not that many has Pentax P&S as their pocket cam, an open P&S contest on the other hand
I like an open idea like this. But maybe that is because I don't own a p&s Pentax, but a couple other brand p&s.
12-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It would be neat to see what people can do with their P&S cameras versus slrs! Could get the thread count up on this forum.
thanks
barondla
Great idea! I'm ready, I'll check that my Optio WPi is ready too!
12-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll join the challenge. My IQZoom 120 SW is just sitting there saying "I'm lonely - put a film in me and go light for a change! I don't weigh as much as the grip on your k10d!"

12-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'll join the challenge. My IQZoom 120 SW is just sitting there saying "I'm lonely - put a film in me and go light for a change! I don't weigh as much as the grip on your k10d!"
Yep, I hear that same thing. I have it coming from all around me. Hey, I just had a refurbished fuji f20 converted into an IR only camera. Pretty cool to be able to do IR hand held. I went out and played with it last weekend. It was fun. I was missing a dslr image quality, but for IR I'm hoping there is more leeway? Lighter than the k10d grip...that is funny and so true!
12-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can start your own challenge or game type thing and see what you get for response. Good luck
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

What constitutes a P&S? Would a Sony DSC-F707 qualify? If this were an open contest, I'd play. But if it were Pentax only, I'd have to pass because my other digitals are made by Sony.
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mo says go!

Mo okayed the P&S contest. He is fine with non Pentax cameras. As long as we host it. Just realized I don't know how to host a contest. What do we do? Make up the rules and have everyone post a picture to the proper thread in this forum? Need advice here.
My ideas for rules would be:
1. Enter 1 picture taken with ANY BRAND non slr camera.
2. No name on image - is this possible fo us to do? How would we know who took it later? Maybe we will put the name and camera brand, and model for all to see.
3. Any subject - keep it decent though.
4. Keep post sizes same as dslr contest or smaller.
Any ideas or help?
thanks
barondla
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Probably best to keep it simple

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Mo okayed the P&S contest. He is fine with non Pentax cameras. As long as we host it. Just realized I don't know how to host a contest. What do we do? Make up the rules and have everyone post a picture to the proper thread in this forum? Need advice here.
My ideas for rules would be:
1. Enter 1 picture taken with ANY BRAND non slr camera.
2. No name on image - is this possible fo us to do? How would we know who took it later? Maybe we will put the name and camera brand, and model for all to see.
3. Any subject - keep it decent though.
4. Keep post sizes same as dslr contest or smaller.
Any ideas or help?
thanks
barondla
It is probably best to keep it simple. It really doesn't matter if we see the name of the photographer. Is this going to be a voting type challenge? Or is whoever does the hosting the one who picks their favorite? I would suggest the later, just to keep it simple at first and see how the submissions go.
If it is an open challenge for any brand p&s, then it doesn't matter what kind of camera it was taken with. It might be a nice note to add to the submission though.
Sounds like fun to me!
12-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
and
Veteran Member

One thing that imo would make such a contest less interesting is if ppl just digged up their 1-3+ year old P&S shots from before they went dSLR.

An interesting aspect is to go back to playing with your old cam and see what u can do with it now.

I tried my old V1 today just for 1 still life shot. The great thing about it is that it has a hot shoe. The bad thing is the screen and battery life, and controls to a certain degree. you have to turn the mode dial to see the picture you just took, and if you do the lens will retract. its also really slow to zoom into pictures in playback mode. Oh well it is pretty old in terms of technology advances in P&S.

another thing is powerfull photoshop techniques that I would never have dreamed of using back then. I never did any PP untill I got a dSLR.

I can see why ppl are interested in the new canon G9 since it has a hot shoe and RAW...

12-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

And, once again a pretty extraordinary execution producing something that could have otherwise been a very ordinary picture ... say, if I had taken it. I'm learning from you!
12-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Even though I have many P&S camera's one of them being a pentax, I will not be participating in any contest, for the following reasons.

This is the Pentax Forum, not the Pentax and every other camera Forum.

I dont feel the need to compete against others and have my work judged by who knows who. I am the best judge of my work.