Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Kid friendly camera

I'am looking for a kid freindly camera my granddaughter is 3 and is crazy about my camera would like to find a camera for chrismas some one told me they have some that are water prof and if they drop them it's ok if anyone know's of a good little camera to start her of please post it

thanks Pat

10-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Disney had some, V Tech has some, I'm sure there are others. I went thru the same thing several years ago with my grandson. I ended up just getting a used Concord
( panasonic rebadge ) and told him to be careful and not drop it. It still works today, although he's moved on to my K10D with a super zoom
10-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

Just have a look at:

'Compact Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

For a 3 year old a Fujifilm FinePix XP30 should be enough.
10-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank's

10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another one for a 3 year old: Barbie Cam. Its a Barbie doll, with a video camera (if she wants something like a camera to take videos instead of photos)

Video Girl - Home - Barbie.com
10-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Three year old doesn't mean 'simple'!

If the kid is interested in cameras, she doesn't need it to look like something else. Kids learn things faster and more completely than any of us. I remember how sharp I felt as a kid, and am aware that I'll never be that sharp again.

Just get her a camera. If you see her a lot so you can teach her what to do, and can afford it, consider getting her an early dSLR. If she is interested in yours, feed that interest. A k200d would be good - it's the K10d in a smaller, simpler body - with the weather seals. A three year old is more than old enough to know that you have to be careful with some things, but I'd perhaps insure it just in case. Stick a cheap lens on it and you're away, and as she gets older she can borrow your lenses - and when she is a lot older, you can borrow hers

That said, Live View is great for smaller kids. A three year old could use a viewfinder though. My (only just) two year old took this with some help from me -she saw this car and said "Daddy take a picture of that one" - but instead she sat on my knee, aimed the camera herself using live view, and pressed the shutter herself.

10-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My first camera at not much older than her was a 620 folder so don't underestimate what she can handle as pointed out above. some of the early dslr with a kit lens wouldn't cost much different than a p/s and give her way more room to learn while being a hell of a lot more automated than my first camera
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everone for your input

10-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Kids destroy everything they touch. A K1000 is the obvious answer.

Seriously though, a cheap point and shoot should do. Put it on auto and let her go nuts with it. A DSLR or expensive point and shoot is insanity for a three year old unless you have money to burn, in which case I know a certain 38 year old that's asking Santa for a K-5.
10-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
A k200d would be good - it's the K10d in a smaller, simpler body - with the weather seals. A three year old is more than old enough to know that you have to be careful with some things, but I'd perhaps insure it just in case. Stick a cheap lens on it and you're away, and as she gets older she can borrow your lenses - and when she is a lot older, you can borrow hers
I'll throw in a vote for the K200D. It's a solid body and they can be found for <$300 at this point. I let me 4 year-old use one this past summer, you can check out this thread for some of the results.

Here's a few pictures of him in action:

And my younger son at 20 months-old getting ready to take over.

10-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If ever a photo deserved to go viral, it is that last one.