Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter

How did the CoolPix work out? I ask because, while Nikon's DSLRs have always been good, I can't say that I've been impressed with any of their point and shoots for years. Same goes for Olympus and, regretably, Pentax. I hope that changes under Ricoh's stewardship.

12-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
How did the CoolPix work out?
My mate absolutely loves it but hasn't yet deigned to show me any of the results.
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I forget which Coolpix I got back in 2009, but I thought the IQ was lousy. Out Fuji had expired and I needed something to document our eldest child's HS graduation. I think it went back to Costco that very week since it faired so poorly on such an important milestone.
12-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
I forget which Coolpix I got back in 2009, but I thought the IQ was lousy. Out Fuji had expired and I needed something to document our eldest child's HS graduation. I think it went back to Costco that very week since it faired so poorly on such an important milestone.
Neither are cheap, but for bang for the $ the Olympus XZ-1 10MP Digital Camera with f1.8 Lens is hard to beat (around $350 on ebay) and if you have the $s, the Fuji X10 looks like the current winner

12-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Can't say I'd recommend a wg-1. I hate mine. i use my old optio w60 more. The optio w80 was a bit worse than the w60 and the wg-1 is just... ick.
12-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I think the XZ-1 is just brilliant. Easy to use and understand without having to tote a manual about with you, and just works. The IQ is fantastic. Its also fast. I managed to shoot a pelican in flight, which I have never managed before, with any other of my cameras.
12-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think the XZ-1 is just brilliant. Easy to use and understand without having to tote a manual about with you, and just works. The IQ is fantastic. Its also fast. I managed to shoot a pelican in flight, which I have never managed before, with any other of my cameras.
Kyteflyer, can you post that image??? I'm still considering the XZ-1 as i found one for $350
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #23

Ivoire, I was going to get a Canon S95, but will hold out for the XZ1. The
Zuiko f1.8 lens is simply delicious. Check out this flickr group:

Flickr: Olympus XZ-1

love some of the low light pix

I still want the Fuji X10, too, first things first. Both cams shoot square, which
is a big plus with me.

@Kyteflyer, I'd like to see the pelican in flight (PIF, lol) pic, too.

Last edited by chubasco; 12-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.
12-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Chubasco, checked out many of the pics from the Oly, but the idea of getting BIFs is intriguing. I should just leave the XZ-1 alone as I;m developing CBA. Now have a K5, Oly EPL-2 with 3 lenses, Samsung Tl350 and a Finepix F10 converted to infrared. I also have the EVF for the OLY that also works on the XZ-1. I'm struggling to wait and see what Fuji comes out with next as it may change my direction. The moneymaking aspect of my K5 work has died and I'm not sure I need a K5 any longer as the EPL-2 with a 7mm lens would enable me to do the same work I was doing with the K5. Sale of my Pentax gear would give me quite a bit of travel money and a quality point n shoot would be sooooo useful

Last edited by ivoire; 12-25-2011 at 10:24 PM.
12-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Kyteflyer, can you post that image??? I'm still considering the XZ-1 as i found one for $350
Sure, its at my flickr but heres the share. Its not the full shot, is resized down.

Here's a 100% crop. I've applied 1 level of sharpening in both pix

12-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

.. I should just leave the XZ-1 alone as I;m developing CBA. ...
If you can get it for $350, do so, never mind the CBA (look at my list, and thats incomplete!). Mine cost $460. I couldnt really afford it but I have zero regrets about buying.
12-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
If you can get it for $350, do so, never mind the CBA (look at my list, and thats incomplete!). Mine cost $460. I couldnt really afford it but I have zero regrets about buying.
Thanks for the post. That's impressive for a PnS. I'm in that 'should i change systems/what do i need/want' stage. I think i'm very close to selling the K5. I used it routinely when it was producing income and find the Oly EPL-2 will work for that. Most of my recent pics are from PnS cameras. I may be doing a trip to south Africa or Australia or both in 2012 and my Pentax gear would net me enuff for one of the trips. decisions, decisions
12-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Thanks for the post. That's impressive for a PnS. I'm in that 'should i change systems/what do i need/want' stage. I think i'm very close to selling the K5. I used it routinely when it was producing income and find the Oly EPL-2 will work for that. Most of my recent pics are from PnS cameras. I may be doing a trip to south Africa or Australia or both in 2012 and my Pentax gear would net me enuff for one of the trips. decisions, decisions
I've been going through that "should I sell it" thing, with the K-5 and with the X100. I took a break and really have only been using the Ricoh GRD3 most of the time for the past few months. That break has been worthwhile, because I have come back to the K-5 with a new appreciation of what I can do with it. I had been feeling like I couldnt manage, shouldnt have it, too much money etc... but now I feel just fine.

I guess my advice to you is... shoot with a compact for a few months and just remember the K-5 is there when you need it. I'm contemplating the Oly mft system as well, but only the K-5 will do for a lot of what I want at the moment so... I guess I am keeping it.

The nice thing about Oly is that the VF that goes with the MFT system also works with the XZ, so I will be acquiring a VF-3 with the locking mechanism. Its cheaper than VF-2, as far as I can see only because it "only" has a display of 960k dots instead of over a million.
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I have the VF2 for use with the EPL2 and like it a lot. It was pricey, but on those sunny, sun behind you, days it comes in handy. The VF2 will work well. I'm rethinking the K5 sale and will just sell off some not so much used equipment before the final decision. The f*300mm is holding me back.
12-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
Pentaxian

... and will just sell off some not so much used equipment before the final decision. The f*300mm is holding me back.
I hear ya. I am thinking I'm going to send the kit lenses off. I bought the two instead of just going for the 18-135 at the beginning which, now with the benefit of hindsight, realise I ought to have done. I don't really like shooting at the far end of the 200 anyway, and having one lens instead of 2 would be good and allow more room for the primes I prefer to use anyway.

f*300? OK, I'm sincerely envious and that would hold me back, too.