Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

f*300? OK, I'm sincerely envious and that would hold me back, too.
I took photos of the f*300 and then shot a few with it so it looks like i'm keeping the K5. After looking at the xz1 sample images i'm leaning towards getting one. the fuji x10 is on the potential list but having the vf2 for use with the epl2 and xz1, the oly seems to be the way to go. Your ricoh images on flickr looked very good also

12-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I took photos of the f*300 and then shot a few with it so it looks like i'm keeping the K5. After looking at the xz1 sample images i'm leaning towards getting one. the fuji x10 is on the potential list but having the vf2 for use with the epl2 and xz1, the oly seems to be the way to go. Your ricoh images on flickr looked very good also
The GRD is a fabulous camera but you have to be prepared for a single focal length. If you are looking for an allrounder, XZ is the go. If you want something for street, GRD can't be beat (snap focus is amazing)
12-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Coolpix is the Nikon line of P&S cams, not any specific model. Yeah, my other chose a Nikon Coolpix S4100. Seems happy with it. Leaves in a few hours for a week in NYC, waving the camera around. We'll see.
Rico - if the S4100 doesn't pan out, I'd like to tip my hat to the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS. I am a fan of always having a tiny camera with me everywhere and this is the best of the PowerShot ELPHs for a long time. For example, I had an SD1000, and an SD1400 IS, but was never satisfied with the sharpness or the low light performance of either (I always have the flash shut off), etc. But this model is really something. Note that there is now a 310, but it's not the same or even an improved version of the 300 HS.

Anyway, just in case the Nikon doesn't work out, I've had great luck with the little Canon. It's a tad bigger than the 1400 (which I loved for its smooth form - slipped into and out of any pocket and slim enough to not give itself away when pocketed - but not good enough photos), has a non-slip finish (in black), good low light performance, in my opinion, and a workable manual-ish settings menu.

And, best of all, it is selling for around $150 these days. Was over $200 just a few months ago.
12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Rico - if the S4100 doesn't pan out, I'd like to tip my hat to the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS.
Thanks for the tip. So far, me mate is extremely happy with the little booger, and I haven't even been allowed to touch it, let alone see its output. But we've been busy; that may change this week. And then I get to teach shooping...

01-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Been out enjoying the features of the samsung tl350. the sweep panorama is fun to use

01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Been out enjoying the features of the samsung tl350. the sweep panorama is fun to use
Nice. But what happened between looking at the XZ1 and the X10???
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Nice. But what happened between looking at the XZ1 and the X10???
waiting to see a price drop after CES. Have been out with the EPL2 also and using it with a 14mm prime has slowed down my desire for another PnS (although the Canon PowerShot G1 X caught my eye )

Last edited by ivoire; 01-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
01-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

My little brother gave me his panasonic zs7 after upgrading to the zs10. I took it down to the keys with me (and my waterproof pentax & my old waterproof pentax & my k-7 dslr)... I did use it out on the water a few times with wet salty hands, so it got damp without a problem, but mostly it was in my pelican case.

The zs7 did a great job and there's a waterproof housing for it for about $180... so I think I might try the waterproof housing and give up on the waterproof pentaxes.

Some pics from the zs7:

01-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

the Canon PowerShot G1 X caught my eye )
No doubt I will get that one when its available out here (and I have the money)
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Yes, am waiting for a full review of the G1x, looks like Canon wants to compete with Fuji's market position.

Cat, really like that first kayak pic.
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Yes, am waiting for a full review of the G1x, looks like Canon wants to compete with Fuji's market position.

Hands on preview at dpreview
Canon PowerShot G1 X Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

There are enough disappointments in the design to make me rethink my initial "oh wow, want it" reaction.
1) the ISO dial has gone
2) the Video button is dangerously close to the thumb grip
3) I hate having the tripod mount so close to the battery/SD card latch cover
4) No improvement in the OVF. It was rubbish in the G11-12, and its going to be rubbish here.

Not for me, I guess.
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote

Thanks - It's probably using the 12-16x zoom that camera has - zoomed in from the distance that 2nd kayak pic was at. I was pretty far ahead of everyone else when I looked back and saw the sunset silhouette. Grabbed the panasonic 'cause I knew the pentax optio wg-1 wouldn't do it justice. Didn't grab the k-7, 'cause I didn't want to twist around backwards in a kayak in salt water with a dslr to take a pic.
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Not for me, I guess.
Kyteflyer... Both the new Fuji and Canon offerings are larger than I like for a 'pocket' camera.

Heres a visual size comparaometer for any that are interested:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,187

So I just dropped $350 for a XZ1 with case, spare battery, Richard Franiec grip, Kata DF 408 case and warranty. CBA strikes again

Last edited by ivoire; 01-10-2012 at 08:53 PM.
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
Veteran Member

So I just dropped $350 for a XZ1 with case, spare battery, Richard Franiec grip, Kata DF 408 case and warranty. CBA strikes again
Congratulations!! You are going to LOVE it. It occurred to me earlier today that since getting the XZ, thats the one I use more often. I may end up relinquishing my K-5 and lenses if this keeps up.

I plan to get either the VF-3 or VF-2 viewfinder as well, for those days when the screen becomes invisible because its too bright out. and I'm going to get a different kind of grip, there are some rubbery ones at Camera Grips - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS and I think I might buy G4, with a pseudo-leather look and feel.
01-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Congratulations!! You are going to LOVE it. It occurred to me earlier today that since getting the XZ, thats the one I use more often. I may end up relinquishing my K-5 and lenses if this keeps up.

I plan to get either the VF-3 or VF-2 viewfinder as well, for those days when the screen becomes invisible because its too bright out. and I'm going to get a different kind of grip, there are some rubbery ones at Camera Grips - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS and I think I might buy G4, with a pseudo-leather look and feel.
I am slowly selling off Pentax gear. There is a VF2 on ebay for $180 or best offer, might get it for 150-160

tinkrtoy | eBay