Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cat, good call not using the K-7, but you captured the moment perfectly.

Ivoire, congrats (yeah I'm a little jealous) and hope to see your efforts with the XZ-1
in later contests!

01-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I am slowly selling off Pentax gear. There is a VF2 on ebay for $180 or best offer, might get it for 150-160
Too late. Anyway, I could not afford it just yet. Ther only reason I am considering the VF-2 is that you can add an eyecup to it. The Vf-3 has a squarish appearance and there don't seem to be any eyecups available. I'm finding light intrusion in my bridge cam VF to be a real pest in the last few months, so the VF-2 is the go... I think I'll have to buy from B&H because in australia they are just toooo expensive.

I absolutely LOVE my XZ. There's just something about Olympus colour... and I like the CCD instead of a CMOS sensor too... dont know why, but it always seems to me that the IQ off CCD is much better/sharper
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Immunogirl Quote
Thanks - It's probably using the 12-16x zoom that camera has - zoomed in from the distance that 2nd kayak pic was at. I was pretty far ahead of everyone else when I looked back and saw the sunset silhouette. Grabbed the panasonic 'cause I knew the pentax optio wg-1 wouldn't do it justice. Didn't grab the k-7, 'cause I didn't want to twist around backwards in a kayak in salt water with a dslr to take a pic.
I love the pelican pix, but then, I love pelicans. These are so sharp and clean. Is the ZS7 waterproof/resistant in and of itself?
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I love the pelican pix, but then, I love pelicans. These are so sharp and clean. Is the ZS7 waterproof/resistant in and of itself?
Pelicans are awesome.

01-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I absolutely LOVE my XZ. There's just something about Olympus colour... and I like the CCD instead of a CMOS sensor too... dont know why, but it always seems to me that the IQ off CCD is much better/sharper
The K10D's CCD sensor at iso 100 produced very clean and sharp images.

QuoteQuote:
Ivoire, congrats (yeah I'm a little jealous) and hope to see your efforts with the XZ-1
in later contests!
Thought about the X10, but already having the viewfinder for the EPL2, being able to use it with the XZ-1 and saving a few hundred sold me. If the projected snowfall doesn't hinder transport, i should see it friday.

Last edited by ivoire; 01-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kyteflyer... Both the new Fuji and Canon offerings are larger than I like for a 'pocket' camera.

Heres a visual size comparaometer for any that are interested:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

So I just dropped $350 for a XZ1 with case, spare battery, Richard Franiec grip, Kata DF 408 case and warranty. CBA strikes again
You got a nice deal on the XZ-1... I paid list for mine just before Xmas, but I don't really mind since it keeps a superb local underwater photography store (yes, a real brick&mortar shop!) in business... The package I bought included a tray/grip, strobe, focus light, and the Olympus underwater housing, for a bit under $1500 total.

I really like the camera - size, performance (esp low light), and "feel" are all great.

Jim
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The package I bought included a tray/grip, strobe, focus light, and the Olympus underwater housing, for a bit under $1500 total.
Thats a very good deal for an underwater/land setup. I remember the Nikonos days.

I'm on fixed income (all my part-time photo work disappeared in the real estate crash) so bargain hunting is necessary. I'm looking forward to receiving the XZ-1. You n Kyteflyer have been enthusiastic about its performance and that pushed me over the edge on releasing funds. We're getting the first snow of the season in chicago so i'm hoping to get some snow pics before departing for warmer weather.

01-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I've got more in my flickr XZ-1 set than any other at this stage. I remain completely enraptured with this camera.
Olympus XZ-1 - a set on Flickr
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I've got more in my flickr XZ-1 set than any other at this stage. I remain completely enraptured with this camera.
The quality of your images look great. My XZ1 arrived today and i tried the VF2 on it, works great. Temperature today was around 7 with the wind chill so i'm waiting a bit before going out for pics.
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The quality of your images look great. My XZ1 arrived today and i tried the VF2 on it, works great. Temperature today was around 7 with the wind chill so i'm waiting a bit before going out for pics.
Envy. I can't afford to buy the VF yet so I am having to make do with guesswork in very bright sunlight. Looking forward to seeing your pix.
01-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #56
Veteran Member

No, it's not. It's got an underwater housing that I think I'll suck it up & buy.

But underwater housings are also a pain in the neck.

But I've decided buying that underwater housing is cheaper than letting you guys lure me into a xz-1 & underwater housing.

I really wish someone would just make a good waterproof camera.
01-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Envy. I can't afford to buy the VF yet so I am having to make do with guesswork in very bright sunlight. Looking forward to seeing your pix.
Finally got out and shot some test pics. I'm liking this camera very much. Changing f stop with front dial is a big plus.

01-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Finally got out and shot some test pics. I'm liking this camera very much. Changing f stop with front dial is a big plus.

There ya go... I dont do much BW with it, but even that looks Olympusy. Great start, there
01-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Theres one here now... was thinking of getting one when i had the zs6 in florida but sold the camera instead
Awesome! Thanks!

Snipe set.

You should hide that link before i have competition

Last edited by Immunogirl; 01-15-2012 at 10:57 PM.
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #60
Veteran Member

There ya go... I dont do much BW with it, but even that looks Olympusy. Great start, there
I went out in a snowstorm with the xz last nite and shot a few in the 17 degree temp. camera performed so well. the set is here: