Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
ivoire thats just brill, the timing was perfect. I love how the ball colours are also captured in the movement
I was surprised by the result. Since entering the PnS competitions i've started shooting more variety and fun stuff with my cameras, K5, EPL2 and Panasonic (tho i just sold the PnS to Frission). I like the PnS simplicity so i'm getting another one. I was looking at a fuji x10 but decided on something used and very basic that still produces good images (and bought a 14mm f2.5 lens for my EPL2 with the savings). In the meantime i will most likely use my old converted to IR fuji which should be interesting

Last edited by ivoire; 11-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Panasonic LX2. ISO 200.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX2  Photo 
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Barondla, great color and framing on your 'leaves in the wind' pic
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #64
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Juggling Motion

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I was surprised by the result. Since entering the PnS competitions i've started shooting more variety and fun stuff with my cameras, K5, EPL2 and Panasonic (tho i just sold the PnS to Frission). I like the PnS simplicity so i'm getting another one. I was looking at a fuji x10 but decided on someth-ing used and very basic that still produces good images (and bought a 14mm f2.5 lens for my EPL2 with the savings). In the meantime i will most likely use my old converted to IR fuji which should be interesting
Love the juggling, ivoire photo........ this may have won you the competition. kudos!
Taking loads of photos on my new (your old) p&s. Thanks4 the great deal!

11-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THIS is where you guys were hiding from me.

WELL IT DIDN'T WORK!

I have two entries, hope to have a third before the deadline.

Taken with Pentax Optio A40, f/2.8 1/40s ISO800 with flash. The long shutter, High ISO and flash together make a half-frozen, half-motion look to the dice that I adore. This may be one of my very favorite game photos.

Taken again with Optio A40, f/2.8, 1/4s, ISO800. Driving through Silver Spring to drop off some 4x5 film to Dodge Chrome, Inc, a wetlab and print shop. I took this out my car window. I love the uniform blur of the windows and the car going by.

I have one more to take before the deadline, so keep your eyes open!
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Barondla, great color and framing on your 'leaves in the wind' pic
Agreed. Plus a very original interpretation of the theme.

Glad to see your entries, Erik.
Very different and I like them both.
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter

Been awhile since I visited this thread. But since my K20's off getting cleaned I've been using my Oly Stylus 1010 more. Here's one from my dead Fuji Finepix F700 that I think shows some motion.

1/17", f/4.6, ISO 200
11-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #68
Site Supporter

Swingin'

Olympus Stylus 1010

11-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Goin' Round 'n' Round

Olympus Stylus 1010
11-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Great entries, John!
11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Excellent pics from Unixrevolution and Jheu02.
12-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Contest closed, results tonight. Thanks! Great job all.
12-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Winners...

This is always difficult for me. I really don't feel like I can stand in judgment of what you all have done. There are some very nice photographs here and I want to thank you all.

Before looking at the results, I'll tell you how I managed to narrow so few out of the many. I asked simply for Motion. Most of you did really well on this, so I took it up a notch... and started looking for where the motion had effected or really left its mark on the frame enough to say that it is either the main subject or so qualifies the main subject as to be inescapable.

This is actually a hard thing to do sometimes with a P&S camera. (at other times it may be frustrating because of how unavoidable it is.) Either way, I used this as a filter. That does not mean that the photos that captured motion and stopped it are "bad" or do not convey motion. I was just looking for something that sort of pushed the boundary between the flat, two dimensional photographic representation and the dynamic three dimensional reality. Something that pulls the latter into the former as more than a mere suggestion. Nuff said, you all did great, and thank you for joining in.

I wanted to go back and see who had won previously. i stopped myself. Why does that matter? It would only have fouled the process. This is based on merit as I see it. If others have seen merit in the same people's work, then we have some consensus... and that should be recognized.

Third Place - ivoire
This is very cool. What else can I say? Great craft. Really well done. It is one of those things you keep coming back to, and getting entranced by. I love that his hands are only minimally in motion and yet the balls are very much in motion. Slow hands, fast balls. Different dimensions to the motion.

Second Place - jheu02
This is classic motion photography, and well executed at that. I wanted to give this a first. It was a tough decision. Highlights are moving slightly to blown out, but not to the point of completely lacking detail, and as a consequence it looks almost backlit - foamy and ethereal. Very nice. If that was not a choice it was certainly a happy accident. I might like to see more detail, but I will let what I like about this version occupy my description. The sharpness of the subject stump coupled with its placement and it's color are very striking. Very, very nice, and to have been accomplished with a point and shoot shows very strong skills.

First Place - Laurentiu Cristofor
This started as third place. I don't really tend to like tilts, and blurry night shots of unidentified flying objects usually do not hold a lot of interest for me. While that sounds harsh and critical, I don't mean it that way. What it means is that I am surprised by this. And that is something I have been increasingly looking for in photographs. That little special surprise if you will. Here the surprise for me is how this comes together as a graphic piece, and how completely and utterly motion becomes a subject. Photos like this help me step out of my overly representational rut that requires straight horizons and beautifully in focus, perfectly sharp capture. As a graphic, an impression, and a composition, I like this very much and would be proud to have taken it! Great colors, and it definitely gets motion for me. The minimalistic nature of it enhances the essence which is simply "a body in motion... at night." Some of the details in this, as rendered and represented in the motion, are very interesting... For me, "Best in Show."

Others:

Bart - love the u-turn.

GT - nice cars. The Peugeot in particular caught my interest.

samtr87 - On the drummers just a little slower shutter speed and this was a mighty contender; nicely done. it does convey motion, and it is a well executed shot.

RyanW - definitely motion. Not quite "life passing you by," but there is something like that in this. Mildly ironic. Cannot put my finger on it, but a contender for sure. Nice job.

kyteflyer - train is very good. If the boat we sharp and the landscape blurred (pan) this was a sure winner. Either way, you have captured motion very well, and I like your set very much.

Immunogirl - I didn't "get" the house shot, but I see it the river. See if you can find a way to get the shutter on that camera to drag just enough to blur the river. I am not sure what you are shooting with so this may be unfair. The car photo was a contender for sure. Nicely done.

paulh - Good action shots. The shot on the beach is one of those "the moment" shots. Love the dog shot in particular.

Chubasco - definitely motion in this, but I did not feel that was a significant subject of the photo. That said, this looks a lot like where I grew up. Without really trying to be funny, I could smell this scene more than anything else, and that is NOT a bad thing. Took me back to something simpler, that's for sure.

ChopperCharles - All good representations of motion. Great fireworks capture. Have never done this well.

barondla - a definite contender. It looks like they are falling, but rather are part of a branch. Interesting and timely.

Hope I got everyone. i certainly want to thank you all. it has been an honor.

Again, who am i to sit in judgment? In the end I picked what I liked best, and that's wholly subjective. What matters most is that you all are out there shooting and doing a great job. If this contest contributed to you getting out there and framing this subject matter up, all the better! Keep up the great work!

Thanks all and kind regards!

woof!
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Woof - thanks for a fun contest & congrats to the winners. Great job!
12-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Congrats to: Laurentiu Cristofor on a great image and win (it's an excellent graphic abstract of motion); jheu02 for 2nd place for a classic example of fluidity and to everyone who participated.

A big thanks to woof for a challenging competition, one that made me learn to juggle!

Laurentiu i'm looking forward to your next contest.