Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #1

Would you buy a Pentax Fisheye P&S?

Would you buy that camera?
I think Pentax could (and should) easily do it!

For the following reason:
1) Pentax has small, low-cost nice and trendy P&S cameras with 1/2,3" sensor;
2) Pentax is releasing a fisheye toy lens for Pentax Q that share the same sensor of cameras;
3) Lomo fisheye camera is very popular, and it's analog and a cheap one;
4) there are no digital low-cost fisheye cameras on the market.

So they have the lens and they have the body, they just need to put them together and have a nice low-cost (not cheap) fisheye P&S camera for stills and video.

I think it could be real fun, and you?

11-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fun, but too limiting as a fixed lens photography option.
Much better suited to a system like the Q, which essentially is a P&S camera with the flexibility of interchangeable lenses.
I'm sure the Q will drop in price considerably soon.
11-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
If you want a fisheye lens on a P&S, you can buy one that attaches to the end of the existing lens.
Kodak Fisheye Add-on Lens 842 7247 B&H Photo Video
11-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am seconding the no response. A P&S with the lens is again just too limiting - and I have the 10-17. Shooting with that lens all the time with nothing else would be just too limiting. The first day is fine, getting the feel of the lens and what it can and can't do - but after that it can become wearing.

11-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nah! Just add an adapter to your p&s. Raynox lists ten of them.
http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/selection/selection.html#fisheye

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-23-2011 at 08:16 AM.
11-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax fisheye, no. Holga fisheye, maybe.
11-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Would I buy it nope, I have a Holga Fisheye I got as a gift I think I've shot 3 rolls in 2 years with it. the least of any of my film cameras.
OTOH I imagine it would sell to the Holga hipster crowd who don't want to deal with film
Probably not in big enough qty to be worth while though (It would be better off as some generic chinese $60 p/s with a fisheye lens and sold for $100 right in the holga price range

11-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies.
Probably there's not much request for that object, but, just to clarify my thought, I know that a fisheye fixed lens camera is limiting, and of course you need to have at least one other camera, but it's great fun for landscape, sport, candid and street photography.
On the other hand, even if there are technically better options for fisheye photography, the advantage of keeping it simple in just a fixed lens camera is that it's easy to carry, to use and very robust and you can easily manage stills and video, using it as an action camera, a social life or a landscape one.
11-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This would only work if the camera would be dirt-cheap. I would be quickly too expensive have as a second camera. That's what interchangeable lense systems are developed for.

And what about the snap-on and screw-on fisheye lenses? Lots of point and shoots have attachments that will allow the use of filterthreads. So, to be able to sell it, the suggested camera should be even cheaper then such a attachment.
11-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It could do what Kodak did with one of its P&S cameras: a rotating assembly, like a microscope lens turret.

KODAK EASYSHARE V570 Dual Lens Digital Camera

I can see three positions for a Pentax version. Zoom on one position, FIsheye on another position, and maybe something weird on the third. Super-wide rectilinear? Portrait soft-focus tele? Ultra-macro? Pinhole?

I'd hit it.
11-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nope. I have no use for fish eye lenses let alone a camera devoted to it. I've never understood the charm some people have for fish eye lenses honestly. I don't like the look of pics done with one. They make me dizzy, and I don't mean that in a cute way. Something about fish eye pics makes me vaguely nauseous to look at them.
11-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Nope. I have no use for fish eye lenses let alone a camera devoted to it. I've never understood the charm some people have for fish eye lenses honestly. I don't like the look of pics done with one. They make me dizzy, and I don't mean that in a cute way. Something about fish eye pics makes me vaguely nauseous to look at them.
Fisheyes have their uses, even ultra-fishy ones. Some scenes can be captured by nothing else, which is why they were developed. But using them can be tricky and requires care. I dare not use a fisheye in my forest -- all the trees, falling on me!!
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you browsed through the photos in this thread? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-flaun...ye-photos.html
Fisheye makes some incredible images.
11-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's a very good thing we're all different and have different tastes.

I agree though that fisheye picture done badly get old really very fast. I love the good ones though.
11-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Fisheye lens images are like Marmite. You either love or hate them, but you can't be indifferent.