Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax P&S with manual/RAW?

Is there one like it? I've been looking for a Pentax equivalent to the Canon G series or something the old Canon A700... but not the X90.

Such a cam may help me teach others photography and lead them to get a Pentax SLR later

12-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You've got two options, one of which isn't a Pentax and the other which isn't a point-and-shoot:

Fujifilm X10 Review - Overview- PentaxForums.com
Pentax Q Review - Overview- PentaxForums.com

To answer your question directly: current Pentax point-and-shoots all come with the same lineup of crappy automatic modes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ouch. Just as I feared
Guess it's going to be a price war between the Q and X10 for me then. Thanks Adam!

*still disappointed with Pentax P&S lineup*
03-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also look into Ricoh GRD IV. Just got mine and I'm loving it. Great manual control and RAW files. It has a very large cult following.

03-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

additional choices are Canon S100, G12 Panasonic LX5 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon P7100
03-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the suggestions! Will look up the GRD first... (trying to be loyalist, lol!)
03-10-2012, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I'm far from loyalist and just choose what's the best for me. I only had it for a week and I'm still trying to get my head around it, since it's very customisable. But I like the images, I even like the noise it makes at higher ISO, it looks very film grain like.

It also has a snap focus mode, which is great for street photography. It's something that I'm interested in, that's why I got GV-1 viewfinder. It can also do 3min exposures in manual mode. I didn't have much time to use it, but here are few pics that I got with it so far while playing with it.

The trees were black and I've pulled out some green out of them (shoot in 1:1 raw), I could do a bit more, but it was getting quiet noisy:

ISO 2468

Shot from my office (ignore the reflected lights):

Playing with macro mode:

Bleach bypass mode (it was getting dark, so the shutter speed was 1/20)
03-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
You can also look into Ricoh GRD IV. Just got mine and I'm loving it. Great manual control and RAW files. It has a very large cult following.
+1. I have the GRD3 and I just love it to bits. I've had it for 6 months or so and have acquired other cameras but it seems to have remained my favourite go anywhere shoot anything camera. The only thing it doesnt do is image stabilisation (and it turns out that I don't need it as much as I thought I would) and zoom. And who needs zoom anyway.

It also has a snap focus mode, which is great for street photography.
Great shots, dont you love the Ricoh colours? I do! You may not yet have noticed that once you go full manual, exposure longer than 8 seconds is available... up to 180 secs. Heres a 30 sec shot in the early hours before dawn

Its brilliant for street. But you won't need a viewfinder to do it. Snap focus makes "stealth" a cinch (even though it can get a bit lopsided!)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm just looked up its specs, so it's a fixed focal length model...
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, it is 28mm prime equivalent. But that's why I like it, surprisingly I think primes make me a better photographer and I only own primes for that reason. Also I like to shoot bit wider angle, I rarely use my 77mm prime.

kyteflyer, yes, I did notice the 3min exposure, it was one of the first things I've tested from my balcony.

Now I just have to use it on some real subjects, I'm going to wedding today and it's the only camera I will bring. Hopefully it turns out well.
03-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I've forgot to mention, they make a zoom model, but the lens doesn't have the sharpness of the prime.

kyteflyer, the IS on GRD IV isn't that great when held with hands, but I've noticed that with GV-1 if I hold it nice and tight I can get the shutter speed as low sa 1/5 and even got few keepers at 1s.
03-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've forgot to mention, they make a zoom model, but the lens doesn't have the sharpness of the prime.
The GX200 has a bit of zoom, if you were getting ricoh for zoom you would get the GXR and the appropriate module (S12 maybe? 24-70zoom on the same sensor as in the GRDx) The nice thing about GXR is that the various modules give such a variety and flexibility to your shooting, with all the benefits of that brilliant UI

kyteflyer, the IS on GRD IV isn't that great when held with hands, but I've noticed that with GV-1 if I hold it nice and tight I can get the shutter speed as low sa 1/5 and even got few keepers at 1s.
I was a bit anxious about the lack of IS when I bought it (and the X100) but I have found that its simply not an issue for me at all. And I have a fairly significant hand tremor at times!
03-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
You know what they say... "zoom with your feet".

Seriously, its a very very good camera. The only competitor it has in terms of IQ is the Olympus XZ-1 which has a 4x zoom, and the Oly is bigger all round. I love both of them. The GRD3 is always with me, and I take the Oly only if I think I might want a bit of zoom.

The IQ on the GRD is so good, you can crop a fair amount without losing too much inthe translation, for posting online.

If you were wanting to print... I dunno, I'd be looking at something with a much bigger sensor... and there, you get into camera size issues (eg as with the Canon G1X, the sensor in which is almost DSLR size)